DVD's I Burn are Feeble and Flakey

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 07:13 pm
Sometimes they are alright, but usually problems playing them occur eventually. Occasionally they don't work immediately after burning, but more often they work initially, but fail as soon as they aren't spotlessly clean. I usually have better luck playing them on the DVD player than on the PC, but even the DVD player often has problems with them. Typically it says that the disk is dirty or merely "cannot play this disk." My PC has more than enough memory. Neither machine has a problem with commercial DVDs.

Why would this be? Is this kind of problem generally caused by software or the disk burning drive? Some came from original disks and some were captured from videotapes. I use DVD Shrink 3.2.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,432 • Replies: 6
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 07:19 pm
Sometimes they put weird stuff on there to prevent copyright violations. I can't remember the name of the programs they use but it is hard to over-ride from what I hear.

Could that be your problem?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 10:12 pm
boomerang wrote:
Sometimes they put weird stuff on there to prevent copyright violations. I can't remember the name of the programs they use but it is hard to over-ride from what I hear.

Could that be your problem?

I doubt it, because usually the coies work, but are incredibly sensitive to dirt or the slightest scratch, and about half of them eventually become unusable.
0 Replies

Stormwatch

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 05:40 am
Are you putting labels on them or writing on them with a pen that is not made for cd writing? Either of those can affect the cd, although not usually immediately. Also, are you using quality cds? I know the price of the 100 spindles is attractive, but I frequently get unusable cds in those.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 05:46 am
Stormwatch wrote:
Are you putting labels on them or writing on them with a pen that is not made for cd writing? Either of those can affect the cd, although not usually immediately.

I am putting labels on them, but I print the labels in my printer and stick them on very, very carefully.

Stormwatch wrote:
Also, are you using quality cds? I know the price of the 100 spindles is attractive, but I frequently get unusable cds in those.

Well, I have been using those bulk DVDs from a spindle lately. I had no idea that they might be inferior.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 06:10 am
I've burnt yestrday some photos Mrs Walter took in Italy - too much for a cd, so I burnt them on a dvd.
The cheap dvd from a spindle doesn't run on the dvd-recorder (which actually can read all formats) but only on the computers.
No problem with a brand dvd (which was a cheaper one as [verbatim]).
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 07:32 am
There is also usually a setting to adjust the speed of the CD writer. I've had some success slowing it down.

I've also had differing results based on which PC I burn it from. Our home PC makes flakey CDs (even with an HP-brand CD burner) while my laptop burns successfully every time.
0 Replies