Passenger found dead in jet bathroom – wife suing

Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 10:07 am
I can understand this woman being upset, but is this negligence?

An airline passenger died in the restroom during a flight and wasn't found until the cleaning crew boarded the plane after it landed, a federal lawsuit contends. The passenger had a heart attack on a flight from Tokyo to Chicago during the first leg of a trip home to Indianapolis.

The lawsuit accuses the airline of negligence and seeks damages of about $150,000. After the plane landed at Chicago, passengers and flight crew disembarked and the jet was taken to another gate for cleaning. Workers then discovered the bathroom was locked from the inside and found Matsuo's body -- about two hours after the jet landed.

"How could you lose a passenger?" claimed his wife. "If I was somewhere on that plane, I would hope someone would notice."

It is a horrible thing to happen, however, is this really negligence? Is the airline responsible for noticing and keeping track of all passengers?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,071 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 10:15 am
Quote:
It is a horrible thing to happen, however, is this really negligence? Is the airline responsible for noticing and keeping track of all passengers?

Airlines check passengers upon boarding, not disembarking. There would be no reason for them to do so. This was an unfortunate happening, which, IMO, the airline has no culpability.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 10:15 am
odd.
very odd.

how exactly does one disembark without one's spouse?

i mean, she should've noticed that he hadn't returned to his seat after a while, right?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 10:16 am
Region- He may not have been with his spouse on the trip.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 10:26 am
Region Philbis wrote:
odd.
very odd.

how exactly does one disembark without one's spouse?

i mean, she should've noticed that he hadn't returned to his seat after a while, right?

He was traveling by himself.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 10:27 am
Phoenix,

thanx for setting me straight -- the thought obviously didn't occur to me...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 11:43 am
I suspect we've got a grieving widow and an ambulance chasing lawyer. I'm guessing the airline will settle for a few thousand dollars to keep the bad publicity to a minimum.

How observant are stewardesses expected to be? Should the cabin attendant have noticed that one of her passengers was missing? Did she register that he was a senior citizen? Did the passenger look particularly unhealthy?

Were people queuing up for the bathrooms? Was it obvious that a bathroom was tied up for a long time?

Was every seat in the flight booked or were there empty chairs? How big was the plane?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 11:49 am
These are all important questions, but like Elvis and countless others> heart attacks occur at a high incidence while someone is on the can.
Medical SCience needs to work on this
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 11:52 am
farmerman wrote:
These are all important questions, but like Elvis and countless others> heart attacks occur at a high incidence while someone is on the can.

Do you have any insight to why? Just curious
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 11:52 am
farmerman wrote:

That's it then. No more crapping on toilets for me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 11:55 am
More fiber, or maybe less fiber...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 11:57 am
you dont want to induce fiberllations
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 11:59 am
Jeez. Can you imagine constipation on a flight from Tokyo? Rolling Eyes

I don't think the airline is guilty and it would be a shame if they paid this woman anything other than deep condolences and perhaps flying free for a few years, just as a courtesy.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 12:03 pm
eoe wrote:
Jeez. Can you imagine constipation on a flight from Tokyo? Rolling Eyes

I don't think the airline is guilty and it would be a shame if they paid this woman anything other than deep condolences and perhaps flying free for a few years, just as a courtesy.

I wouldn't even give her the free flying. It isn't the airlines fault.
People, they sue for anything now a days. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 12:42 pm
It wouldn't have made a difference relative to the deceased, but I thought flight attendants checked all lavatories prior to landing as a safety measure to insure that no one was there.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 12:57 pm
hmmm.... Surprised
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 01:41 pm
If people can stay on a plane by hiding in the lavatory, how good is airline security, really?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 02:17 pm
I don't understand. Is she suing because she didn't want him found?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 02:20 pm
You should never remain seated on the can when you flush , in a plane. The suction of the toilet will pull your nuts off.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 09:39 pm
farmerman wrote:
You should never remain seated on the can when you flush , in a plane. The suction of the toilet will pull your nuts off.

and you would know this why? Are you missing something.
0 Replies