Christ Stopped at Eboli, and other movies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 08:37 am
"Amacord," of course, the hands-down classic but "Roma" has its high points. The trip into Rome in the rain with the camera running on the back of the truck, the subway excavation workers bursting into an ancient ruin with incredible frescos, the "Papal" fashion show poking satirical fun at all the regalia in the Catholic church.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 08:39 am
The motorcycles circling....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 08:48 am
Ah. Amacord, not Amarcord! Thanks for the correct spelling LW. (I thought it looked a bit strange when I typed it!)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 08:59 am
Amarcord
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:31 am
Yeah, I'm the one guilty of tye typo -- it is morning here and I'm only on my first cup of coffee! Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:45 am
<thinking of coffee in Roma...>
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 07:30 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Yeah, I'm the one guilty of tye typo -- it is morning here and I'm only on my first cup of coffee! Very Happy

Could have sworn it said Amacord when I Googled .... how confusing.

But please continue!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 08:32 am
It does prompt the Google "Did you mean Amarcord," with the IMDb listing at the top.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 08:51 am
Lightwizard wrote:
It does prompt the Google "Did you mean Amarcord," with the IMDb listing at the top.

Ah.

Amarcord!

Now please continue!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 06:04 pm
So I saw Malena the second time today; Diane watched it with me. I liked it better this time. Fairly tight little movie.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 06:48 pm
ossobuco wrote:
So I saw Malena the second time today; Diane watched it with me. I liked it better this time. Fairly tight little movie.
I was on the sofa, asleep.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 07:00 pm
with two dogs between the tv chairs and the sofa...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 05:56 pm
So, I saw Bread and Chocolate again, twice, once by myself, and once with Diane, Dys on the sofa again. (Is it over?)

I'll admit that in viewing #3 - which was probably number four, as I might have seen it twice back in the seventies - I was fractionally less joyous than during viewing #1.

Still, it remains a favorite. It is an episodic playout of the Sisyphus story, relating to matters of poverty, class, cultural mores, all in a rather grandstanding comedic way. I loved it then, and I still do.

Meantime, I just read a NY Times review on it by Vincent Canby, whom I seem to remember as rather light on a lot of reviews, in my memory. Well, he dumped on this. * I don't disagree with Canby entirely, perhaps agree mostly, but I think he missed the flume.

Some links, but see it first -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nino_Manfredi
http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/filmography.html?p_id=101010
* http://movies2.nytimes.com/mem/movies/review.html_r=1&title1=Bread%20and%20Chocolate%20%28Movie%29&title2=&reviewer=VINCENT%20CANBY&pdate=19780714&v_id=85891&oref=slogin

I guess I lost the Canby link, through that 20% routine that happens.
Just check it out re Bread and Chocolate and .... Canby, and it should show up on google.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 06:46 pm
Hey, thanks! I've got a long list now to rent from NetFlix which I rejoin every summer as the reruns come on -- and "The Sopranos" is finis this next Sunday.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 06:52 pm
Meantime, I've seen Garden of the Finzi-Continis (or, in ital, Finzi-Contini). Waiting to see it for, I guess, the fourth time, with Diane in the next few days.

Now I'd like to read Bassano's book, said on some links to be autobiographical, and somewhat less mysterious on some aspects than the movie.

Probably time for a blowser like Amarcord.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 05:39 pm
I see I need to update this, re some movies I've seen since the last post.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 07:24 pm
I saw Fellini's "Roma" for the 3rd time this year, and every time I see it I like it a little less.
Some scenes -noted here- are unforgettable: the underground frescoes, the clerical fashion show, the motorcycles, Young Fellini's arrival to the guest house. Others have faded with time or became too tiring (the gigolò and the American tourist, the whorehouses, the overlong traffic scene).
All in all (I know I'm being pretentious) I think Fellini grasped some very high points of Rome's soul, missed some equally important ones and misfired quite a few times.

---
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 07:47 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Probably time for a blowser like Amarcord.

Yeah, why not, osso?

Good fun!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 10:35 pm
Yelp!!

I just watched the start of Seven Beauties, which I saw some long time ago.

Tears rolling down my face.

Well, am less than seven minutes into it..

Man, what a sequence.
I do remember some of what will come in the rest of the film. Anyway, what a start.

I didn't react like this when I first saw the film, as it wasn't on a dvd that I could start and stop, but on a theater screen.

Annoying Koch Lorber lead in (I remember them as Fox Lorber), but I managed to bypass that.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 02:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Time to revisit this thread - I'm just starting the six hour 2 disc movie "The Best of Youth", disc 1;

review here:
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050331/REVIEWS/50310004/1023

One of the things I like about netflix (and I would probably like about similar dvd watching) is the ability to stop, start, revisit. I suppose everyone is used to that now, but it is a pleasure of movie watching that helps to balance the loss of the engaged-audience theater experience.

I'm late to seeing this - have any of you movie buffs?