seventh day adventists vs mormons

happylds

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 10:30 am
@DD208,
The LDS believe that all people will be resurrected because of the atonement of Jesus Christ. Where you spend eternity depends on how you lived your life and if you accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior.
The LDS also believe that anyone can be saved regardless of their race or religion.
0 Replies

Forest1990

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 05:58 pm
@humpty,
uhhh, do some research on the whole third heaven thing. if you look at the hebrew language you would know that the three heavens represent the sky(1) space(2) and the heaven we all think of when we think of heaven(3) do a lil research and quit with the whole false prophetic work.

that wasnt supposed to be @humpty, it was supposed to be at happylds
0 Replies

Forest1990

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 06:07 pm
@Setanta,
easy. if you believe the bible is true and unchangeable, then go with SDA, if you are willing to disregard biblical text and believe in something that openly contradicts god and his word, go with LDS.
0 Replies

Forest1990

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 06:08 pm
@hamburger,
eh, its some text that says hot liquids aren't for the stomach.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 06:15 pm
@acthc,
7th Day Adventist was founded by Allen White in California. Similar to the Mormons, Adventists do not (should not) eat meat, drink hard liquor, or smoke. That's one of the reasons Adventists have one of the longest life spans in the US.

I think most Protestant religions were rooted in other religions such as Methodist, Baptist, or Judaism, because their beliefs are rooted in the Torah and Bible.
Eva

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 08:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Actually, all Protestant churches trace their roots back to the Catholic church, which traces its roots to Judaism. (Methodist and Baptist are just two of the many forms of Protestantism, along with both SDA & LDS.)
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 09:06 pm
@Eva,
You stated it much better than I did. Mr. Green
Eva

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 09:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks, c.i.!

To be entirely accurate, the LDS church does not consider itself "Protestant" today, although it is most certainly rooted in American Protestantism of the 1800s.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 10:42 pm
@Eva,
They have to be; their church has the picture of Jesus all over the place. We were at Temple Square just a couple of weeks ago.
Eva

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 11:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Right. But they do not follow traditional Protestantism. Their founder, Joseph Smith, was heavily influenced by folk religion (dreams, visions, prophecies, magic) in New England and wrote/published "The Book of Mormon," which was a new text they accept as scripture in addition to the Old and New Testaments. In many ways, it created a new faith.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 12:38 pm
@Eva,
I know that! Polygamy was one of their primary practices; I know of no other protestant religion that teaches the same tenet.
Eva

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 01:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That's just the beginning, c.i. They believe many things that no other church believes.

While the LDS church is a form of Christianity (although certainly not orthodox with a small "0"), it does not consider itself Protestant.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 01:34 pm
@Eva,
Any time I see Jesus as their savior, I assume they are christian and protestant (against the catholic church).

I find the original tenets prescribed by Smith compares favorably about their commonalities. That their doctrine has changed is no different than many of the other protestant/christian denominations.

That their interpretation of the trinity is different doesn't negate their general practices of prayer and baptism. They differ greatly from other religions such as Buddhism, Hinduism, Confucianism, Shinto, and many other religions of the world.

Eva

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 03:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I believe Catholics would take issue with your first statement. They most definitely believe in Christ as their savior.

The LDS faith differentiates itself from all others in several key areas, most notably in its belief in God's special relationship with the U.S.A. and Jesus' physical, living appearance in this country. Among other doctrines, they believe the U.S. Constitution is divinely inspired.

According to Wikipedia ("Mormonism"), "In many ways, however, the religion differs from orthodoxy as held by Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant Christianity. To those for whom Christianity is defined by that orthodoxy, Mormonism's differences place it outside the umbrella of Christianity altogether."

I am a member of a mainline Protestant denomination. Some in my church consider LDS to be Christian, some don't. I could argue it either way, but my opinion isn't important at all. What the LDS church believes about itself is. From the same article quoted above, "Mormonism classifies itself within Christianity, but as a distinct restored dispensation (a period of time...)" So, they do not consider themselves to be Catholic, Orthodox or Protestant. They see themselves as being in a unique position.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 03:05 pm
@Eva,
You wrote,
Quote:
in its belief in God's special relationship with the U.S.A.

Also your opinion about the LDS members seeing themselves as unique.

I find this phenomenon common to all countries with christians or any religion. They even pray to their god when going to war and in sports.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 03:09 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

I believe Catholics would take issue with your first statement. They most definitely believe in Christ as their savior.

Catholics, Protestants and Orthodox Christ (and presumably many other) Christians believe in Jesus as the saviour - that's one of the foundations of ecumenical Christianity.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 03:23 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
That's also the premise of the LDS church as far as I understand it. Jesus is their "savior."
Eva

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 03:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Right. The LDS church sees itself as Christian, just not Catholic, Orthodox or Protestant. It's a unique brand of Christianity.

And I don't think my use of the terminology "God's special relationship with the U.S.A." is an opinion. They are quite specific about that.

0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 03:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
...I find this phenomenon common to all countries with christians or any religion. They even pray to their god when going to war and in sports.

I know what you mean. It's an unending source of frustration to me and many of my Christian friends that some think God must be "on our side." I assure you, we do not all believe that.
vikorr

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 08:38 pm
@Eva,
But doesn't the bible teach that God is on our side? I'm not sure how that worked with Germany and the Allies in WW1, as they were both God fearing countries. But I'm sure David in Psalms said it was so. And the Jews did carry the Ark into battle, so there is precedent.