Iran seizes British Navy Personnel in Iraqi Waters

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 10:04 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
xingu wrote:
The question now is who is receiving better treatment, the British sailors or the five minor Iranian officials. Given the Bush administrations history on prisoner handling I would bet the British sailors are receiving far more humane treatment.

What is it some fool said on A2K; oh ya, the horrible treatment that poor helpless British woman is going through, making her wear a head scarf in total violation of the G.C.

Quote:
Tehran, 29 Jan. (AKI) - Iran's Revolutionary Guard, the Pasdaran, have threatened to abduct US troops if Washington does not release five Iranian officials kidnapped in the northern Iraqi town of Erbil in a raid on Tehran's consulate earlier this year. In an article published by the Pasdaran's mouthpiece, Sobhe Sadegh, the director of the centre for strategic studies of the Iranian presidency, Reza Zakeri, also says Iran will retaliate against any further abduction of Iranian nationals.

Five Iranian officials were detained in the Kurdish-controlled city on charges of being connected to a faction of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, the Pasdaran, that funds and arms insurgents in Iraq.

"The United States has put together a list including the names of 35 high officials of the Pasdaran and Iran's atomic agency to kidnap and question them on the military and nuclear potential of the Islamic Republic but if they will try to kidnap even one person our reaction will be harsh and immediate," Zakeri wrote in the article.

The article follows a report in the Washington Post last week saying that the Bush administration has authorized US troops to kill or capture Iranian operatives in Iraq.

http://www.adnki.com/index_2Level_English.php?cat=Politics&loid=8.0.381232740&par=

If the Bush administration is of the mentality that these people should be captured or killed than I suspect their treatment is far more harsh than what the British sailors are going through.

What I find interesting about this article is the officials whom they wanted to kidnap had a meeting with the President of Iraq and the President of the KRG. If these Iranians are helping the Shiite insurgents then why not arrest Jalal Talabani and Massoud Barzani? Lets not forget the Kurds are suppose to be our strongest allies in Iraq. So if our strongest allies are meeting with our enemies does that make them our friends?

I, personally, don't think we have any friends in Iraq. We are an alien invader, a disease, hated and despised, being used by different factions for their own purposes.

The idea that the 15 British sailors are being treated well is belied by the fact that they all confessed instantaneously and publicly, something which must surely be against their ordinary natures.

As for the Iraqis, I'm sure they all wish that Saddam Hussein and his sons were back raping and pillaging, and torturing (often to death) anyone who expressed dissent.

And I am equally sure that you would approve of American citizens who dissent receiving that treatment..... as long as you could watch it from the safety of your armchair and keep your hands clean of course :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 03:39 am
Iran hostage captain is removed from post

Quote:
Monday, 28 July 2008

The commanding officer at the centre of the Iranian hostage crisis has been removed from his post, the Ministry of Defence said today.

Commander Jeremy Woods was captain of the frigate HMS Cornwall when 15 sailors and Royal Marines were captured by Iranian forces in the Persian Gulf in March last year.

Iran claimed the group, who were conducting board-and-search operations, had strayed into their territorial waters.

They were arrested at gunpoint and held for 13 days before being released.

A parliamentary inquiry called the episode a "national embarrassment" and in December MPs said formal administration action has been taken against a number of service personnel.

The MoD said Cdr Woods was moved "to a post where his talents and experience can be used to best effect".

The spokesman said the transfer was an "internal administrative matter" and Cdr Woods would keep his rank and continue to serve in the Royal Navy.

He said: "We can confirm that Commander Jeremy Woods, Commanding Officer of HMS Cornwall, has been removed from command.

"This is an internal administrative matter between the individual and his senior officers and we will not give further details of the removal.

"Cdr Woods will continue to serve in the Royal Navy and he will be reappointed to a post where his talents and experience can be used to best effect."

[...]
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 07:57 am
Cheezits... instead of giving him a medal... they give him a demotion. I wonder how many will take his place? And a "parliamentary inquiry" called him a "national disgrace" for being captured and held for two weeks?

I hear they are trying to ban knives too. What hell are they smoking in Great Britain?

Reminds me of the American vs. Japanese boat race.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:10 am
cjhsa wrote:
I wonder how many will take his place?

Well, that would be really interesting: two (or even more) persons commanding a ship ...

cjhsa wrote:
And a "parliamentary inquiry" called him a "national disgrace" for being captured and held for two weeks?

No. Neither according to the above quote nor to any other source.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:13 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

Well, that would be really interesting: two (or even more) persons commanding a ship ...

cjhsa wrote:
And a "parliamentary inquiry" called him a "national disgrace" for being captured and held for two weeks?

No. Neither according to the above quote nor to any other source.

Uh, yeah, they did:
"
A parliamentary inquiry called the episode a "national embarrassment" and in December MPs said formal administration action has been taken against a number of service personnel. "

Since he was squad commander, guess who's the brunt of the "national embarassment" (sorry, I didn't mean to change the wording before) ?

I thought you had time in the service Walt, You know the ranking officer always gets the brunt of any blame.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:15 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

The Americans and the Japanese decided to engage in a competitive boat race. Both teams practiced hard and long to reach their peak performance.

On the big day they felt ready. The Japanese won by a mile. Afterward, the American team was discouraged by the loss. Morale sagged. Corporate management decided that the reason for the crushing defeat had to be found, so a consulting firm was hired to investigate the problem and recommended corrective action.

The consultant's finding: The Japanese team had eight people rowing and one person steering; the American team had one person rowing and eight people steering.

After a year of study and millions spent analyzing the problem, the consultant firm concluded that too many people were steering and not enough were rowing on the American team.

So as race day neared again the following year, the American team's management structure was completely reorganized. The new structure: four steering managers, three area steering managers and a new performance review system for the person rowing the boat to provide work incentive.

The next year, the Japanese won by two miles. Humiliated, the American corporation laid off the rower for poor performance and gave the managers a bonus for discovering the problem.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:20 am
Your naval and maritime experiences are overwhelming.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:30 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Your naval and maritime experiences are overwhelming.

At least my farts still sound like farts.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:45 am
cjhsa wrote:
At least my farts still sound like farts.

Well, kind of.
0 Replies

Kayyam

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 11:56 pm
The Times
0 Replies