ELI003

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 09:36 pm
What were Gods intentions by punishing Job for doing absolutely nothing wrong?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,045 • Replies: 41
No top replies

Mills75

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 09:49 pm
Wasn't it to prove to Satan that Job was truly faithful to God? As I recall, Job was this devout and faithful follower of God who was prosperous and had a large loving family. Satan argued that Job's devotion and fidelity were merely byproducts of his blessed existence; if his blessings were taken away, Satan argued, Job would curse God. So, of course, God consented to allowing the testing of Job.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 09:57 pm
If God is all-knowing wouldn't he already know this? Does he have to punish Job for being a good guy? I wouldn't even do that to my worst enemy!
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 10:09 pm
It's not about being all-knowing...it's about being insecure with one's self. God wanted to prove (to Satan) that Job really loved him. Otherwise, I suppose, Satan might have thought less of God, and that would have made God feel bad.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 11:50 pm
and so....didn't Satan really win that argument?

He "made" God cause an innocent persons suffering by preying on God's insecurity?
0 Replies

ELI003

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 07:53 am
Book of Job
Since God is immortal than does he know what pain and suffering is or has he ever experienced this? Also, this is the last documented time that God directly spoke with someone (correct me if i'm wrong)... does God realize what he did is wrong? Lastly, what does it say in the bible about fearing God? I was under the impression that God says he shouldn't be feared?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 08:15 am
Deuteronomy
5:29 Oh, that their hearts would be inclined to fear me and keep all my commands always, so that it might go well with them and their children forever!

10:12-13 And now, O Israel, what does the Lord your God ask of you but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to observe the Lord's commands and decrees that I am giving you today for your own good?

Jeremiah
5:22-24 Should you not fear me?" declares the Lord. "Should you not tremble in my presence? I made the sand a boundary for the sea, an everlasting barrier it cannot cross. The waves may roll, but they cannot prevail; they may roar, but they cannot cross it. But these people have stubborn and rebellious hearts; they have turned aside and gone away. They do not say to themselves, 'Let us fear the Lord our God, who gives autumn and spring rains in season, who assures us of the regular weeks of harvest.'

32:39-40 I will give them singleness of heart and action, so that they will always fear me for their own good and the good of their children after them. I will make an everlasting covenant with them: I will never stop doing good to them, and I will inspire them to fear me, so that they will never turn away from me.

Luke
1:50 His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation.

Revelation
14:6-7 Then I saw another angel flying in midair, and he had the eternal gospel to proclaim to those who live on the earth--to every nation, tribe, language and people. He said in a loud voice, "Fear God and give him glory, because the hour of his judgment has come. Worship him who made the heavens, the earth, the sea and the springs of water."

15:4 Who will not fear you, O Lord, and bring glory to your name? For you alone are holy. All nations will come and worship before you, for your righteous acts have been revealed."

19:5 Then a voice came from the throne, saying: "Praise our God, all you his servants, you who fear him, both small and great!"

Leviticus
19:14 "'Do not curse the deaf or put a stumbling block in front of the blind, but fear your God. I am the Lord.

25:17 Do not take advantage of each other, but fear your God. I am the Lord your God.

1Chronicles
16:25-26 For great is the Lord and most worthy of praise; he is to be feared above all gods. For all the gods of the nations are idols, but the Lord made the heavens.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 12:51 pm
God gave Job a new wifey and kids in the end so I don't know what all the fuss is about.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 12:34 pm
I've always liked the book of Job. One of the most accessible parts of the bible.
0 Replies

Scorpius

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 09:11 pm
There's a lot more in Job than the dual with Satan and job.

There is also the message that we must also always be prepared to meet God at any given time. ie Jobs children were behaving adversely therefore were ill prepared for what they faced.

Another is an analytical beauty which applies to all people...the cursing of his parents, then particularly his mother for his existance.

