Singing

girl93

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 02:53 pm
I am not very good at singing & I was wondering that if I took singing lessons if any way I could become a better singer though I have been told no. I know I'm not very good & I would do ANYTHING to become a better singer than I am now. It's always been my dream & I'm wondering if I can acomplish my dream by being able to sing better.
IS IT POSSIBLE THAT I COULD BECOME A BETTER SINGER?
IF SO HOW?

thank you for all that respond! It's going to help ALOT!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,277 • Replies: 19
No top replies

eoe

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 03:01 pm
Take lessons. A qualified instructor (not someone out to scam you) will be able to evaluate your voice and work with you. You may never be a great singer but you may become a good singer with skill and maybe a knowledge of your limitations and how to work with and around them.

I'm sure you're aware that many of your bigname voices are enhanced and "sweetened" in the studio today.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 03:11 pm
Agreeing with eoe. A good instructor can teach you proper breathing techniques that will help you both support and project your voice. This will improve your voice even if you never become a professional singer and will lead to confidence in other areas of your life.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 03:50 pm
I would also add to Eoe's and Tai's very good advice that you would do very well to find an instructor who teaches not just vocal technique but basic theory and/or ear-training. Theory is the bane of many musicians' lives--especially singers--but being a great singer rather than a merely good singer involves more than having a nice voice; it also involves recognizing when you're off-key and knowing how to fix it, and theory is invaluable for that sort of thing. It also involves being able to sight-sing; singers who stare helplessly when new music is put in front of them (i.e. on a piece of paper that they haven't heard before) have far fewer career opportunities than singers who don't.
0 Replies

girl93

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 03:17 pm
thanks to all of you for all your advise.
I'm very excited to go on the search for an instructor.

anymore tips?
SEND THEM ON IN! [I'M ALWAYS WILLING TO GET MORE INFO ON THIS TOPIC.]

thanks again!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 07:16 am
Well, it depends. Some people just can't and never will be able to sing.

A qualified instructor can make you better but not necessarily good. If we could all be great singers just with training, I'd be rich and living in Beverly Hills with a record contract and no worries for the future.

I have been singing for about 20 years. Have had formal and informal training. I've sang in mixed choirs, all female choirs, high school drama clubs, college choir and received a scholorship to a private college for singing. I'm not a bad singer by any means. Training definitely helped but there is some sort of natural tone that a good singer needs to have to sound good. Natural rhythm and an ear for the base melody is important. I am a good singer but I don't know that I have what it takes to be a professional.

However, if you love to sing, do it. Even if it's just in your home or shower or car. If we don't try for our dreams, what's the point of having them, right? Good luck.
0 Replies

girl93

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 01:59 pm
Thanks for the advice.
I am looking for an instructor but to tell you the truth i don't think I will become much better because I wasn't neccessairly born to sing. though its my dream I don't think I will be able to achieve it I will try to have an opposite attitude.

DOES EVERYONE AGREE?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 02:01 pm
Since no one has heard you sing, no one can make that statement true or false.

You may have a beautiful singing voice and just don't know it. You may not.

Failing really sucks but the worst you can do is to not try at all.
0 Replies

girl93

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 02:05 pm
I reread that & yes i noticed that wouldnt make sense becuase like you said no one has heard me sing! my mistake.
Bella are you a singer?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 02:06 pm
Yes, see my post.

I don't do it professionally but have been singing in group choirs for a long time.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 02:08 pm
Also remember that being a good singer doesn't always mean you have a perfect voice.

There are a number of qualities that make a singer a good one.
0 Replies

girl93

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 02:10 pm
yup! Very Happy mind if i ask some questions.
my cousin is a GREAT singer & she really got me thinking aobut it.
i won't be surprised if she becomes professional & makes it her career.
& you know when someone hits a high note & go ah-ah-ah-ah i asked her that question & forgot what she said it was called but can you build up that & make it stronger some how? or its just you either have it or you dont?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 02:24 pm
are you referring to vibrato?

If that's what you mean, yes you can but it always sounds bad when you force it.
0 Replies

girl93

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 02:26 pm
Yes! sorry I blanked out.
so you can't build that?
you just would have to force it? :/
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 02:36 pm
Some people have a very natural and very prominent vibrato. Others have none.

Usually, you can tell when someone is "doing it on purpose" and personally, I htink it sounds crappy.

If you want to be a singer, you need to focus in on your individual and unique characteristics.

That is one of the things that makes a great singer; individuality.

If you have vibrato, don't be afraid of it. If you don't, then don't force it. Especially on the high notes, which for most people are hard enough to hit and hold.

If you have trouble hitting a high note and are using vibrato to hide the slide you're using to get up to it, really focus in on the note you need to hit and just before belting it, take a split second pause. If you practice it this way, eventually you'll be able to sing it without the pause. Does that make sense?

That's how I do it and it works great for me.
0 Replies

girl93

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 02:41 pm
It kind of makes sense.
I don't have much of a vibrato but i have some thoguh not enough to be hitting a high note. for example im a American Idol fan & It seems to me that if you don't have a good vibrato if any at all people think your not that good of a singer. true false?

& would a Peforming arts school help if i went to one to get extra help there to?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 02:54 pm
American Idol is...well, crap. It's entertaining but not a way to learn music.

Laughing

It's based on a popularity contest. Sure, they can sing. Are there better people out there? Absolutely.

If you can get into one, by all means attend a Performing Arts school. It helps to be around people who are passionate about what you are passionate about. Be prepared to practice every day and not only in class but also in your spare time. When I was in the college choir, I had rehearsal every day and then spent 10-15 hours a week of my own time practicing in the practice rooms. And I wasn't even attending a performing arts school.

In all seriousness, go try out to be in a choir. Don't join a choir that anyone can join. While fun, they don't include the most serious singers and definitely don't include the best. And if you want to be a singer, you need to learn from and train with the best you can find. You need to challenge yourself every day. You can't go sing with mediocre singers and be the best there and think you'll make it. You have to sing with the best and measure yourself up. But don't forget.....vocal difference is a good thing. And just because someone has a better vibrato than you doesn't mean they are a better singer than you.

Also remember that we all sing certain ways best. Some people are killer at pop but suck at jazz. Or are great opera but can't make a standard swing. You have to find what fits your voice. Don't force your voice to fit something....find where your voice fits and go with it. You've heard them say it on American Idol...and they are right. If the song isn't right for you, the best voice in the world isn't going to make it sound great.

Experiment. Find who you are and what style best suites your voice and then find someone to help you fine tune your style and unique vocal talent.
0 Replies

girl93

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 02:59 pm
aah yay!
i love new information.
& of course always have another question to ask.
so even if im not a good singer i could still go to a peforming arts school?
i have a singing/voice instructor that lives across the street from me so im going to talk to her & see if she can help. but do you think i could still go into a preforming arts school & not sing that well at first? i mean i'm not sure what im capable of yet but soon to find out. do you thin kthat would be ok to still give it a try?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 03:04 pm
It can never hurt. The worst they can tell you is no, right?
Just think of how much you'd regret not trying and never even knowing?
0 Replies

girl93

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 05:29 pm
as you can tell im new to all of this.
but you have to try out to be in that school or just choir?
could i still be getting extra help even if im told no?
0 Replies