Auto A/C Repair

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 09:46 am
I recently bought an 89 Honda Accord with A/C that didn't work. After snooping around i found that the A/C compressor belt was missing. It looks like it's been gone for a while (the car had been sitting 2 yrs in a garage before i bought it). The compressor clutch seems a little rusty and i couldn't turn it by hand. Who knows what else is wrong with the system, but i'll never find out with the belt.
My question: is it a good idea to just put the belt on and see what comes? What's the worse that can happen? If the compressor is stuck would it just strip the belt or blow up my engine?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 878 • Replies: 1
No top replies

fishin

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 10:47 am
If the compressor is seized and you put the belt back on you'll get a large cloud of white smoke when you start the engine. The smoke will stop when the belt snaps though. Wink

Since you've already tried to turn the compressor pully and it doesn't spin I don't see much point in puttting a belt on. You already know the answer to that expirement.
0 Replies