Gran Torino

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 04:33 pm
My father wants to get me a 74 or 76(he's not sure what year it is because they both look the same) Gran Torino. It has no engine and I was going to get a Ford 460 that I found off of a site [Link] I was just wondering if it is better to keep it as automatic or change it to manual, and if you have any good sites that I can look at for parts for my torino or street preformance parts, please tell me. thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,243 • Replies: 4
No top replies

southerngentleman

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 10:17 am
Wow, thats way over my head in knowledge of cars. This could be a dumb asnswer but wouldn't be less work if you car is set up for an automatic to keep it that way? With gas going up it would probably save you money over a manual too.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 11:40 pm
I've converted a few to manual, but its not typically something that is cheap, nor will it pay off in resale. If that's not a concern for you, then go for it and open up the wallet. It will require some cut and paste and other fabricating skills. Those cars never came with manuals so there is a good chance there aren't provisions that let it bolt in. For instance, if you had a Mustang with an automatic, chances are the holes, mounting points, and other things are already present since they were offered with manuals, but cars that didn't get them usually don't have those provisions. Getting it to bolt up to the engine is easy; swap out your flexplate for a flywheel, buy a clutch, and bolt a compatible tranny to it. The rest will be things like having a driveshaft made. Many of the 60s and 70s 4-speeds should be an easy swap, but avoid truck trannys. Trannys like top loaders from trucks are geared for trucks; really low granny first gears and broad ratio changes.

That still leaves you with designing a clutch. The best way to do that is to use a later tranny that came with a hydraulic clutch. It works the same as a brake system; there is a master cylinder on the clutch pedal, a slave cylinder on the tranny, and a high pressure hose between them. Very customizable.

You'll also have to design or modify the tranny crossmember

Look to the T5 or T56. The T5 was the commonly used 5-speed in the 80s in Camaros, Rangers, Mustangs, S10s, light duty full size chevy pickups, etc. Good ratios, but it won't like the big block's torque. It'll go boom. The T56 is the popular 6-speed from the 90s to today found in Camaros, Mustangs, and Vipers. It'll handle about 450 lb-ft of torque without too much complaining. Whatever you get, make sure it came from a Ford originally. Although all T56s share the same center case, the front adapter plate and tailhousing as well as the associated input and output shafts are specific to each brand. You could adapt, but why spend the extra dough?

Can it be done? yes. Will it be expenive? yes. The cheapest swap I did was $3000 with all the parts and it took a weekend with 6 guys who had all done the swap before. Cutting, welding, fabricating, and lots of experience are a must.

That's the long answer. The short answer is: keep it an auto.
0 Replies

0n1yhuman

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 11:45 pm
your knowlage of this is astounding, and thank you for the information.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 11:48 pm
Thanks. The only thing I do more than drink beer is play with cars. Its an addiction Smile
0 Replies