White Peaches?

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 04:02 pm
How are they grown and what do they taste like?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,201 • Replies: 18
No top replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 04:09 pm
I was wondering the same thing NH. Question

I had never seen them or heard of them before this week when I saw them in the market.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 04:17 pm
When ripe, they are delicious! They taste like really good peaches. Whether they are worth the extra cost I don't know. They are grown just like regular peaches, but not in as high a quantity, hence the price. It's just a trendy seasonal peach, admired for its colour, like a dinosaur nectarine.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 05:05 pm
I've seen them in my super market, but I have never bought them. Now I am curious..........
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 06:34 pm
ooh ooh a dinosaur nectarine? whazzat?
White peaches are ok for eating fresh, not as good for pies. I have 2 trees and they produce in a cycle, hevy one year, light the next. I forget if this year is heavy or light. I rather like the yellow georgia glows and freestones. They have a very strong peachy flavor. Hard to describe, needs to be experienced.
White peaches require a lot of gun toting staying up late and shooing the racoons. Racoons love anything that humans love, and they get it at the peak of flavor. If a racoon had a cooking show, watch it and learn about produce.
0 Replies

jackie

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 08:15 pm
Great tip and very amusing Farmerman.
Racoons also like to come through pet doors in lower level garage,
(where they seldom see people-) and eat up the cat food!! They learn where this is, learn the 'people' 'cat' schedule, and they DO NOT FORGET!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 08:29 pm
Farmer, tell a raccoon and peaches story with your own accompanying drawings, emphasis on Racky as connoisseur, and you have a book, and retirement money, should you wish. Or never mind money, possibly fun. Not to be a nudge.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 08:34 pm
see, what sounds like fun and cute to you,is a battle for the right to live that we in the rural areas wage against the wiley and very intelligent racoon. See, what jackie sez about coons learning and remembering is only made worse by the fact that they TEACH THAT STUFF TO THEIR YOUNG!!. So we have generations of little masked thugs that are taking over.
Pretty soon theres gonna be an avatar from a racoon, whose on a2k and whose figuring it all out and passing it on.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 09:07 pm
OK, don't write that book, don't enjoy that they might in concept be connoisseurs. I know their presence on suburban decks is reflective of various imbalances, including the decks being there in the first place, the decks and the potential food.

I don't personally know if they are connoisseurs of peach ripeness, but it amuses me to think about it. I know, I don't have a peach orchard, I admit that.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 09:08 pm
I think I made a booboo in my haste at posting. It is a dinosaur plum, not a nectarine, yellow skin with pretty purple dots all over it, and a tad larger than a normal red or purple plum.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 10:34 pm
Sounds OK to me!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 12:11 am
Well, you get them in Europe since years and years.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 07:00 am
Plumosaurus rex
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 07:09 am
Surprised

However, more:
Imperator persicum album:

Amanda, Spring White, Manon, Hermione, Snow Brite, Cristalline, Daisy, Fidelia, White Lady, Vermeil, Dorothee, Benedicte, Laurence, Glenna, Tendresse, Opale, Snow King, Douceur, Agathe, Gladys .......

:wink:
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 07:39 am
are a lot of those market cultivars Walter? Do you have a description cause many times a special cultivar is developed for market conditions and not neccesarily flavor. Peaches have been the object of many fruit developers here in the states. What they often wind up with is an early picking, long keeping, no bruising , great for shipping peach that has all the flavor of the box they put them in.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 07:55 am
When I was shopping this morning at our local market, all fruit stands had at least on kind of white peaches.

I got those names from this website White Peaches from Chateau de Nages
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 02:23 pm
Nice site, Walter. What are Nages?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 02:31 pm
Seems to be a proper name of a château in Languedoc-Roussillon.
They produce vin as well.

('nage' normally means 'the swimming')
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 05:16 pm
Sounds picturesque...
0 Replies