Ebert's GREAT MOVIES, Part 4: "Beauty and the Beast"

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 10:47 am
I know what you might have first thought, but the Disney version is not in Ebert's book. This is the Cocteau who also directed another of my favorite foreign films, "Orphee." His short film, "Eye of the Poet" is an exercise in surrealism that has always stimulated my imagination. For imagination in bringing the story of "Beauty and the Beast" to the screen, Cocteau's artistic imagery is without peer. His influence on movie makers is indelible.

Here's a link to Ebert's essay and to IMDB:

Ebert's Review
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,123 • Replies: 11
No top replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 11:09 am
I saw and liked both films very much. Though Cocteau's version is deeper and more truthful to the original fairy tale. I just loved Trousdale & Wise's animated version.

Cocteau's film is so oniric, you feel La Belle et La BĂȘte is indeed your dream.
Two things stroke me in that film. The sense of magnificent decay in The Beast's castle and the magnetic power of The Beast.
Isn't that beastly force with a sad, golden heart -taking Bruno Bettleheim's approach to fairy tales- what every woman wants, deep in her heart? Isn't Prince Charming rather a social sales product?

Disney's version is lighthearted and fun. In exchange for the bowdlerizing of the tale, we have those wonderful animated house objects that make The Beast's house dreadful and lively at the same time. We also have a beautiful depiction of The Beast's transformation through love, and a great music score. I think that, along with both versions of Fantasia, this is the top animation film of the Disney factory.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 11:31 am
I couldn't fix the poll or the link to IMDB in edit:

Here's the IMDB link to the film:

IMDB page on "Beauty and the Beast"

The poll was the best musical score for "Beauty and the Beast"

Georges Auric for the original Cocteau film
Phillip Glass for the original Cocteau film
Disney's animated version
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 02:12 pm
I haven't seen any version of B&TB in over 40 years (Yes I'm in pre-geezerhood) What I would really like to know though, is who has seen the dark, live version of it with Angelica Huston, and what did you think of it? By the way I found the Drew Barrymore, non-fantasy version of Cinderella, refreshing and enjoyable.
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 04:56 pm
Did <Orphee> take place in South America?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 05:29 pm
There's more than one film Orphee/Orpheus but Cocteau's takes place in France.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0041719
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 05:47 pm
I guess I should have realized there are no French-speaking countries in S.A., as least, no large ones.
So, who made <Opheus>?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 05:59 pm
Jean Cocteau wrote and directed "Orphee," but you might follow the link and search for others with that title or with that words in the title. I think you're thinking of "Black Orpheus."
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 10:44 pm
Lightwizard<

You've caught me red-faced. I have never seen any of Cocteau's work that I recall, so I'll have to sit out Part 4. I shall, however, be awaiting Part 5.

Thank you, as always, for your invitations. Very Happy
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 10:59 am
I've never seen Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast. Crying or Very sad I'll just sit back and enjoy the comments here.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 11:20 am
Turner Classic Movies show the film at least once or twice a year as well as Independent Film Channel. The new restored DVD can be rented and if you haven't seen the other great fantasy film, "Orphee," what a double bill!
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 12:55 am
One of the most interesting things about
these "stories" , fairy tales, or whatever, is that
they have such a universality to them. A French
version - the beast is lion-like yet in the arab-like
countries, the beast is a an alligator
(maybe crocodile) and in yet another culture, the
beast is a white wolf. These stories have this universal
appeal supposedly because they touch a common
unconscious/subconscious place deep within