Dr. Phil and Match.com

hiker50

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 10:45 pm
Does it annoy anyone else that Dr. Phil thinks he's an expert on dating?
He doesn't have a clue on what goes on out there, and for that matter.....neither does Match.com!! I love the commercials where all the girls are 100lbs!! This isn't reality. I have found that the men my age want the 18 year old Barbie doll, and these men are not even great catches!! So.....good luck to all you guys, and Dr. Phil.......you're an idiot!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,519 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 03:38 am
Dr. Phil is an entertainer, and entertainers make endorsements of "products".

If his license to practice psychology is in force, IMO, it should be lifted. I think that what he is doing is extremely unprofessional.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 08:00 pm
Phoenix: I agree with that. He crosses over the line of good taste and makes other psychologists look like clowns (that he is). As a psychologist, his presence on the site makes him look like the huckster that he is. I've yet to read anything he offers for single's advice.

I'm a regular user of online dating sites including Match.com. I've successfully met and dated quite a few people over the years. In fact (using a competitor to Match.com in 1999), I met a fantastic woman and had a wonderful 5-yr relationship. We're still friends to this day, though not currently a couple. My niece used a dating site, she met someone and they've been married 2 years and have a newborn baby.

With online dating sites I've seen both sexes stretch the truth and seek out unrealistic matches. Not all men look for the perfect barbie-doll or a prefect partner. Some of us are quite realistic and are also great catches.
You just have to be patient with the process.
0 Replies

PJV

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 01:12 pm
Re: Dr. Phil and Match.com
hiker50 wrote:
He doesn't have a clue on what goes on out there, and for that matter.....neither does Match.com!! I love the commercials where all the girls are 100lbs!! This isn't reality. I have found that the men my age want the 18 year old Barbie doll, and these men are not even great catches!! So.....good luck to all you guys, and Dr. Phil.......you're an idiot!!!

What bothers me is that I think a good percentage of dating site activity is about married people looking for something on the side. I don't think it's really the kind of thing Dr. Phil should advocate. It seems like often times he has women on his show who met someone on a dating site and then lost a fortune......(oh wait, no that comes up on Judge Judy's show).
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 10:54 pm
PJV wrote:
hiker50 wrote:

What bothers me is that I think a good percentage of dating site activity is about married people looking for something on the side. I don't think it's really the kind of thing Dr. Phil should advocate. It seems like often times he has women on his show who met someone on a dating site and then lost a fortune......(oh wait, no that comes up on Judge Judy's show).

Actually, the majority of activity on that site is not that way. I have (and had) first-hand experience. I would say the majority of activity and membership is single people. Sensationalism from media brings the marital cheaters stories to the forefront and to the attention span of the public. Unfortunately, it's not a tiny minority, however, either.
0 Replies

PJV

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 06:47 am
[quote="Ragman]
Actually, the majority of activity on that site is not that way. I have (and had) first-hand experience. I would say the majority of activity and membership is single people. Sensationalism from media brings the marital cheaters stories to the forefront and to the attention span of the public. Unfortunately, it's not a tiny minority, however, either.[/quote]

I accept that you and many others are honest single people using the site for good purposes. I just happen to know of some married people who have used the site as a flirting fantasy or casual encounter source of action.

I might have just been jumping to assumptions based on things I've seen. However, it would be pretty hard to really know for sure who is who on those sites. Any way, every time I see the ads I think of the cheaters I know.
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 12:31 pm
ok obivously dr. phil is human and doesn't know everything and is NOT always right ... but what I do like about him is that he will straight up tell his guests what he thinks and is real with them and doesnt take theyir lying and bs and calls them on it .. yes he is not god but he is a decently smart man .. and some of his guests need a wake up call sometimes
0 Replies

PJV

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 05:24 pm
happytaffy wrote:
ok obivously dr. phil is human and doesn't know everything and is NOT always right ... but what I do like about him is that he will straight up tell his guests what he thinks and is real with them and doesnt take theyir lying and bs and calls them on it .. yes he is not god but he is a decently smart man .. and some of his guests need a wake up call sometimes

Yes, I agree and I like him on his own show. I think the point is that his approving of the dating website in that commerical is kind of strange. So often he gets women on his show who were taken advantage of by some guy who they met online.

Of course the website can be honest and attempt to do a good job but at the same time meeting people through online dating sites is still dangerous.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 05:36 pm
hiker50 wrote:

Am I the only one who's noticed that this was hiker's first and only submission on A2K? And the anger in her voice! And the hurt!

I think Dr. Phil dumped her. I think he banged her and then discarded her like yesterday's newspaper. He used that poor woman and then tossed her away.

She cried for a while and then, seeking to release some frustration, raced to her computer, did a quick search for a forum, saw this one, typed her words with such intensity that the keyboard rattled, then raced back across the room, threw herself on the bed, and there she remains, crying her eyes out.

Dr. Phil did this.

And I am going to make that bastard pay.
0 Replies

PJV

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 08:06 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
hiker50 wrote:

Am I the only one who's noticed that this was hiker's first and only submission on A2K? And the anger in her voice! And the hurt!

I didn't notice. Maybe her husband cheated on her by picking up women from dating sites. Sadly that's pretty common. The internet has made it a lot easier for the cheaters.

No doubt everyone who bothers to post something has a strong emotion, or else they wouldn't bother.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 01:11 pm
I checked out of Dr. Phil's "office" the first time he started letting his handlers
(producers and PR marketers) turn him into some kind of brand name.
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 02:37 pm
PJV wrote:
happytaffy wrote:

Yes, I agree and I like him on his own show. I think the point is that his approving of the dating website in that commerical is kind of strange. So often he gets women on his show who were taken advantage of by some guy who they met online.

Of course the website can be honest and attempt to do a good job but at the same time meeting people through online dating sites is still dangerous.

Yes but you also see women who were taken advantage of men in real life too!! I do recall a show about women who were taken advantage of men they met online but they were not through a dating site they were through e-mail scams
0 Replies

PJV

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 03:53 pm
happytaffy wrote:

Yes but you also see women who were taken advantage of men in real life too!! I do recall a show about women who were taken advantage of men they met online but they were not through a dating site they were through e-mail scams

Whether they meet through a dating website or an e-mail scam it still amounts to the same thing where by, too often people trust too quickly someone they don't really know.
0 Replies