The NFL Flexes its Muscles

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 10:17 am
Pacman Jones Suspended for Season
NFL rules on Titans CB; Bengals' Henry gets 8 games

NEW YORK (AP) -- The punishment was aimed squarely at Adam "Pacman" Jones and Chris Henry. The message went far beyond them, to all NFL players.

In suspending Jones for the 2007 season and Henry for eight games, Commissioner Roger Goodell not only cracked down on two of the league's most troublesome players on Tuesday, he also sent a warning to everyone:

Mess with the law and your job's on the line.

"I must emphasize to you that this is your last opportunity to salvage your NFL career," Goodell wrote the two players, emphasizing they must end their wayward behavior to have a chance to play in the league again.

He also hit them where it hurts -- their wallets. Jones, who plays for Tennessee, will forfeit his $1,292,500 salary; Henry, who plays for Cincinnati, will lose $217,500.
(complete article)

upon hearing this news yesterday, my initial reaction was that the penalties are too severe, because neither player has been convicted of a crime.

the league's message seems to be: we are now watching your off-field activities, and will judge you accordingly... and we will not pay you if we do not approve of what you do on your own time.

what do you think?

Ragman

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 10:24 am
My thoughts are that it's about time. That's one BAD dude. in his case, there are 2 pending charges (in Las Vegas and Georgia) and 10 or more times he's been called into the police stations. The NFL teams are a private business and long have had a clause in the contracts that covers this poor image and morality clause. They're now enforcing this clause and in fact have changed their policy and strengthened it because people like this are so far over the line it's absurd.

Finally NFL authorities are cracking down on the REAL criminal element. Also what's equally important is that they're pushing back on the teams making them accountable and punishing them for not supplying appropriate support (counseling, education) to rookies, instructing them when they start on the team as to what is expected and demanded of them in order to play in the NFL.

I just heard that it's possible that 'Pacman' Jones may not play again EVEN AFTER the ban is lifted.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 01:59 pm
i imagine he'll latch on to another pro league...
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 02:50 pm
Re: The NFL Flexes its Muscles
Region Philbis wrote:
upon hearing this news yesterday, my initial reaction was that the penalties are too severe, because neither player has been convicted of a crime.

the league's message seems to be: we are now watching your off-field activities, and will judge you accordingly... and we will not pay you if we do not approve of what you do on your own time.

what do you think?

Jones has been convicted at least once since he turned 18 ( he had a lengthy rap sheet as a minor as well) and is in the middle of serving a 6 month probationary period on another charge which, if he completes satisfactorly, the state of TN will drop the charges. He has charges pending in at least 2 other cases as well.

The league has has conduct clauses in the player contracts for decades. My understanding is that these sorts of things have been in contracts for "performers" since the 1920s at least. And that is what these guys are - pro sports moved form a strictly atheletic compeitition long ago. Now it is part athletics and part theatrics.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for someone who can't stay out of trouble long enough to cash their multi-million dollar paychecks.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 03:37 pm
The only thing new is the enforcement. As a proud owner of the Green Bay Packers; I can be stripped of my stock or fined for any behavior deemed detrimental to the NFL's image by the NFL. Good move if you ask me.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 03:59 pm
fishin wrote:
Jones has been convicted at least once since he turned 18 ( he had a lengthy rap sheet as a minor as well) and is in the middle of serving a 6 month probationary period on another charge which, if he completes satisfactorly, the state of TN will drop the charges. He has charges pending in at least 2 other cases as well.

thanx for the info.
that does changes things somewhat.
i'm still thinking the penalties are double what they should be...

OCCOM BILL wrote:
As a proud owner of the Green Bay Packers; I can be stripped of my stock or fined for any behavior deemed detrimental to the NFL's image by the NFL

so how often do you have to check in with the commish?
it must suck having a curfew...
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 04:02 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
As a proud owner of the Green Bay Packers; I can be stripped of my stock or fined for any behavior deemed detrimental to the NFL's image by the NFL

so how often do you have to check in with the commish?
it must suck having a curfew...
They're pretty lenient. For instance: They didn't say boo when I was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct for stepping on Lambeau Field after a game. Cool
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 11:35 am
michael vick might've thrown his last pass for a while...

