I did it!

dyslexia

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 06:57 pm
eva wrote:
Hmm. I wonder if they'll let me accept tips.

never eat at a place called "mom's"
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 07:04 pm
http://www.anbg.gov.au/friends/torchid3.jpg

congratulations dear!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 07:42 pm
You get to operate the dance floor!?

<whistle>

Wow.

I left Tulsa "for good" in the early 90s, but except for intermentent periods I left in the early 80s. Every once in a while I could see myself living there again.

The last time I was at Philbrook was probably the mid-90s when they had already undergone a massive redo. It was gorgeous... but not quite as personal as it had been in the past, at least to me. They wouldn't just let you wander in to the library anymore. In the olden days everything was easy access and no questions asked. If you minded your manners they were happy to see you.

Mr. B was talking to his mom on the phone tonight and they were discussing that maybe we would visit this summer. I will be expecting my own guided tour and I can fill you in on the many misdemenors I committed on the grounds.

A million of my memories take place there.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 07:48 pm
Oh -- I meant to ask:

I was browsing through the museum website and noticed all of the American art they are showing. Did they reclaim their works from Gilcrease and Woolaroc or are a lot of things still on exhibit there?

I love Woolaroc too (Mr. B's grandma volunteered out there for years and years). The Phillips were amazing people and they collected some incredible art.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 09:15 pm
boomerang wrote:
The last time I was at Philbrook was probably the mid-90s when they had already undergone a massive redo. It was gorgeous... but not quite as personal as it had been in the past, at least to me. They wouldn't just let you wander in to the library anymore. In the olden days everything was easy access and no questions asked. If you minded your manners they were happy to see you.

This puzzles me. Once you pay the admission at the front desk, you're allowed to wander around all you like. I agree it's not quite as personal, but it's awfully nice to have all the extra amenities...a restaurant, an auditorium, a large museum shop, an education wing, etc. Those things are expected at all museums nowadays, though. Plus, there are three floors underground (under the new addition) for storage. They used to have to keep things in the attic (aargh!) Personally, the thing I miss the most is being able to enter through the original front door.

Quote:
Mr. B was talking to his mom on the phone tonight and they were discussing that maybe we would visit this summer. I will be expecting my own guided tour and I can fill you in on the many misdemenors I committed on the grounds...

You've GOT IT!!! I would LOVE to meet you, and Mr. B and Mo, too, of course! We'd have so much to talk about...but no guarantees I could keep it down to one hour, that's for sure! Wow, that would be so much fun. I will be traveling some this summer (July 5-12 and July 27-Aug. 3 for sure) so I hope we don't miss each other. Let me know when your plans are firmed up, okay? Wow...I'll have to plan something extra special!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 09:22 pm
The Phillips, are those the same people/any connection with the Phillips Collection in Washington, DC? That's one of my alltime favorite galleries. I think the Santa Barbara Museum showed a lot of work from the Phillips Collection too; that was another favorite musuem.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 09:26 pm
boomerang wrote:
Oh -- I meant to ask:

I was browsing through the museum website and noticed all of the American art they are showing. Did they reclaim their works from Gilcrease and Woolaroc or are a lot of things still on exhibit there?

I love Woolaroc too (Mr. B's grandma volunteered out there for years and years). The Phillips were amazing people and they collected some incredible art.

Gilcrease is world class. Their collection is amazing. They specialize in American art (defined as North and South America now). http://www.gilcrease.org

I was surprised to learn that very little of the art at Philbrook ever belonged to Waite and Genevieve Phillips. About 95% of it was donated by different collectors. (Samuel Kress, of the Kress 5 & 10-cent stores, donated the Italian Renaissance art, for example. The National Gallery got the largest portion of his collection, but the rest was divided between 18 smaller museums like Philbrook.)

I haven't been out to Woolaroc in years. Need to do that.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 09:36 pm
ossobuco wrote:
The Phillips, are those the same people/any connection with the Phillips Collection in Washington, DC? That's one of my alltime favorite galleries. I think the Santa Barbara Museum showed a lot of work from the Phillips Collection too; that was another favorite musuem.

