Buddhists...what have they ever done for us?

JLNobody

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 11:31 pm
"This is what the Enlightenment experience is; to lose the ego, awareness of time and space vanish into infinity ... a zero. Not even a one, for that infers a zero and two."
Asherman

Very eloquent. I like the qualification: It is very easy for us to seek refuge in the One, but as you note, Asherman, that is also a form of multiplicity. What we must realize is something like "not two".

I'm very hesitant to use the phrase "state of Enlightenment" in part because after more than forty years of meditation I have never attained it (others perhaps but not me). I do have something like a moving and effervescent perspective, one that anyone can have at any moment if they just look: no static bounded beings or things, no opposites, nothing to attain and no self to attain it, only an essentially ineffable on-going, boundless and ungraspable process.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 06:45 am
My comments are in the color red

Asherman wrote:
Rex,

No one doubts that you are sincere in your dedication to, and zeal for Christianity. Neither have I any doubt that you've found it personally fulfilling and an extremely satisfying foundation for your life. The Abrahamic religions have grown to encompass between them the largest number of people in the religious world. That success in attracting adherents demonstrates the power of the conception, but it is not a proof that the belief system is True. Christianity and Islam are especially noted for their intolerance of other religions, and their use of force to "induce" religious conversion. Still, the Abrahamic religions manage to satisfy the religious needs of millions of people.

The New testament tells Christians to wipe the dust off their feet and move on... Not force religion or spread it by the sword. Christianity teaches of us using the sword of truth not a sword of steel... So for you to look at how Christianity has been perverted in what people have done in the name of Christianity and attach that to a system that says the opposite is being ignorant of the actual words as the people who have tried to force Christianity against it's own dictates. With this type of approach it may not even help if the truth bit you on the nose... If you are not looking for it's OWN truth you will most certainly find something other than it's truth. To Judge words that have been twisted to form a Christian army of sword carriers rather than word carriers is simply not the same doctrine. So when you label Christianity you are seemingly as ignorant of the true system as those who have perverted it to force people into a submission not sanctified by the system itself. I might mention that the "new" testament is also not necessarily synonymous with the Abrahamic, or Mosaic tradition.

If you doubt that other religions are older than Judaism, all you have to do is read translations of Egyptian and Mesopotamian writings that date from 5,000 years ago. Even in your own Bible there is evidence that other religions predated Abraham. After all, Abraham grew up within a culture that had a polytheistic dominant religion. In the oldest parts of the Bible the text strongly suggests that originally, even what evolved into Judaism accepted the idea of multiple gods, of whom the most powerful was what became the God of Abraham. There is no evidence of written religious Jewish literature prior to the Captivity in 587 BCE, though an oral tradition and a set of cultural traditions may have existed going back to around 1300 BCE. Contrast that with Egyptian and Mesopotamian religious writing s that were already over a thousand years old when the Jews in Captivity began to write down their traditions.

The Bible talks of an antideluvian world long before the religion that has survived in Babylon which the Bible says predates the religion of Egypt. These religions crept out of Babylon and copied themselves in Egypt, China, India and Eastern Europe. This Babylon mystery religion has found it's way into the Polynesian Islands as far as Easter Island and also is in essence the religion of American Indians. This only proves the system came to America long before Columbus and Erikson arrived.

The Bible tells of the people who started Babylon... The son of Ham who was Cush who begot Nimrod. And even peoples prior to Babylon. As for Abraham coming from Ur. He gave tithes to Melchisidec who had retained the traditions of the bread and wine (flesh and blood) offering of Able and Adam and the promise of Noah to teach of the messiah without apostasy. So Babylon in all of her self made glory could not completely extinguish the stolen truth within. Melchisidec took it upon himself to teach of the TRUE Messiah's coming and warn of any imposers who set up a shingle claiming they were this messiah. So how could Melchisidec come out of Babylon as a priest knowing the truth of the Bible had the Bible not predated Babylonian apostasy? After this people stood in the place of the messiah claiming to be this messiah rather than admonishing this messiah by obedience and hopeful respect. Just as Jesus is rejected today for false heroes. The Bible clearly teaches of the system spreading to different languages as we can today see is exactly the case. The same exact system broken (as pieces of Nimrod's dead body) and planted in in the cities of countries of Egypt and the outer parts of the world. Without the Bible we would never know of a pre pagan world long before these great cities all worshiping the true God. A world with one pure language and one God. Noah had one God and Biblically only Noah and his family survived? So how could anything that predates the Bible know the truth it reveals? Well things could predate the Bible if you just simply do not believe the revelation given in the word of God. Because you have been taught to reject the Word of God does not on your behalf make the word any younger.

