seventh day adventists vs mormons

Eva

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 10:56 pm
@vikorr,
If you want to believe that, go right ahead.

I don't enjoy arguing with other Christians over religious matters. It's too easy for both sides of every issue to find biblical references to support their positions. It proves absolutely nothing, it's divisive, and it makes us look contentious.

So, believe what you want. And I'll do the same.

Goodnight.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 11:13 pm
@Eva,
That's the correct attitude about belief; we all have our own quirks on what we believe and don't believe. I have argued with my siblings about religion and politics often, and we can never resolve our differences, but that never gets in the way of our love for each other.

We humans are a strange lot; even with similar backgrounds, we come out different as night and day.

On the same token, I have friends all around the planet - and they are of different cultures, religions, and many things we call "social." It's just a matter of being able to accept our differences, and try not to intrude into their private lives too much. Friendship doesn't mean we have to believe everything in the same way.
Eva

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 07:16 am
@cicerone imposter,
Absolutely! We agree!!

Cool
0 Replies

Crelo

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 04:11 pm
@acthc,
Just some quick reference points on coffee, since that's the only thing people seem to want to talk about about Mormons... Laughing :

The Wikipedia has a decent article on The Word of Wisdom.
Here is the full text from lds.org
Mormons aren't prevented from drinking caffeine, but again coffee, tea, and alcohol. And of course no drugs or smoking.
This does not include herbal tea, which most Mormons drink.
Some don't drink caffeinated sodas, but that's in the minority.
Oh, and the last thing which should be first, the majority of the Word of Wisdom contains positive prescriptions, not prohibitions. It's all about health, and talks about eating fruit as much as it talks about abstaining from bongs.

Second, in answer to your first question, some observations on doctrinal differences:

SDAs are pretty mainline protestants; they just believe that the Sabbath was never officially changed to Sunday. Most Christians believe that one of the fulfillments of Mosaic law at the death of Christ was the change of the day of worship.
This shows SDAs' Biblical literalism, their sola scriptura paradigm, who can't find the change of day literally stated in the New Testament, so won't bank on it. Mormons are fundamentally, at their core, not sola scriptura. They believe in revelation, in modern prophets (equal in gravitas therefore to Moses or Peter), and consequently that all canon is open; that God can give us more scripture and at times the earth has had scripture which we do not now have. That's the whole Book of Mormon thing--that while the Bible is a record of God's dealings with a small group of people in Israel, he would therefore logically have other records of other dealings with other people--it's just a matter of finding those records. That's a huge difference.
Sola scriptura also presupposes that God wants his church reverse engineered from reading the Bible. The problem is the New Testament was a post facto collection of church letters and was never written to even be a book let alone a church-building manual; so various religions choose to call its 1500 years later publication in its present 66-book form divine foresight. The LDS on the other hand say that man's role is to live righteously and to pray for direct revelation as to God's will, which is again, a huge huge difference. For Mormons, it's always about the internal journey.
For the same literalism, SDAs don't believe in ignoring the Old Testament like frankly most Christian religions do. Most Christian religions believe that all the requirements in the Old Testament were "fulfilled" (no longer necessary) after Christ--thus The New Testament (read: the new covenant.) Again, since what was no longer necessary and what was still necessary isn't overt, SDAs error on the side of safety and keep all the commandments. That means they believe the Ten Commandments are still the governing code of the universe. (Everyone else believes they're a neat ethics metaphor at this point.)
Size-wise, there are about an equal number of members of the Seventh Day Adventist Church as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but the SDA have splinter groups, so those 15ish million aren't all the same branch. That's why most charts have Mormons as the 3rd or 4th largest religion in the US, because everyone you would think would be higher is non-coagulated...
SDAs are Trinitarian, meaning they believe God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost are one person with no physical form. Mormons believe they are 3 separate and tangible beings.
Like Jehovah's Witnesses, SDAs believe that only the righteous are resurrected spiritually, that spirits die unless resurrected. Mormons believe that spirits don't die and that everyone is physically resurrected--that everyone gets their body reunited with their spirit after death.

I'll stop now 'cause I've gotta' get to work, but really the bottom line is that Mormons and SDAs are no more connected than any other two Christian religions. Perhaps more academically similar are Seventh Day Adventists and Jehovah's Witnesses, since they're both sprung from biblical literalism

Here is a bit of knowledge for Adventist it was a Mormon who was set to the writings of Ellen White. Although this will create problems with most churches the empowerment of the Priesthood is essential to the Church and makes Joseph a real reformist since in front of witness's there was a manifestation of several from Heaven handing the keys of the Aronic and Melchizadeck Priesthood to Joseph and his followers
vikorr

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 01:18 am
@Eva,
Quote:
If you want to believe that, go right ahead.

