Auto A/C Question

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 12:36 pm
Can an older model car A/C have the new type freon substituted for R12? If so, does the old freon have to be removed first, or could it be topped off?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,470 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 12:53 pm
Re: Auto A/C Question
<b>Frodo Baggins</b> wrote:
Can an older model car A/C have the new type freon substituted for R12? If so, does the old freon have to be removed first, or could it be topped off?
I think (not sure) the old gas needs to be evacuated) 2 of my cars had old gas that was evacuated and replaced by the new gas (cost about $100)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 12:57 pm
R12 can still be had, but bought only by one with a license. Was looking to get around that.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 12:58 pm
Yup. They evacuate the old freon (R12), change some seals and refill the system with R134a. If you don't replace the seals the R134a will eat through them in short order.

In some vehicles it is an easy conversion (Jeep had a $99 conversion kit for the Cherokee I used to own), in some it is a fairly expensive ordeal.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 01:00 pm
This is a 87 Camaro.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 01:22 pm
If you know anyone in the heating and cooling business, he'd probably be able to help you out with the old stuff (which is actually, considerably, better)(unless you have a leak, cause it ain't cheap).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 01:27 pm
It's just a bit low after the car sat basically unused for four or five years. It was kept driveable, and just got inspection and tags.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 01:36 pm
Somebody you know, knows the guy, if you don't. Ask around. If you know restaurant/Bar guys (coolers and A/C break down regularly), he probably has a handy man, that he calls when he doesn't want to get bent. If by some inverted miracle you don't know anybody who knows anybody; Less English= Better. :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 01:37 pm
My old supervisor always kept a tank of R12 in reserve. Might look him up.
0 Replies