Eorl

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 09:13 pm
Re: Book of Job
ELI003 wrote:
What were Gods intentions by punishing Job for doing absolutely nothing wrong?

What were the Ghosts of Christmas intentions in showing Ebaneezer the error of his ways?

To me, the more interesting question in both cases is;
What was the author trying to acheive?
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 10:43 am
neologist wrote:
tycoon wrote:
Well, I thought God's unwillingness or inability to stop misery was the story, but that's alright.
He did stop the misery. Perhaps the Cliff's Notes version left that out.

There's no more misery on earth? God put an end to it? Someone should have told the author of Lamentations before he penned it. Weeping, affliction, mourning. Sin, filthiness, sorrow. Desolation, destruction, wrath.

Let me turn the page. On second thought, I've had enough.

neologist wrote:
You are free do do so just as did Adam and Eve. In the future, when Job, his wife, and all of his children are living happily, I hope you will be there to ask them how they feel about it.

Is God going to try trick me with a snake as he did with Adam and Eve? I've already clearly stated I want nothing to do with him, and I try to keep him away from my family.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 03:17 pm
tycoon wrote:
neologist wrote:
tycoon wrote:
Well, I thought God's unwillingness or inability to stop misery was the story, but that's alright.
He did stop the misery. Perhaps the Cliff's Notes version left that out.

There's no more misery on earth? God put an end to it? Someone should have told the author of Lamentations before he penned it. Weeping, affliction, mourning. Sin, filthiness, sorrow. Desolation, destruction, wrath.
OOOPS! Somehow I thought you were speaking only of Job's misery. As for the rest of us, we must wait. Sorry if things aren't moving fast enough for you. Why don't you tell God how to do it?
tycoon wrote:

Let me turn the page. On second thought, I've had enough.

neologist wrote:
You are free do do so just as did Adam and Eve. In the future, when Job, his wife, and all of his children are living happily, I hope you will be there to ask them how they feel about it.

Is God going to try trick me with a snake as he did with Adam and Eve? I've already clearly stated I want nothing to do with him, and I try to keep him away from my family.
God did not trick Adam and Eve. the god of this world did the trick. That is the god you should keep away from your family.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 04:32 pm
neologist, we need to refer to the organizational chart again. I can't keep reminding you of this, or else we're not going to make any progress.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 04:55 pm
You keep forgetting that the entire world has been placed in the hands of Satan until such time as God deems it appropriate to act. Sorry if it seems overly long to you, but you are not the timekeeper.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 05:02 pm
I feel so proud to say that I haven't the faintest idea what this thread is all about. Who is this boj job character?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 09:57 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
I feel so proud to say that I haven't the faintest idea what this thread is all about. Who is this boj job character?
Not surprised.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 04:34 am
Re: Book of Job
ELI003 wrote:
What were Gods intentions by punishing Job for doing absolutely nothing wrong?
What are you asking me for?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 06:42 am
Isn't the Book of Job normally called an employee handbook?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 08:08 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Thats it. God gave him the Job book, he followed it to the letter, but got fired anyway. A salutory lesson for employees even today.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 08:51 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Thats it. God gave him the Job book, he followed it to the letter, but got fired anyway. A salutory lesson for employees even today.
Ahhh! Now I understand. You got bored and didn't finish the book. So you didn't see where God ". . . blessed the end of Job afterward more than his beginning." (ch. 42, vs. 12)

Don't worry. I'm sure your reading skills will improve with practice.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 09:02 am
Well, yeah the employer ALWAYS blesses the end of the job more so than the beginning. I mean, it's done then.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 09:03 am
Sorry, I don't mean to make light of religion but you people get WAY too serious sometimes.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 09:05 am
neologist wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Ahhh! Now I understand. You got bored and didn't finish the book...
I didnt start it my friend. And unless you can give me any clue as to why I should, I'm going to leave this Job Book thing firmly closed.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 11:19 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
neologist wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
I didnt start it my friend. And unless you can give me any clue as to why I should, I'm going to leave this Job Book thing firmly closed.
OK. Fair enough.

You didn't start it.

You never read it.

And you are posting because? . . .
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 11:33 am
neologist wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
neologist wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
OK. Fair enough.

You didn't start it.

You never read it.

Now that is a good question. Curiosity I guess. God punishes Job for something he didn't do and people are trying to second guess God's motivation...by asking other people. Isn't it all rather a fruitless excercise?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 04:06 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
neologist wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
neologist wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
OK. Fair enough.

You didn't start it.

You never read it.

Now that is a good question. Curiosity I guess. God punishes Job for something he didn't do and people are trying to second guess God's motivation...by asking other people. Isn't it all rather a fruitless excercise?
Yeah, but if you had read even the beginning, you would know Job's trials were the work of Satan and not at all God's idea. You have taken the position of Job's three tormentors, Eliphaz, Bildad and Zophar, who wrongly concluded that Job was being punished.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 04:30 pm
neologist wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
neologist wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
neologist wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
OK. Fair enough.

You didn't start it.

You never read it.

Yeah, but if you had read even the beginning, you would know Job's trials were the work of Satan and not at all God's idea. You have taken the position of Job's three tormentors, Eliphaz, Bildad and Zophar, who wrongly concluded that Job was being punished.
Well I dont want to be in the EBZ gang Neo, what should I do? (this is getting more interesting btw)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 05:01 pm
It might be interesting to read the book
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 05:14 pm
neologist wrote:
It might be interesting to read the book
Ok you're on. Give me 10 minutes...no actually its late here, tomorrow I'm gonna be a Job'spert.
0 Replies