BTW, Buddhism isn't polytheistic nor pantheistic. Polytheistic means "many gods", and Buddhism has none. Pantheistic means to worship nature, and Buddhism doesn't do that either. Actually, Buddhism does have a well-earned reputation for peaceful toleration, but that does not mean that non-violence is absolutely fundamental to our religion. Buddhists have been involved as highly effective warriors in countless wars, though the number of our religious conflicts is almost nil. How can you make judgments about a religion of which you are totally ignorant? Before you go off making foolish statements, you should take the trouble to become fully informed.

Pantheistic (from my own perspective) means God is within creation rather than outside of creation, that does describe Buddhism. Not all pantheistic religions worship nature. And I call Buddhism polytheistic because they omit the true God which actually in essence if you steal the glory from God than there is obviously more than one God in the religious system. Maybe a dummy God set up just to distract people from the worship and admonition of the God of creation. Or, God by omission is still a God for the heart must admonish something to that degree and fill the place of such admiration with something.

I didn't say that your God sees only black and white. What I said was that you, Rex, see only black and white ... a zero/sum game, where everything is reduced to only two possibilities and that YOU are convinced that your religious notions about the nature of the universe are absolutely correct and all other points of view are absolutely wrong. "Either/Or" is the most elemental fallacy. I'm sure you do read the responses to your postings here, but your responses clearly indicate that you never, ever consider the possibility that anyone other than yourself has anything useful to say about religion. Your self righteousness and unwillingness to discuss religion with an open mind results in "turning off" your putative audience. If your purpose is to persuade, you have failed dismally. If you are only interested in "testifying" your belief, you would do better within a circle of people who hold the same beliefs you do. The only "religious" interest of many of the A2K crowd is to demean all religion, to insist that religion is the "opiate of the People", and that only idiots adhere to any religion. Your self-righteousness only strengthens that groups criticism of religion. Is that your intent?

Asheman, I have said I see black and white (sometimes red hehe) because I see something different. You are just rehashing what you along with others have been taught. Well I was taught the same thing as you in my younger years. Don't you think that before I was exposed to the truth of the Bible that I also entertained the idea of Buddhism? Yet I on the other hand know something you have NOT been taught. You have not had years to mull it over and it contradicts what you know. So you can continue to steam roll over everything I say or you can lend an ear and learn something you don't obviously know yet. I say this in all due respect because I do admire you and I believe other than the knowledge I do have about the truth you are far more studied that I am. I will not be agreeing soon that select stories of the Bible don't predate paganism. The flood story of Noah was stolen (By Noah's sons, a clever decoy) from the true sagas and melded into a story to promote paganism. (this is the significance of the animals in the Noah story), the worship of animals and the elements flooded the earth. Just notice the same flood stories (which the world say did not happen) one ends in paganism and one ends in the promise to a true God to believe upon the coming Messiah in the light of truth and meekness.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 07:22 am
Have you heard of the Zen master who ordered a hotdog? He said, "I'll have one with everything..." Smile
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 09:05 am
I'm sorry Rex, bit it is pointless for me to try discussing religion with you.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 09:11 am
how does not worshipping one god mean having multiple ones?

sorry rex i dont see how your correct.. feel free to elaborate though.

