Feelings about homosexuality without religion

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 05:37 pm
Hello bdoug,

Your analogy is flawed. To skew the arguement about homophobia, your racial analogy would have to be a black person racist against other black people and trying to hide it.

For instance, a mixed race person would have to be trying to hide that they are of multiple races and in doing so, lash out at one of their parent races.

This kind of thing is actually common.

I still stand by homophobia is a real reason that many people lash out violently against gays. Further, I believe the lashing out problem often comes from an individuals discomfrt with their own sexuality/identity.

Sexual identities go much further beyond who we have sex with remember. It is how we interact, w dress, we speak, the music we like, the way we dance.... etc.

A frat biy doesn't have to think he is gay to have irrational fear and hate towards gay people, he just has to be uncomfortable with the idea that his sexual identity in any way is hsared with someone that is gay. LAshing out is a simple demonstation; a projection of that idea.

You're gay, I'm not.
0 Replies

BDoug

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 09:50 am
Diest TKO wrote:
Hello bdoug,

Your analogy is flawed. To skew the arguement about homophobia, your racial analogy would have to be a black person racist against other black people and trying to hide it.

For instance, a mixed race person would have to be trying to hide that they are of multiple races and in doing so, lash out at one of their parent races.

This kind of thing is actually common.

I still stand by homophobia is a real reason that many people lash out violently against gays. Further, I believe the lashing out problem often comes from an individuals discomfrt with their own sexuality/identity.

Sexual identities go much further beyond who we have sex with remember. It is how we interact, w dress, we speak, the music we like, the way we dance.... etc.

A frat biy doesn't have to think he is gay to have irrational fear and hate towards gay people, he just has to be uncomfortable with the idea that his sexual identity in any way is hsared with someone that is gay. LAshing out is a simple demonstation; a projection of that idea.

You're gay, I'm not.

I understand your way of thinking and fully support it, I just don't think that people battling their inner homosexual demons is widespread enough to account for the amount of homophobia present in society.

It just seems to me people need to villify others for one reason or another. Whether it be past grievances, a way to rally allies to their cause or simply a sense of entitlement and elitism. It's easier to do that when there is something different about that group of people that sets them apart from the rest. I.e. "look at that person over there, he's not one of us"
0 Replies

I Stereo

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 11:37 am
Bdoug - do you mean that you see this kind of agression as inevitable? An issue os sociology?
0 Replies

BDoug

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 11:57 am
I think people finding a group to hate is sad but inevitable. Nothing brings people together like a common enemy. I just think that it takes time to filter out the nonsense and realize people for who they are. In a decade or two people will lay of the gays and go after someone else preaching that "god hates them" for this or that reason. Just as religion was used decades ago to defend segregation and prohibit interracial marriage.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:42 pm
aaaaannnddd....religion is as good a tool as any.
0 Replies

BDoug

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:56 pm
What better tool than an omnipresent "god" whose existence isn't based in any sort of inkling of scientific fact. When all you have to do is pull out your "faith" trump card.

Person A : "I believe you're wrong, god doesnt mean that"
Person B : "Oh yes he does!"
Person A : "Prove it."
Person B: " I don't have to, I have faith! Na na na na..no tag backs."
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 10:13 pm
BDoug wrote:
I think people finding a group to hate is sad but inevitable. Nothing brings people together like a common enemy. I just think that it takes time to filter out the nonsense and realize people for who they are. In a decade or two people will lay of the gays and go after someone else preaching that "god hates them" for this or that reason. Just as religion was used decades ago to defend segregation and prohibit interracial marriage.

I get that for sure. But still, you don't hink that people are at odds ends with their own sexualy identity? Even if a minority were and a minority of that was to a degree of lashing out, doesn't it seem to make sense?
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 08:09 am
BDoug wrote:
What better tool than an omnipresent "god" whose existence isn't based in any sort of inkling of scientific fact. When all you have to do is pull out your "faith" trump card.

Person A : "I believe you're wrong, god doesnt mean that"
Person B : "Oh yes he does!"
Person A : "Prove it."
Person B: " I don't have to, I have faith! Na na na na..no tag backs."

Love it. Right on the head...
0 Replies

BDoug

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 03:57 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
BDoug wrote:

I get that for sure. But still, you don't hink that people are at odds ends with their own sexualy identity? Even if a minority were and a minority of that was to a degree of lashing out, doesn't it seem to make sense?

Oh no it makes sense. I don't argue that it happens. I just argue that it happens to a sufficient enough degree that it would account for the amount of homophobia in the world.
0 Replies