Lots more important messages in Job too. Smile
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 09:43 pm
Read the account again. Jehovah didn't punish Job. All of his trials came from Satan. After Satan was proved a liar, Jehovah rewarded Job greatly.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 04:53 am
neologist wrote:
Read the account again. Jehovah didn't punish Job. All of his trials came from Satan. After Satan was proved a liar, Jehovah rewarded Job greatly.

What we need here is an organizational chart.

Step one: Draw a rectangle at the very top.

Step two: Draw a flow line down.

Step three: Write in the rectangle the name of who's ultimately responsible.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 05:03 am
Chai wrote:
and so....didn't Satan really win that argument?

He "made" God cause an innocent persons suffering by preying on God's insecurity?

BIBLE-0 CHAI-1

ROFLMFAO! IF GOD IS REAL HE JUST GOT OWNED!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 08:29 am
tycoon wrote:
neologist wrote:

What we need here is an organizational chart.

Step one: Draw a rectangle at the very top.

Step two: Draw a flow line down.

Step three: Write in the rectangle the name of who's ultimately responsible.
The entire world has been given into the hands of Satan for a time and for a reason allegorically equivalent to Job's trial. This is why Jesus referred to Satan several times as the ruler of this world. So the rectangle temporarily at the top belongs to Satan.

Next you should ask why does temporary seem so long. There is an answer to that as well.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 12:40 pm
We read that Satan went to God with a bet that he could make Job denounce God. God approved the wager. There's no doubt whose name appears in the top rectangle.

In the midst of the inhumane suffering, Job asks great questions. It is my opinion God should have had the dignity of answering them instead of thundering back with inane questions of his own, such as "Where were you when I made the sinew of the rhinocerus's testicles?"

Such bad prose. Sheesh. We are all still waiting on Job's questions to be answered.

And what do you mean God rewarded Job greatly afterward? Was his new wifey younger?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 04:35 pm
Call Satan's challenge a bet, if you will. But the challenge extends all the way back to the Garden of Eden when Satan insinuated that man would be better off choosing his own moral direction, as if the creator did not have in mind the best interests of his creations.

Satan has insisted that people will serve God only so long as there is a direct reward. He has demanded top have all of us, one way or another to prove his point. He failed with God's firstborn son, with Job and with others; but by and large he has succeeded with the bulk of humanity.

This God you are racing to blame for human misery has the power to undo all that Satan has done. But that's another story.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 12:54 pm
Well, I thought God's unwillingness or inability to stop misery was the story, but that's alright.

As for God having the best interest of his creatures in mind, I'm not convinced. Whenever I read the account of the trials of Job I always come to the same conclusion: Keep this God away from my family. I'm rather partial to the current members.

Likewise, I'll find my own ethical and moral path. He is no one to emulate.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 06:00 pm
tycoon wrote:
Well, I thought God's unwillingness or inability to stop misery was the story, but that's alright.
He did stop the misery. Perhaps the Cliff's Notes version left that out.
tycoon wrote:

As for God having the best interest of his creatures in mind, I'm not convinced. Whenever I read the account of the trials of Job I always come to the same conclusion: Keep this God away from my family. I'm rather partial to the current members.

Likewise, I'll find my own ethical and moral path. He is no one to emulate.
You are free do do so just as did Adam and Eve. In the future, when Job, his wife, and all of his children are living happily, I hope you will be there to ask them how they feel about it.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 07:30 pm
I thought Heaven and eternal BLISS was the ultimate reward. How many people would support god if there were no reward? If there was no heaven, then why else would people choose to follow a religion.

Neo, you keep making this claim that there is no prize, but in fact god claims to give the ultimate prize.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 07:42 pm
Those who expect to go to heaven should ask themselves why Adam and Eve were promised an earthly life, and why Jesus reminded his followers that 'the meek shall inherit the earth'.

If Adam and Eve had not sinned, then, according to the bible, they would still be here. Where does it say god changed his mind?
0 Replies