*edit nevermind,don't elaborate. i see that you know your correct and you dont ever really give any facts, just opinions.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 10:15 am
Asherman, I don't know why Rex's hotdog joke disappointed you. I find it encouraging. It's the closest he has come TOWARD (cf. my signature line re Wm. James) an inellectual picture of Buddhism. Probably the closet he will come; let's hope not. :wink:
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 10:18 am
Rex, the old joke goes: "MAKE me one with everything."
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 10:25 am
JLNobody wrote:
Rex, the old joke goes: "MAKE me one with everything."

Ahhh, now I get it. That makes more sense. Hahaha, much better Smile
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 10:47 am
JL,

I don't see any progress in Rex. He isn't ready yet. You can't get ripe fruit from a sapling, but in "time". When Rex gets to the point where he will listen, and respond with something beyond knee-jerk dogma, it will be "time" to have a meaningful discussion with him. In the meantime, there are a lot of other opportunities that are more promising for everyone. I'm not in the business of converting folks, and certainly have no desire to be preached at.

The world is filled with suffering, and when those who suffer sincerely want to know more about Buddhism it is our duty to help them towards understanding the Buddha's Teachings. Rex doesn't care to even exchange views with an open mind, and I've a field closer to home that's filling up with weeds faster than I can pluck them out. Hmmnn, both literaly and metaphorically. My excuse is that I suffer from hayfever and the grounds at Corazon are far too large for a lazy old man to deal with. Excuses, excuses. Hopefully, I'm doing better in my religious practices. Even there, I'm afraid that I tend to be a sluggard. Oh well ... we have infinity to get it "right" Laughing
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 03:11 pm
Gassho.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 05:54 am
Quote:
For those caught unprepared for the experience, loss of the self and the dissolution of the material world with all its dimensions can be very startling. The loss of everything you thought you knew, of your very being, is terrifying if fought against.

This happened to my girlfriend once when we tried eating some magic mushrooms. She started laughing and crying uncontrollably, all at the same time. She remembers it as a very scary experience, and says she thinks she was psychotic while it lasted. That may be, but I'm still a little envious. I think that maybe the same experience would have been great for me...
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 10:11 am
It'd be interesting to know more about the effects of psychedelic drugs, I was talking to someone recently about a drug called Dimethyltryptamine or DMT, which itself is actually produced in the brain so I've been told, just in considerably smaller doses. Apparently some believe it plays a role in dreaming and other mystical states, the idea of drugs disabling filters on the brain to access different states of mind and experience is fascinating. Heard of Machine Elves before? Weird to say the least!

I appreciate the difficulty or impossibility of expressing such "enlightenment states" though, the changes to the brain in comparison to certain drug use makes you wonder. I think maybe Buddhism does offer some words of warning regards to drug use but I always think if someone wants to take drugs, long term and from a very impersonal point of view I'd always like to just say, "go ahead" with some words of advice thrown in too, best you live and learn than close yourself off in bubble wrap etc. It's that mix between compelling someone to a way of thinking like you would with a child, for their own good and ideally, liking them to realise a point themselves.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 02:54 pm
I don't know what to call drug-induced alternate states of mind, but I would not call them zen perspectives.
Aldous Huxley was open to the possibility of a constructive shaking up of conventional perspectives by the careful use of psychedelic drugs, but he was very dissappointed to see how his book, The Doors of Perception, launched the youth of the sixties onto a path of destructive pseudo-mysticism.
The mystical shift known as the zen enlightenment/perspective is more akin to a deeply internalized philosophical perspective, more of an internalization of aspects of Nietzsche and Wittgenstein's thought than of the chemically based hallucinations of a psychotic episode.
Nor is that mystical shift a set of IDEAS; it's much more of a whole-mind (conscious and unconscious) experience that that of a set of purely conscious philosophical ideas.
Thus Rex's comment that
"You [Asherman, Fresco, and Nobody, I presume] are just rehashing what you along with others have been taught. Well I was taught the same thing as you in my younger years. Don't you think that before I was exposed to the truth of the Bible that I also entertained the idea of Buddhism?"
It is completely off the mark to think of the core of Buddhism, i.e., the zen perspectives, in terms of "ideas" that one is taught. Your comment reveals your total--and understandable--lack of understanding what Asherman has been trying to share with you.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 04:50 pm
Yes definitely, "a constructive shaking up of conventional perspectives", I like it. From a scientific point of view though, I'm sure they have done work on those in meditation, talk of health benefits etc, I wonder what parts of the brain light up? Some see the scientific pinpointing of experience or emotion as cheapening the experience, not me. I can choose to discover but as far as I can tell, it's difficult to choose to accept/reject the grandeur of life.

