Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 10:39 pm
Just got a couple of flats of fresh Ontario strawberries (late but delicious) and oven-dried some. A fair bit will go into my Strawberry-Merlot jam, and the rest we will eat. How do you preserve and/or extend your own summer bounty?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,443 • Replies: 9
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 10:48 pm
I bought a five pound basket of cherries; ate some and froze some.
c.i.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 05:54 am
we ppreserve sweet corn by freezing. Its always welcome in the cold winter. We also take tomatoes and dehydrate them, this , to us, is the best way to preserve their flavor . I also like to eat them like tomato chips.
All the rest dont make it past summer.

Oh yeh, sour cherries we freeze forpies and we make schnitz apples .
0 Replies

jackie

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 10:47 am
Yuummmm Cav, strawberry Merlot Jam???
That sounds delicious. Not that I am ambitious, but how do you make it?

Could I have strawberries w/cream and have merlot over it, would that be good?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 10:49 am
Jackie, try strawberries, bitterweet chocolate, and a glass of ripe Merlot on the side....or, a splash of raspberry balsamic on the fresh strawberries, with whipped cream, and no wine. My dried strawberries were not to my taste....luckily the dog likes them Very Happy
0 Replies

jackie

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 11:51 am
Cav, you wastrel Laughing Laughing Laughing
feeding the DOG precious strawberries???

(just a good natured jab- I have a hard time throwing out a smushed- looking strawberry that is off taste!!!)

I will try your bittersweetchoc/sb w/ ripe merlot. Let you know what I think.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 12:37 pm
There's a strawberry-Merlot sorbet I buy sometimes -- yum.

We're in the midst of a bounty of red raspberries from the Puyallup Valley. I buy them from a family of farmers who sell out of the back of their car. They pick early in the morning and park off the side of the road about a mile from my house. They'll sell 'til the day's pickings are gone. Whenever anyone in the know sees them, they stop or do a U-turn to snag a half-flat for $7.50, because if you wait, there won't be any left. I admit, I've been eating a pint box almost every day since the 4th of July. Smile Occasionally I'll freeze them, but they're so much better fresh. I've also made raspberry vinegar -- none yet this year. My recipe is simple -- white vinegar poured into a bottle filled with washed raspberries.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 02:22 pm
Dang, I've got strawberries coming out of my arse...putting them all into jam would be too much work....I think some strawberry ice cream may be in order Very Happy
0 Replies

jackie

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 03:14 pm
Hear Hear!!

Now you are thinking RIGHT!

All this talk of berries made me go shop hunting. Got some great Bing cherries. (just enough to eat, and make me not want anymore.) Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 03:27 pm
Got the chiller in the freezer for the weekend...
0 Replies