Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 04:57 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,678 • Replies: 57
No top replies

Chai

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 05:10 am
I don't depend on society to create my heros, or my happiness.

I also never looked at anyone in high school as being a hero. Why would someone who can throw a ball into a specific area be a hero? That's ridiculous.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 08:00 am
Chai wrote:

I also never looked at anyone in high school as being a hero. Why would someone who can throw a ball into a specific area be a hero? That's ridiculous.

How do you create a sense of self-value?

I suspect most teens think that to be negative is to be cool and to be cool is to be heroic. To aggravate adults is, for many teens, to be valuable and thus a heroic act. Society provides many adults for teens to be negative toward and thereby provides teens with the means for heroic action.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 08:03 am
Re: High School Heroes
coberst wrote:

Are you suggesting that the only reason you continue posting the same nonsense in multiple forums is that, if you don't, you'll go on some sort of shooting spree?

If that's the case, then keep up the good work.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 08:33 am
coberst wrote:
Chai wrote:

I suspect most teens think that to be negative is to be cool and to be cool is to be heroic. To aggravate adults is, for many teens, to be valuable and thus a heroic act. Society provides many adults for teens to be negative toward and thereby provides teens with the means for heroic action.

Well, I'm far from being a teen, but your question regarding how does one create a sense of self-value and equating it to aggravating adults being a heroic act is non-sensical.

one developes a sense of self value from an infinite amount of sources. The most important source is your own self awareness. You don't need others to be aware of yourself as an individual.

Where do you get this stuff?
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 12:07 pm
Chai wrote:
coberst wrote:
Chai wrote:

Well, I'm far from being a teen, but your question regarding how does one create a sense of self-value and equating it to aggravating adults being a heroic act is non-sensical.

one developes a sense of self value from an infinite amount of sources. The most important source is your own self awareness. You don't need others to be aware of yourself as an individual.

Where do you get this stuff?

Books, try them you will be surprised at what you might find.

If you have finished your schooling then the best thing to do is go to a local college and for a small yearly fee you can get a "Friends of the Library" and have access to the world of books.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 12:13 pm
My self-esteem is on a pass/fail system. I passed years and years ago, and haven't plagued myself with the issue since then. I second Joe's sentiment, and sincerely hope that i don't live anywhere near Coberst.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 12:28 pm
Coberst. Your answer makes no sense. You are implying that if one reads books one would agree with your premise. False.

As to your jibe, what, are you trying to be a "hero" by sassing me?

Like Set, I've passed my own test, and have my own barometer as to my self worth, and it's not dependant on others.

In fact, those that do need to have heros are in my opinion sheep.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 12:29 pm
I think most people rely (at least to a certain degree- some totally- and some not so much) on outside societal cues when they estimate their self-worth. I think the time in most peoples' lives when their inner sense of value either sinks to its nadir or reaches its zenith depending on how they perceive acceptance by those outside themselves, is during adolescence. I think the only time during a life that this reliance on outside perception of acceptance is more crucial is from infancy to age two.

So yeah, highschools are interesting little microcosms.
I was too rebellious when I was actually in highschool to ever admit that I found any of the super achievers heroic. One part of me viewed what I felt was the whole slavish striving for excellence, popularity or achievement boring and uninteresting- but another part of me secretly envied those who were so adept at doing what needed to be done the way it was "supposed" to be done which resulted in such acclaim.
I always did okay, scholastically and socially, but prided myself on being just different enough that I couldn't possibly fit the mold. I developed my interests and talents much more outside of school than in school. I think I convinced myself that I didn't fit that particular mold as a defense mechanism, so I wouldn't have to try and possibly fail.

But after it was all over- I did wish that I had tried harder, and gotten more involved. And now as an adult- I have nothing but respect and admiration for the kids who push themselves to excell- whether it is at their studies or at a sport, or as political activists, whatever- mostly because I see what effort and energy it takes and I admire that. I often find myself looking at these kids and thinking they're heroes.

My work brings me a lot of satisfaction and feelings of reward. I also feel that I am lucky to meet and work with the people I do, so aside from being rewarded by my work in terms of feeling useful, I also have the daily bonus of finding it fun. I couldn't ask for more in a job.
I don't feel heroic, but I do feel necessary- and that's affirming.