I'd imagine drug induced states would lead to substitution more than anything, substituting one perspective for another, hopefully one with a greater field of view and empathy. The zen perspective is a non perspective really isn't it, the end of perspectives in some sense? Like has been said with the dissolution of ideas that are teachable and selves that take in knowledge. To me the greater danger with something like pseudo-mysticism is not that a person doesn't grasp or realise the true extent of something or that they grasp only a half truth at best, but that they believe they're grasping a whole "truth" and that they stop the flow of good intention and start preaching. The idea of truth itself is obviously the troublesome part. People only preach when they think they possess the key to objectivity and truth.

It makes you wonder about what authors are doing when they write books on Mysticism or when someone discusses Zen (all in a non preachy attitude), all with the hope of transferring an appreciation. If it's all beyond a set of ideas or a crystalisation of knowledge, what can be done to share? What is the intention of an author who writes about such a topic, to spark an interest so the reader will go off an actually experience something more subtle? Likewise here, what can be shared with words and what is required from the different listeners and speakers involved to communicate? It just seems like an ineffable acknowledgement sometimes, like when you look someone in the eyes and there's a wordless appreciation of the situation, being somewhat outside the normal bounds of language, something too subtle to be an obvious example of communication, but it's there. Well, who knows.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 05:33 pm
Yes,
Rex obviously thinks moments of "epiphany" can only be ascribed to the "embrace of a loving deity", in which the "self" is surrendered to "God". But it is dissipation of self through holistic merger not surrender in which Buddhist transcendental thinking differs. The attachment to "self" is the issue which Rex doesn't comprehend, and now cannot comprehend because his "objective deity" and "persistent self" form a mutually resistant unified aspect of his rationality.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 09:07 pm
Fresco, I have the impression that Rex (well not just Rex--most people) suffers from an attachment to 'self' that entails (the corrolary of) an objective world (including his diety) from which he is necessarily alienated: the inevitable product of Dualism. I suspect that this Dualism is as much psychological as it is philosophical in nature.

Ashers, your comments are piercing and beneficial. I know I must keep on guard against what you describe as a preachy attitude. I know I cannot "share" my subjective orientation precisely because of its character of "deep subjectivity." Words can point one in a better--if not totally adequate--direction. I try to communicate as directly as possible my perspective, for better or for worse, and I appreciate Asherman's and Fresco's intellectual/verbal abilities to come as close as they do to "competence" in this regard.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 05:05 pm
Quote:
a path of destructive pseudo-mysticism.

Hmmm... I like that phrase. :wink:

Some people set about finding happiness by fortifying the self. Others by destroying it. Judging by the world we live in, where growing kids see the result of fortifying the self, as is the day to day consumerism approach, I'd say that their response of seemingly mindless destructive impulse is a sign of health and intelligence. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 05:32 pm
Cryacuz, can we destroy our fundamentally nonexistent ego? Isn't just seeing it for what it is enough? I recall my early efforts to destroy (or dominate) my ego as very ego-enhancing.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 05:02 am
I agree with that, JL. But our western way of life has a lot to do with affirming the ego through the use of external accomodatons towards it. A youth who is ruining things for himself may be self destructive, but it is a rebellion against what he sees and does not embrace, not a desire to destroy his own ego. My only point being that a "path of destructive pseudo-mysticism" is not all bad.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 03:20 pm
yes, not ALL bad. I do suspect that our generalized malaise (what Buddhism calls dukkha) or disattisfaction with an alienated ego-centered life is the cause of much self-destruction, but that SELF-destruction is an expression of dislike for one's identity. One wants a better identity, not a rejection of the illusion of ego.
0 Replies