Why I love Canada, land of the maple leaf.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 01:28 pm
Tico wrote:

It's custom to eat the red ones last. :wink:

I'd thaught that was a law :wink:

Btw: Smarties were introduced in 1937 as "Chocolate Niblet Beans" by Rowntree's of York and renamed as Smarties in the following year. They became known as "Nestlé Smarties" in 1993, five years after the company Rowntree Mackintosh was acquired by Nestlé
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 01:32 pm
Smarties!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 01:38 pm
Interesting, there appears to be two different candies altogether. The link on Victor's thread points to the same brand as the one I posted. Their homepage includes the statement -

Do not confuse our Smarties with Nestles Chocolate Smarties

I've never seen the Nestles version.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 01:45 pm
JPB wrote:
I've never seen the Nestles version.

It's with smarties similar to Budweiser: though the original Czech beer is much older ...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 01:46 pm
Smarties in Canadia are slightly larger than M&Ms, but i don't think the chocolate they use is quite as good--but i like 'em . . . more colors. Now that i know the scoop, i intend to eat all the red ones first. The blue ones taste better, anyway.

I also like Coffee Crisp. Aeros are for suckers, you pay for a chocolate bar, which has big air bubbles in it . . . suckers . . .

http://www.hometownfavorites.com/images/items/Large/htfca338.jpg

http://britbits.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/media/AeroBars.JPG
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 01:48 pm
Aha! We have uncovered another cultural difference here ...

Quote:
In the United States, Smarties are a type of artificially fruit-flavored candy produced by Ce De Candy, Inc.. These are marketed outside of the US under the brand name "Rockets", to avoid confusion with Nestlé Smarties. In Canada, they are distributed by Regal Confections. In Australia, a similar product (but different) is known as Fruit Tingles and is produced and distributed by an unrelated company, Allens (owned by Nestlé). Imitations have been offered on the market by smaller brands, but Rockets seem to have won the battle through greater distribution. They may also be dispensed in KLIK Rockets Dispensers, also distributed by the same company.

Originally, I was going to say that JPB's Smarties are what I remember being called Rockets!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 02:03 pm
Setanta wrote:

http://britbits.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/media/AeroBars.JPG

Another of those examples:
Quote:
Where Aero is sold
In addition to the United Kingdom, the bar is also sold in Canada, Australia, The Republic of Ireland, Japan, and New Zealand under the Aero name, and in the Netherlands by Nestlé as Bros (meaning: 'brittle'). The Aero bar was made available for a short time in the United States by Nestle during the 1980s, though it seems not to have been a commercial success. The British version is available in some parts of the US as an import. Aero enjoys a large market following in South Africa with Aero, Aero Mint and, recently, White Aero. In Brazil the bar is known as Sufflair

Aero here is since the the early 20th century produced by Trumpf ...

http://i5.tinypic.com/2lk61s1.jpg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 02:08 pm
in april 1956 we applied at the canadian immigration office in hamburg for our visa to enter canada .
since we paid our own fare and had a bit of money to spare there was no problem getting approved quickly . for those that didn't have the money for the fare , the canadian government would even advance the money !
when we left hamburg in late july , we were dressed in typical german summerwear : solid shoes , warm socks , underwear , shirt and tie , suit and light overcoat ... and a hat Laughing .
two weeks later - in early august we arrived in montreal and were greeted by a temperature of about 35 C ! we had never experienced that kind of heat in germany ... we thought we'd landed in south-america by mistake .
my first job was as a helper on a construction site - the temperature stayed at about 30 C and , of course , no air-conditioning in the apartment !
we had a difficult time understanding how anyone could live and work in that kind of heat .
by october i had managed to land an office job and things looked pretty good .
december came and with it the first blast of canadian winter . i put on my german "wintercoat" , put on my hat and went to work ... on the way back home i wrapped my scarf around my face for the ten minute walk home ! next day i purchased on of those lined farmer's caps with EARFLAPS !
shortly thereafter i was introduced to the "beauty" of "rubber overboots" Laughing , what a sight !
fifty years later we have learned to wear parkas , fur-lined boots and furhats in the winter and run around in shorts and t-shirt in the summer and know how to operate a furnace and an air-conditioner !
in some years we seem to turn off the furnace on one day and turn on the air-conditioner the next day !

OH , CANADA Laughing Very Happy

and at this time of the year we start looking for the first flowers that are poking through the leaves and soil in the garden ... and waiting for some snow over the easter-weekend !

that's the CANADA the immigration officers never told us about .
i still see the picture that covered the backwall of the office :
HUGE WHEATFIELDS swaying in the wind !
hbg ( now in canada , eh !)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 05:51 pm
A Fruit Tingle is a Fruit Tingle, and a Smarty is a Smarty.

NEVER the twain shall meet!

M&M's suck.

There is a dospenser of them in our tea room, and I have no problem resisting.

If they were Smarties.....it would be HELL!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 06:42 pm
dlowan wrote:

stop using strange aussie colloquialisms, what is a dospenser anyway
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 07:47 pm
djjd62 wrote:
dlowan wrote:

A small machine that distributes obsolete operating systems.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 08:45 pm
George wrote:
djjd62 wrote:
dlowan wrote:

A small machine that distributes obsolete operating systems.

Nonsense.

I work in a hospital.

It is a machine that DISpenses small DOSes of the those second rate Smarties substitute things...
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 09:05 pm
Australian Fruit tingles

http://images.calorieking.com.au/branding/dc/runtime/portionsense/97.jpg

Australian Smarties
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/eb/Smarties_(Candy).jpg/800px-Smarties_(Candy).jpg

Quote:
Canadians eat enough Smarties each year to circle the Earth 350 times.

The quote is from Nestlé Canada. Assume it is correct, as they also say, that Canadians eat four billion of the candy-coated chocolate spheroids, what's the diameter of a Smarty?

When you have arrived at your answer, click HERE to read how a grade 6 class challenged the company and made them change their 'fact'.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 09:11 pm
Heh heh.......I guess Smarties manufacturers ain't that smart.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 02:27 pm
"A true Canadian is one who can make love in a canoe without tipping "

Pierre Berton - on the right - in dawson city 1998

http://www.yukonweb.com/community/dawson/klondike_sun/oct30-98.htmld/pierre.jpg
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 02:32 pm
...or a dory if you're in the Maritimes.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 02:47 pm
...and when you are finished with "it" , you can turn the dory into a flowerpot ...

http://www.perfectphoto.ca/Gallery/Flowers/images/RVN_18917.jpg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 02:51 pm
"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart! " Laughing
Philip Chester
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 03:38 pm
If you were born and raised in BC like me, then it would be the ability to have sex on the beach, or on the trail, or on skis, without anyone being able to tell……
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 03:52 pm
"A true Canadian is one who can make love in a canoe without tipping "

Sheesh! Now you gotta leave a tip! That's rowlocks, what if you have two oars in the boat, how much is that?
0 Replies