FABRIC???!!!

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 12:49 pm
This is a question that doesn't fit anywhere . . . perhaps because there isn't a hobbies forum . . . or perhaps because women are no longer sewing.

I need some cotton lawn. 100% cotton lawn to line a dress . . . soon!!!

Any ideas?

For those searching for dress, not quilting, fabric in New England,try Sawyer Brook Fabrics in Clinton, MA, a mail order firm.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,189 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Rae

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 05:50 pm
Tried a Google search, plainoldme, with bad results. Have you tried calling your local fabric/hobby stores?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 08:20 pm
Sure hope you need a lot of it.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 11:48 am
Rae,
The problem is all the local fabric stores are quilting stores: dress making material has vanished.

I did call Sawyer Brook back to inquire about lawn (since they only had polyester lining on display) and they have it!

Here in New England, there is almost no dress fabric in MA other than Sawyer Brook, although I have heard rumors of a mysterious shop in Greenfield, MA, 100 miles to the west. There is a place in NH that has been run by the same family since 1934: The Keene Mill End Store. I have heard rumors of one in Maine.

Like the kitty in your avatar: is it your's?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 11:53 am
Did you try NYCIty? How about the Fashion Insitute of Technology?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 12:01 pm
I don't know the Fashion Institute of Technology, which sounds like a school. Would they have fabric? I did find lawn through Sawyer Brook and am now waiting for money. Sigh! A recurring theme!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 12:09 pm
plainoldme ~ glad you found it.

The kitty is Miss Lacey, and yes, I am proud to be her human. :wink:
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 12:38 pm
We have three kitties: my son's orange cats, a brother named Dmitri and a sister named Sophia as well Abby who was my daughter's but who stayed with me when my daughter went to France as an au pair and then on to college and became my cat. Dmitri is huge, at least 20 pounds and is an excellent mouser. Last night, he killed a mouse and a cicada. I think the cicado was probably bigger than the mouse.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 12:40 pm
Ewwwwwwwww!!!!! (good kitty, good kitty)
0 Replies