Shocking charges
Indictment against Vick describes unfathomable acts

By George Dohrmann, SI.com

The indictment handed down Tuesday against Falcons quarterback Michael Vick and three others describes in detail how they procured a property in Virginia for the purpose of staging dogfights, bought dogs and then fought them there, and in several other states, over a 6-year period. With at least three cooperating witnesses providing the details, federal authorities compiled a detailed case that traces the birth and rise of Bad Newz Kennels.

But not a single line in the 18-page indictment will generate more rage toward Vick and the others charged -- Purnell A. Peace, Quanis L. Phillips and Tony Taylor -- than a sentence near the end. It reads: "In or about April of 2007, Peace, Phillips and Vick executed approximately eight dogs that did not perform well in 'testing' sessions at 1915 Moonlight Road by various methods, including hanging, drowning and slamming at least one dog's body to the ground."
(source)

judging by the suspensions handed out to jones & henry, vick will have plenty of down time... and possibly jail time.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 05:21 pm
What a total A-Hole. I hope they whale on him.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 05:35 pm
When you read details on how allegedly Vick was directly involved with killing of dogs that failed to win the battles and with the manner they were executed, it will turn your stomach. It's so shocking. If true, this is VERY bad..and you don't have to be an animal lover to be revulsed by it. If proven in a court of law, I truly hope he serves prison time...soon!
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 07:38 am
Ragman wrote:
When you read details on how allegedly Vick was directly involved with killing of dogs that failed to win the battles and with the manner they were executed, it will turn your stomach. It's so shocking. If true, this is VERY bad..and you don't have to be an animal lover to be revulsed by it. If proven in a court of law, I truly hope he serves prison time...soon!

Yeah, but what about my Fantasy Football team?

j/k....I have 2 dogs and this type of thing disgusts me.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 07:43 am
It really messed up my fantasy dog fighting team...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 10:10 am
its mind-boggling that Vick's agent and/or lawyer didn't try to put a stop to it...
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 03:52 pm
could it be they were investing in it, too? Or, perhaps, he didn't divulge to them...Things that make you say "hmmmmm"
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 03:59 pm
Last year the NFL suspended Tank Johnson of the Bears because he got in trouble with the law over some retarded Illinois gun restriction. All you heard was how he had an "arsenal of unlicensed guns" and "over 500 rounds of ammunition".

****, here in Michigan, long guns aren't licensed at all. And I shoot more than 500 rounds on an average weekend at my hunting cabin.

Yet Al Michaels and the NFL basically ostracized this guy for exercising his 2A rights. F--k them. F--k Illinois. Retarded.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 10:22 am
cjhsa wrote:
Yet Al Michaels and the NFL basically ostracized this guy for exercising his 2A rights. F--k them. F--k Illinois. Retarded.

uh, no, he did a little more than exercise:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank_Johnson
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 11:28 am
Region Philbis wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

uh, no, he did a little more than exercise:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank_Johnson

I read that and I don't see where I was wrong. No such thing as an assault rifle, and no such thing as an "unlicensed" long gun where I come from. Illinois is a nazi state when it comes to guns. Nowhere in that does it state the pistol in the SUV was being carried improperly. Even if he had no CCW, it apparently wasn't even loaded. Carried in a case, there is no justifiable reason for them to even attempt to prosecute.

People who think like you, that we should all be disarmed subjects of the state, make me sick.

Tank Johnson got screwed.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 11:47 am
NFL to Vick: Stay out of camp
League will review dogfighting charges against QB

NEW YORK (AP) -- Michael Vick was ordered by commissioner Roger Goodell on Monday to stay away from the Atlanta Falcons' training camp until the league reviews the dogfighting charges against him.

"While it is for the criminal justice system to determine your guilt or innocence, it is my responsibility as commissioner of the National Football League to determine whether your conduct, even if not criminal, nonetheless violated league policies, including the Personal Conduct Policy," Goodell said in a letter to the quarterback.
(article)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 11:50 am
Goodell seeks crackdown on spying
Quote:
NFL memo includes harsher penalties, less tolerance[/b]

NEW YORK (AP) -- In the aftermath of the discipline levied against the New England Patriots for taping opponents defensive signals, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is seeking a sweeping crackdown on spying for next season.

It would include harsher penalties on teams and employees caught spying; unannounced inspections of locker rooms and coaches' areas in press boxes; and a lower threshold for imposing discipline on those who violate the rule.
(from si.com)

harsher penalties... harsher than a $750,000 fine and a 1st round draft pick?
man, that's harsh...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 05:22 am
nice to see they let pacman back in the league after he cleaned up his act...