Hanging drywall

JPB

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 08:49 am
oops, my bad... I've just learned that we were rehanging sash windows, not double hung. Just goes to show how much I know about these things. Anyway, it was all a great experience.

As to volunteers doing the recovery.... last summer Mr B approached his management and requested a leave for two weeks to volunteer in NO. We figured he'd have to take it without pay, and was only asking for the time off. They granted the leave with pay (thanks!) allowing him to use the rest of his vacation time to go back for another week in December. I'm not sure how common it is for companies to support volunteer efforts by granting time off with pay to help out but it's certainly a good thing that could be done on a much larger scale.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 04:08 pm
I was thinking of you the other day and wondering how things were going....
I'm so glad to get an update!
I think the help you are giving is amazing!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 05:28 pm
Thanks, caribou. Not so amazing, but it's nice to be able to do something to help out. Mr B finds working with an individual homeowner even more rewarding than doing multiple houses for folks whose names were on a list that he never got to meet.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 11:49 am
This is soooo cool, I've got to share.

This is the house we thought we were going to drywall. She's a bit further along than she was at the time than these pictures were taken, but I'm happy to see her getting some attention for what she's accomplished and will continue to accomplish.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/08/29/Worldandnation/The_pull_of_New_Orlea.shtml
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 11:59 am
It's a pity the editor cut out the part where she said: "None of this would have been possible without this strong Chicago dude who carried my stove out!"
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 11:59 am
:wink: That's cool, indeed, and a very interesting report as well!

(On the St. Bernard Project website, btw, you can see some people fixing dry walls :wink: )
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 12:49 pm
Thomas wrote:
It's a pity the editor cut out the part where she said: "None of this would have been possible without this strong Chicago dude who carried my stove out!"

heh - the strong Chicago dude has gotten a few honorable mentions on her own blog.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 12:54 pm
I like happy developments.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 01:25 pm
By the way, does Jenga know that news of her heroic deeds has reached the German newspapers? She is now officially an international celebrity.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 02:12 pm
Yeah, the author posted a comment on her blog.

Quote:
dear jenga (and all your friends out there),

I'm verry happy to see that your story found the interest of this newspaper - it's important to let people know about what's going on in New Orleans and how the New Orleanians get their things together 2 years in the aftermath ...
Yesterday my article was published in the German Newspaper "Hamburger Abendblatt" - it's focusing on you and your story and I'm almost overwhelmed by the fact to have "accomplished that personal mission" whithout being a professional journalist, just being a person caring for the City of New Orleans and the people living there. Even when it's in German and the pictures are not available online I'd like to share this with you: http://www.abendblatt.de/daten/
2007/08/28/787109.html.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 02:26 pm
That gave me the chance to make a donation again :wink:
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 07:10 pm
Huh? Walter, you're a peach!

Mr B and I have made our flight/housing arrangements for our next trip to NOLA. We'll be going down for Voodoo Fest in late Oct and pulling the girls out of school for a couple days so that they may join us.

What we're thinking, at this point, is to tag-team going to the fest with the girls and spending time with Jenga. Maybe she'll have all the dry wall hung at that point and we can spend our energies in other ways. Or, we may yet get to put all this dry-wall expertise to use! Her current plans include purchasing the house next to hers and renovating it as an alternative school to the NOLA public school system. She wants to give her daughter a quality education and make the neighborhood a place that invites people to come home to.

I must say that Jenga's mom, Nilima (pronounced nee-lee-ma), is a wonderful woman. Mr B and I admire both ladies and look forward to another trip to the 9th Ward to give whatever support they need at the time.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 09:55 pm
JPB wrote:
Mr B and I admire both ladies and look forward to another trip to the 9th Ward to give whatever support they need at the time.

They do admire both of you as well!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 09:38 pm
JPB wrote:
Mr B and I admire both ladies and look forward to another trip to the 9th Ward to give whatever support they need at the time.

.... and so you already helped to put up the fence, replaces some ceiling boards, sanded and painted a couple rooms, caulked the exterior siding ... :wink:
0 Replies