I think society (with all of its needs) could definitely supply everyone with the opportunity to feel necessary. I think it's up to the individual to make the choice to participate- and perhaps achieve and accomplish something in their life that made them feel heroic.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 12:38 pm
Watch it aidan....don't sass me.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 12:54 pm
Uh, okay chai- don't mind me- you can rest assured I'll never try to infiltrate the cool kids lunch table or anything like that that might be crazily upsetting to the natural balance of the world as it is, always has been, and always will be. Laughing

*have I ever told you, I honestly do admire your sense of "sassiness" though? You can be funny as hell sometimes- like your new signature and avatar too- and no- I'm not sucking up....it's true...
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 12:54 pm
Setanta,

Stay clear of Franklin, NC 28734 and possibly the Southwestern Community College Library ! :wink:
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 01:06 pm
Coberst- do you live in Franklin, NC?! I lived at various times in Asheville, Swannanoa, and Black Mountain, NC and I babysat for people in Franklin and Hendersonville. I worked at Camp Green Cove in Tuxedo for a couple of years. I love that area of NC- Lake Lure, Bat Cave. Beautiful area of the country...

or was Fresco referring to something or someone else?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 01:07 pm
fresco wrote:
Setanta,

Stay clear of Franklin, NC 28734 and possibly the Southwestern Community College Library ! :wink:

Is that where the "September Scholar" hangs out, Boss?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 01:09 pm
If you do live in Franklin- check out Warren Wilson College. I think you'd find a community of learners and activists you'd appreciate and enjoy.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 01:17 pm
Setanta,

Sherlock Holmes would have loved Google Smile
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 01:24 pm
That's kind of creepy. Why are you even interested in where a particular poster who you've shown nothing but disdain for, lives?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 01:51 pm
aidan wrote:
That's kind of creepy. Why are you even interested in where a particular poster who you've shown nothing but disdain for, lives?

In another thread, Coberst was ranting on and on about "September Scholars," so Fresco did a search. All he found was one "September Scholar," to wit, Coberst. You can hardly allege that Fresco is being "creepy" with any justification when Coberst is responsible for having dropped the clues which lead to the information.

I must say that i am often amused and dismayed to see how little you apprently know about other members at this forum, Aidan, and i'm more than a little contemptuous of your judgment of Fresco, given that you apprently don't know much about Coberst, or about Fresco.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 02:15 pm
I was referring to his reference to Sherlock Holmes- implying detective work-which I found confusing given that there just doesn't seem to be a need for that kind of thing. I guess I think if someone wanted to know where someone lived, they would ask that person- and then if that person wanted them to know they could either choose to tell or not to tell.

I guess it also kind of struck me odd because there doesn't seem to be a lot of genuine respectful interest in Coberst's September Scholar idea. So why pursue it?

You know Setanta- I can't explain your amusement or dismay toward me, because you know very little about me-at least we've never had any direct discussions except for about springtime plants and maybe a post or two about pirates.
But I will grant you that you are right about the fact that I know very little about the majority of regular posters on this forum- because very few of the regular posters have ever shown any attempt to honestly get to know me. I am someone who respects privacy and preferences. I don't bother people who don't seem to want to be bothered with me. That's my bottom line. I've been that way since highschool Laughing - what can I say- it works for me.
Because fortunately for me- in my life-it has been my experience that I have found wonderful, outstanding people who I get to know well, who get to know me, in almost every arena I've ever been in. The same is true on this forum. It just may be that I've gotten to know different people than those who you deem valuable and have been interested in getting to know. But that's the way the world goes round, right? Is that okay?

I don't know anything about Coberst- except that I find some of his ideas interesting to respond to. That's all I need to know. I guess I also now know what his zip code is. But as I said, I didn't feel that I needed to know that in order to participate in his threads- on a positive basis- and most certainly not if I felt at all negatively about him or his ideas.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 02:23 pm
Coberst is a source of almost endless amusement and contempt at this, and at many other fora. In fact, his reception here is rather mild. For example, at another forum, there is an "I hate Coberst" thread, which is still available from the archives. The author suggests that he be banned:

Quote:
What a pretentious ****. If this were my site I'd ban him for being an idiot.

In fact, when i did a search with the criterion "I hate Coberst," i got more than 2300 results. He has managed to annoy an amazing number of people in cyber space. In fact, Coberst doesn't want to discuss anything with you, he wants you to agree with him, or be damned, as i've pointed out time and again in his threads.

No, i don't know you, but i do know you've got no business to refer to Fresco as "creepy," and i frankly resent you for it, given that your comment was born of exactly that ignorance of Fresco which you ascribe to me with regard to you.
0 Replies