Christ Stopped at Eboli, and other movies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 02:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds, I finally did get a disc of The Leopard (or whatever the title was) and flagged on the viewing. Very beautiful, as expected, but the famous ballroom scene seemed infinitely long and I stopped it and sent the disc back.

Odd, in that the book is relatively short with what I thought of as "tight" writing, or at least not droning writing.

I suppose I should put it on my netflix list one more time, my movie moods vary..
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 03:49 pm
@ossobuco,
Meantime, I'm 35 minutes into this six hour number and following. Swift cuts, this is not a sluggish thing, at least so far. I thought it was more like ten minutes.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 04:14 pm
@ossobuco,
Geez, I have to hurry up and order disc 2 of The Best of Youth..
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 07:42 pm
@ossobuco,
So now I'm watching, I suppose, a re creation of the Florence flood, which - two of my pals were there, then. Both nurses, one in an embarrassing situation at the time, got involved for some weeks on the volunteer/rescue work. Or one did.. (the one that was the VA nurse).
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 11:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, a few hours into it, I'm still interested (remember, I'm crabby, and didn't like the Leopard).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 06:19 pm
@ossobuco,
I ended up thrilled with part I of "Best of Youth". The 3.5 or so hours went like hot cakes. I was literally surprised the time went so fast.

I watched disc 2 last evening. It was still taut re pacing/cutting until close to the end, but then less taut was the right way to go.
I wish I had the package of discs together, as by the time I saw disc 2, I was confused on a few things. But never mind, I plan to see the whole thing again.

Excellent acting (some of the best casting I've seen, I didn't spend even a second thinking someone was being filmed acting - well, maybe, but not like usual) in interesting story of several people over almost 40 years. No easy giveaways, you figure who people are as the story unfolds. Good music (mixed sources) but sound/music not annoying, well integrated.

I'll have to look up again about the screenplay and directing, they get my 'bravo'. The photography good too. I could go on and on..

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 07:15 pm
@ossobuco,
Msolga, I'd be surprised if you wouldn't like this movie, at least I'd like to hear your take on it. There is some politics with strong divergence among friends and family, all sorts of stuff going on.
0 Replies