No, different families. The Phillips family in DC made their money back east in steel and banking. They collected modern art. The Phillips family in Oklahoma made their money in oil. (Phillips Petroleum/Phillips 66, remember the old gas stations? That company was started by the brother of the man who built Philbrook.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 09:38 pm
Ahhhh! Thanks!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 07:53 am
Crucified land
Alexandre Hogue (1898-1994) American
CRUCIFIED LAND
oil on canvas, 1939
42 1/4" X 60 1/4

http://www.gilcrease.org/images/Samples/0127.2000.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 08:22 am
Re: I did it!
Eva wrote:
I haven't told anyone here on A2K that I've been doing this, but now that it's accomplished, it's time.

I was accepted into the Docent Internship program at my favorite art museum here in Tulsa last September. 40 people applied, only 20 were accepted. It involved nine months of fairly intensive training, including weekly 3-hour classes, outside research, practice tours, and in-depth evaluations by museum staff as well as mentors. It was much tougher than I ever would have anticipated. In the end, only 8 of us qualified.

I gave my first public tour a week ago today, and will officially "graduate" on the 24th. In addition to giving regular public tours for various groups and ages, I may also speak to community groups in the coming months and years.

This is something I've wanted to do for many years, but I always thought I'd save it for retirement. Last year I decided I was wasting time...I should go for it now. I'm glad I did. It's been a lot of work, but it feels like a major accomplishment.

Here's a link to the museum: http://www.philbrook.org

Congratulations, Eva!
It is a major accomplishment!
Very Happy
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 08:30 am
Wow!!! Fantastic news!!! This is great!!! I'm so proud of you!!! :-D

You go girl Cool

Congrats!!!
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 09:20 am
Eva,

How wonderful and exciting! I am happy for you.

(i am sorry it took me so long to notice this thread)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 10:41 am
Thanks, all!

BBB - Did you know Alexandre Hogue was the Head of the Art Department at Tulsa University for some time? Here's a link to another of his paintings which is owned by Philbrook..."Mother Earth Laid Bare." It was painted during the Depression (1938), but the imagery is just as powerful (if more political) today.

http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~amerstu/ce/summer97/images/Mother.jpeg
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 10:46 am
Eva wrote:
To give you a sample...

For my first tour, I capitalized on my marketing/p.r. background and chose pieces that told interesting stories about the way art has been bought and sold. I included pieces from French Academic (Salon), Early American Portraits, Italian Renaissance, Ming Dynasty tradeware, Taos School, Thomas Moran, Native American, African and Contemporary galleries.

Sounds like you make a pretty decent docent. Congratulations.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 11:15 am
Eva
Eva wrote:
Thanks, all!
BBB - Did you know Alexandre Hogue was the Head of the Art Department at Tulsa University for some time? Here's a link to another of his paintings which is owned by Philbrook..."Mother Earth Laid Bare." It was painted during the Depression (1938), but the imagery is just as powerful (if more political) today.
http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~amerstu/ce/summer97/images/Mother.jpeg

Eva, Alexandre Hogue was unknown to me until you introduced us. I'm rapidly becoming a big fan of his work.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 11:28 am
Avalanche by Wind
Avalanche by Wind by Alexandre Hogue must be a memory of the dust bowl:

http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/detail/Detail_hogue_alexandre.html
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 12:39 pm
Undoubtedly.

I'm sure glad Oklahoma doesn't look like that anymore. (At least, not this part of it.) I grew up hearing so many stories...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 05:49 pm
Congratulations, Eve, a difficult and worthwhile accomplishment. You will undoubtedly gain much from the avocation (as well as give a lot). That's what the good life is about, doing things for their intrinsic value, not just for the extrinsic value of money, power, influence, fame, etc.
0 Replies

official

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 05:01 am
Wow, very inspiring! Congratulations!
0 Replies