Iran seizes British Navy Personnel in Iraqi Waters

malek

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 08:56 am
DrewDad wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Then do it swiftly, economically and totally and tell anyone who doesn't like it to go f**k themselves.

But this spending a few million dollars to start up the fleet, pull up to the border and moon them is expensive and stupid.

Damn straight....

I agree. But only after it becomes obvious that the prisoners will never be released or are being tortured/killed.
Getting them back safely is of paramount importance at this stage, however.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 09:17 am
I am no hero nor do I set standards for bravery but I think I can say without reservation that I would rather be killed in a missile strike by my own countrymen than tortured and eventually killed over time by hostiles.
0 Replies

malek

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 10:27 am
And if I ever were to be such a prisoner, I would opt for the Britsh to be arranging my rescue/release, over virtually any other nationality.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 01:35 pm
if anyone has read the comments posted on the BBC website you may have noticed that there are a fair number of people that are essentially saying : "blair has lied to us numerous times . how can we be sure that he is not lying to us know re. the location where the boarding took place ? " .

i still have not found a satisfactory explanation as to how the british navy "was surprised" and seemed to be unable to keep track of the ongoing boarding operation .
i still wonder why 15 sailors were sent out in a cutter without any backup in an area that obviously has been under dispute for some time .
hbg
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 02:19 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
not saying that at all... just stating that you seem to think the blood and guts solution is always the immediate and correct course.... maybe I'm wrong.... but that seems to be how you present.

I personally think that IF the Iranians took these sailors out of international waters and refuse to return them.... IF..... then we should bomb and destroy all their ports and tell them we realize that they're going to kill the hostages but we're going to do it anyway.

Then do it swiftly, economically and totally and tell anyone who doesn't like it to go f**k themselves.

But this spending a few million dollars to start up the fleet, pull up to the border and moon them is expensive and stupid.
Astounding...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 02:55 pm
okay I'll bite...... why?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 05:10 pm
I'm with you bear. If you are gonna smack some one, do it, dont talk about doing it first, and hit em hard enough to make sure they stay down. Then finish your beer and leave before their 5 friends get there to help out.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 06:42 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
okay I'll bite...... why?
It's 180 degrees from everything I've heard you say about Iraq. Do you know how many innocents would die in a massive attack on their ports? That would not be a proportionate response, to say the least.

I happen to concur completely... but I find it astounding to read those words from you.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 12:34 am
that's because you like all the conservatives or conservative leaning people around here think that because I despise bush and his ridiculous unecessary and blasphemously wasteful war and because I call it what it is (genocide)and recognize the useless slaughter of thousands that I'm a tree hugging pussy.

Guess again.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 02:59 am
Not Bi-Polar Bear...

http://i13.tinypic.com/47twyuo.jpg
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 03:36 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I am no hero nor do I set standards for bravery but I think I can say without reservation that I would rather be killed in a missile strike by my own countrymen than tortured and eventually killed over time by hostiles.
And if the "hostiles" are treating you quite well? First of all we dont have consular access. We dont know where they are. They appear to be well treated. Iran is playing a very clever game here but then so might the Brits in furtherance of American war aims. What about the 5 Iranians who had diplomatic status kidnapped by the Americans in Irbil and "disappeared" into the American gulag? Dont you think that might influence Iranian thinking?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 05:34 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
And if the "hostiles" are treating you quite well? First of all we dont have consular access. We dont know where they are. They appear to be well treated. Iran is playing a very clever game here but then so might the Brits in furtherance of American war aims. What about the 5 Iranians who had diplomatic status kidnapped by the Americans in Irbil and "disappeared" into the American gulag? Dont you think that might influence Iranian thinking?

Being kidnapped and then treated well, a possibility made less plausible by the almost instantaneous confessions of these ordinary British sailors, is still not an acceptable condition. Your people have been kidnapped, and another rant about America the Great Satan doesn't really address the situation that your country and countrymen are now in. I have no doubt that someone can work out logic by which the kidnapping of your people is our president's fault, but it's nonsense.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 05:47 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Being kidnapped and then treated well, a possibility made less plausible by the almost instantaneous confessions of these ordinary British sailors, is still not an acceptable condition. Your people have been kidnapped, and another rant about America the Great Satan doesn't really address the situation that your country and countrymen are now in.
So what would you do to get them out? Send in the SAS with a map showing all the prisons? Perhaps we could get the Americans to release the 5 Iranians who were invited to Iraq by the Kurds, then accused of being foreign insurgents. Or perhaps these service personnel are just pawns in a much wider and dirtier game. If Britian declared war on Iran (and taking British service personnel prisoner at the point of a gun is an act of war in itself), would the Americans have the guts to fight too?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 05:55 am
While on the one hand meanwhile a second member of the Royal Navy crew captured in the Gulf has apologised for "trespassing" in Iranian waters, Iranseems to get back to diplomacy: Iran's UN mission said in a statement: "This case can and should be settled through bilateral channels."
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 06:30 am
They want to force Britain into a humiliating apology. Simple really say sorry and they can go home.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 06:40 am
I don't think that Britain will do that.

So it will take some more time and some more (diplomatic) sabre-rattling until this becomes another part of the Iranian-British history.
I hope.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 06:41 am
lmur wrote:
Not Bi-Polar Bear...

http://i13.tinypic.com/47twyuo.jpg

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 06:44 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I wasn't making a snide remark or trying to pick a fight...just stating my feelings. If I was just being held but well treated naturally I'd think differently.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 06:45 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Being kidnapped and then treated well, a possibility made less plausible by the almost instantaneous confessions of these ordinary British sailors, is still not an acceptable condition. Your people have been kidnapped, and another rant about America the Great Satan doesn't really address the situation that your country and countrymen are now in. I have no doubt that someone can work out logic by which the kidnapping of your people is our president's fault, but it's nonsense.

now see, there's one of the main reasons I would prefer to side with the tree hugging pussies.... apparently the other side is populated with a bunch of Brandon 9000's. Laughing
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 06:56 am
Islamic Republic News Agency wrote:
Fifteen British marine who illegally entered into Iranian territorial waters were arrested by the Iranian border guards.

The British media and officials have launched a wave of propaganda campaign against Iran immediately after capture of the British sailors and marines.

Regardless of the GPS surveys, monitored by Iran and offered to the British government, the British media insist that the British navy has not violated Iranian waters.
0 Replies