im a reality tv whore...

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 12:59 pm
Hey, is anybody else here into reality shows? I'm real into them. Are there any new shows that you guys have been checking out? I really like the fashion, designing, career-type reality shows. I think the best thing about those kinds of shows is all the drama that always happens, what do you guys like about reality TV?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 704 • Replies: 13
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 01:01 pm
Hi. My name's Kickycan, and I am a reality TV whore.

Welcome, realtvfan.

I can't help it. I love those freaks. Especially those crappy reality shows on VH1, like Charm School, Celebrity Fit Club, or I Love NY. I don't know what it is about them that attracts me, but I'm hooked.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 01:56 pm
You're kidding kicky, right?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 01:58 pm
Nope. I LOVE that ****. Why do you ask?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 02:02 pm
I just don't see you liking them.

I wouldn't call them freaks so much as trash.

then again, I've only watched a minute here and there.

so....seriously....what happens on these shows?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 02:14 pm
A lot of idiots fighting. Mostly there are shouting matches, but sometimes, if you get real lucky, you get to see actual loogies and/or punches launched. On the celebrity shows, it's even better, because they usually have a bunch of has-been or never-were b-list celebrities, some of whom have huge-ass egos. This causes a lot of complete @sshole behavior, which is supremely entertaining.

Of course, some people think it's just ****, and therefore can't appreciate it. Luckily, I am a **** gourmand.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 02:28 pm
I do know what you mean, sometimes you just really want to watch something shitty, because you don't want to think.

I'm trying to think of what I watch when I want to watch ****.

hmmmm...I'll have to think about that.

You know what though, I can remember when I was a kid in New Jersey, like 12 or 13, which is the perfect age for watching **** IMO...

Remember Bowling for Dollars?

It was out of some run down bowling alley, probably outside of Elizabeth or something.

There'd be all these horrible looking people, like REAL people, wearing bad cheap clothes with there hair all frizzy or greasy, and they'd let them throw a bowling ball and win like 50 bucks.

I like when the host would ask these frumps to tell us something about themselves, and it'd be like.

Well, Frank, my name is Stella Zatorsky, and I've worked for the past 35 years in the tolls booths on the New Jersey Turnpike. My hobby is smoking Belaires and saving the coupons to get coo coo clocks, and raising miniture dashunds....the ones that never shut up.

In case you're wondering, Stella Zatorsky is the name of my aunt who's been dead about 20 years. The only thing she didn't do in the above is work on the turnpike.

That was a cool show.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 04:28 am
Re: im a reality tv whore...
realtvfan wrote:
Hey, is anybody else here into reality shows? I'm real into them. Are there any new shows that you guys have been checking out? I really like the fashion, designing, career-type reality shows. I think the best thing about those kinds of shows is all the drama that always happens, what do you guys like about reality TV?

I watched Project Runway. I liked the creativity aspect of it. Designers are all given the same challenge. Each of them comes up with something different--some good, some less so. It interested me to see the creative variety. The personalities are secondary to me.

I watched Top Chef. Found I liked it less than Project Runway. Part of the problem may have been that I could see the designs but I couldn't taste the food. The personalities came into play more here (for me).

Except for Survivor and The Amazing Race, that's about it for me and reality tv.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 04:49 am
Roberta - I watch Project Runway, Top Chef and Top Design also. I don't consider them 'reality shows' actually. They're basically game shows where people compete for money and prizes, but instead of spinning a wheel and guessing a letter, the contestants have to actually be skilled and artistic and present a finished project.
The drama of the interaction of several highly creative people living and working together and the way it's edited is the only thing I see that's similar to Survivor, The Amazing Race and the like (which I don't watch.)

I don't see how being on an island or a faraway place with an entire film crew in your face all the time is "reality" at all! It's all staged and manipulated for entertainment.
0 Replies

realtvfan

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 11:19 am
Shear Genius!
Hello Roberta and happycat!

Have you two heard of the new reality show Shear Genius from Bravo? It's a lot like Project Runway, but with 12 aspiring hairstylists from around the world competing to be the next hairstyling Shear Genius. I've seen the first few episodes, and I have to admit they are pretty addicting. They have to do the craziest things, like use hedge clippers to cut their clients hair. It's pretty interesting. They are also forced to complete hair transformations in a limited amount of time. This season is going to be great. You can check it out at 10pm Wednesdays on Bravo. That means it's on tonight! Can't wait! Have you guys seen it yet?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 02:35 pm
I've seen Shear Genius. Not crazy about it. It's a spinoff of a spinoff of a spinoff. Which is like a copy of a copy of a copy. It loses something.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 02:41 pm
I like "Celebrity SHorts" . The host convinces celebrities to take off their shorts and they compare skid marks for the audience.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 08:35 pm
Re: Shear Genius!
realtvfan wrote:
Hello Roberta and happycat!

Have you two heard of the new reality show Shear Genius from Bravo? It's a lot like Project Runway, but with 12 aspiring hairstylists from around the world competing to be the next hairstyling Shear Genius. I've seen the first few episodes, and I have to admit they are pretty addicting. They have to do the craziest things, like use hedge clippers to cut their clients hair. It's pretty interesting. They are also forced to complete hair transformations in a limited amount of time. This season is going to be great. You can check it out at 10pm Wednesdays on Bravo. That means it's on tonight! Can't wait! Have you guys seen it yet?

welcome realtvfan! I'm not into the Shear Genius show at all. I mean....
it's just hair. I think Bravo is really reaching with that one. But, whatever floats yer boat. Smile
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 08:36 pm
farmerman wrote:
I like "Celebrity SHorts" . The host convinces celebrities to take off their shorts and they compare skid marks for the audience.

Hmmmm.... that's on SPIKE right? :wink:
0 Replies