I don't enjoy arguing with other Christians over religious matters. It's too easy for both sides of every issue to find biblical references to support their positions. It proves absolutely nothing, it's divisive, and it makes us look contentious.

So, believe what you want. And I'll do the same.

Goodnight.
I must have booked out of this discussion.

What I wrote didn't have a belief behind it - I was simply making observations.

Nor am I christian. I was.
0 Replies

dwcoxxx

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 10:36 pm
@DD208,
Well...as sometimes happens, there is a miscommunication on the doctorine of babtism for those who have passed on. We (LDS) don't judge who will be saved and who won't, but for those who never had an opportunity in this life to hear the gospel, a proxy for the ordinance of baptism is done to insure that if they do accept it, that ordinance is accomplished for them should they desire to choose the gospel in the spirit world before they are resurrected. This is concerning the ongoing process of the first resurrection of whom the Savior was the first and also the doorway for all of us, eventually. The reason the Bishop said you could not be babtized for Hitler is because it has already been done. Does this mean we thing what Hitler did was not incredibly evil? Of course it was evil beyond all measure! In circa 1938, one of Hitler's nephews came to a small college in Binghampton, New York to warn Americans that his Uncle, like his father, suffered from mental instabilities and would have a terrible impact on the world if they did not do something to stop his rise to power. Of course, for Americans it was 20/20 hindsight. And yet, we still cannot judge, as that is the jurisdiction of God. I admire most of SDA doctrine as it applies to mortality. However, on the resurrection we are worlds apart. I cannot imagine a God destroying resurrected beings at some arbitrary cut off point of good and evil. We all know life is not that simple. We will be rewarded according to our works in this life and assigned a just and merciful degree of glory as Paul states in one of his letters to the Corinthian saints and as John states in Revelations.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 10:44 pm
@Chai,
Chai wrote:

Not even herbal teas?

I wonder why if it's a tea with no stimulant in it?

Many herbal teas actually promote good health.

interesting.

I don't know how I missed this, lo these many years, but we have a local plant called Mormon Tea. It is a dandy source of ephedra which can be quite stimulating.
0 Replies

dwcoxxx

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 10:55 pm
@DD208,
Well...that is a lazy response. I might suggest you do the same by reading 2Corinthians. The Book of Mormon mentions nothing of the 3 degrees of glory, that would be a vision received and recorded in the Doctrine & Covenants. As per the Free Masons and Masons...Joseph Smith only indicated to them that some of their ancient signs were accurately ascended from the past, and that was about the extent of his short involvement with them. Modern Masons were an organization focused on social contribution and had little to do with religion. The LDS church expounds on volumes of spiritual concerns and is a religious pursuit. They have nothing to do with each other.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 01:58 am
@Crelo,
Thank you for clarifying the differences between the SDAs zand Mormons. A good summary; all my siblings belong to the SDA church while I'm an atheist married to a Buddhist.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 04:05 am
Batman vs Superman would be a better film. Just sayin'.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 02:03 pm
@FBM,
Fiction is very entertaining. 2 Cents Mr. Green
0 Replies

dwcoxxx

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 01:30 am
@acthc,
They are different denominations with different roots, though both are technically defined as protestant, depending on who is asked. They are similar in terms of outward performance, such a health codes and political issues of morality. Adventists consider Saturday the day to worship, while Mormons use Sundays. One primary doctrine of difference is Adventists believe all the wicked will be obliterated after the resurrection of the just and the unjust. Mormons believe most all people will be assigned to some degree of glory after the resurrection and judgment, accept a few called the "sons of perdition" (those who deny Christ after receiving a testimony). Adventist believe in the trinity doctrine, while Mormons believe the Godhead is three separate beings, though one in purpose. These are some of the basic differences.
0 Replies

dwcoxxx

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 01:31 am
@NickFun,
Boy...talk about spreading false doctrine.
0 Replies

dwcoxxx

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 01:35 am
@hamburger,
Herbal teas and sodas are okay with Mormons. Coffee and Alcoholic drinks are not.
0 Replies

dwcoxxx

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 01:36 am
@hamburger,
Herbal teas and sodas are fine with Mormons.
FBM

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 01:38 am
@dwcoxxx,
dwcoxxx wrote:

Herbal teas and sodas are fine with Mormons.

But better with cheeze toast or waffles, in my humble opinion.
0 Replies

dwcoxxx

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 01:43 am
@Setanta,
Mormon was initially meant to be derogatory name for Latter Days Saints who named their church the Church of Jesus Christ. At the time of the New Testament apostles, those who hated the former day Saints were named Christians, also initially meant to be derogatory. This should tell one something about those who insist on derogatory remarks.
0 Replies

dwcoxxx

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 01:46 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
This site should be named "unable to know" since few here seem educated.
0 Replies