Iran seizes British Navy Personnel in Iraqi Waters

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 07:10 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
...If Britian declared war on Iran (and taking British service personnel prisoner at the point of a gun is an act of war in itself), would the Americans have the guts to fight too?

I am very sure that if Britain were in a problem situation which they responded to with their military, and they asked the US for help, we would provide it, even if the battle were one that we would otherwise prefer not to take on. Great Britain is held in extremely high esteem here, and very few people will forget the support your country has shown to us.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 07:11 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I am no hero nor do I set standards for bravery but I think I can say without reservation that I would rather be killed in a missile strike by my own countrymen than tortured and eventually killed over time by hostiles.
And if the "hostiles" are treating you quite well? First of all we dont have consular access. We dont know where they are. They appear to be well treated. Iran is playing a very clever game here but then so might the Brits in furtherance of American war aims. What about the 5 Iranians who had diplomatic status kidnapped by the Americans in Irbil and "disappeared" into the American gulag? Dont you think that might influence Iranian thinking?

Being kidnapped and then treated well, a possibility made less plausible by the almost instantaneous confessions of these ordinary British sailors, is still not an acceptable condition. Your people have been kidnapped, and another rant about America the Great Satan doesn't really address the situation that your country and countrymen are now in. I have no doubt that someone can work out logic by which the kidnapping of your people is our president's fault, but it's nonsense.

now see, there's one of the main reasons I would prefer to side with the tree hugging pussies.... apparently the other side is populated with a bunch of Brandon 9000's. Laughing

As always, you lack the guts to actually provide an argument that anything I've said is in error. You are like a little annoying dog, yapping at the ankles of your betters as they try to debate the issues of the day.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 07:12 am
nice cat btw

more from irna

http://www2.irna.ir/en/news/view/line-17/0703304649161453.htm

Should the British government apologise? What does a few words of unfelt apology matter if they can come home? Its just an ego trip for power brokers.

Of course The British Government, being very important will not apologise. And the Iranian Regime, will not let them go until they do. How long did they keep the American hostages? And how did the military plan to free them go?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 07:15 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I am no hero nor do I set standards for bravery but I think I can say without reservation that I would rather be killed in a missile strike by my own countrymen than tortured and eventually killed over time by hostiles.
And if the "hostiles" are treating you quite well? First of all we dont have consular access. We dont know where they are. They appear to be well treated. Iran is playing a very clever game here but then so might the Brits in furtherance of American war aims. What about the 5 Iranians who had diplomatic status kidnapped by the Americans in Irbil and "disappeared" into the American gulag? Dont you think that might influence Iranian thinking?

Being kidnapped and then treated well, a possibility made less plausible by the almost instantaneous confessions of these ordinary British sailors, is still not an acceptable condition. Your people have been kidnapped, and another rant about America the Great Satan doesn't really address the situation that your country and countrymen are now in. I have no doubt that someone can work out logic by which the kidnapping of your people is our president's fault, but it's nonsense.

now see, there's one of the main reasons I would prefer to side with the tree hugging pussies.... apparently the other side is populated with a bunch of Brandon 9000's. Laughing

As always, you lack the guts to actually provide an argument that anything I've said is in error. You are like a little annoying dog, yapping at the ankles of your betters as they try to debate the issues of the day.

and you are like a neutered toothless lion who can only roar from behind the fence.... in soprano......... guts... that's a pretty strong word for you isn't it Brandon? :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 07:15 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Great Britain is held in extremely high esteem here, and very few people will forget the support your country has shown to us.

I'm sure, the USA would be glad to get such a simple reason for starting a new war.

And, Brandon, soldiers and citizens from Northern Ireland are supporting your country as well. :wink:
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 07:27 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
nice cat btw

more from irna

Should the British government apologise? What does a few words of unfelt apology matter if they can come home? Its just an ego trip for power brokers.

Of course The British Government, being very important will not apologise. And the Iranian Regime, will not let them go until they do. How long did they keep the American hostages? And how did the military plan to free them go?

Dealing with criminals by apologizing to them? That sounds like a good plan....
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 07:34 am
DrewDad wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
nice cat btw

more from irna

Dealing with criminals by apologizing to them? That sounds like a good plan....

Whether Iran's actions are legal or illegal depends on what side of the fence your standing on. Saudi Arabia has just declared that America's occupation of Iraq is illegal. Therefore that would make England's presence illegal.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 07:44 am
and therein lies the real problem. Do I take the word of a middle eastern country that is run by madmen who behead people......... or do I take the word of my own government who have proven they can't be trusted to tell the truth and use a patriot act so they can torture people and hold their country by force?

What's a regular human to do? And after a while, how is a regular human supposed to really give a **** about any of this?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 07:48 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
I am very sure that if Britain were in a problem situation which they responded to with their military, and they asked the US for help, we would provide it, even if the battle were one that we would otherwise prefer not to take on. Great Britain is held in extremely high esteem here, and very few people will forget the support your country has shown to us.
Not everyone in Britain is such a keen supporter of George Bush as is Tony Blair

World Opinion Poll wrote:
Like the Australians, a majority of British voters also favor withdrawing from Iraq, according to a YouGov poll conducted in March. Fifty-five percent said they favored the withdrawal of British forces. Of those respondents, 24 percent supported the immediate withdrawal of British troops and 31 percent said the troops should be withdrawn within the next year, regardless of conditions in Iraq. Only 39 percent of those polled in Britain said they supported keeping British troops in Iraq until Iraq's own police were able to take over security operations.

Actually, and this might surprise you Brandon, the real reason I am so mad with the American administration (and not please with Americans, I am not anti American per se) is not that we (you and us) invaded Iraq and got rid of Saddam, but that under American leadership WE SCREWED IT UP.

Whatever the situation before, we are now in a global struggle with militant Islamists for the control of middle east oil. Its a struggle we cant afford to loose, and because of the idiotic incompetence of American leadership, particularly in the immediate "post invasion" phase in Iraq, its going to get a lot worse before it gets any better.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 08:07 am
The only good thing I can see about this situation is that I get to win my bet with OccomBill. Link

I got a little chill when I saw that the arrests were made by "Iran's Revolutionary Guard naval corps, which operates separately from Iran's navy." Washington Post It's the radicals who are pressing forward on this.

Joe(there won't be turning back for a long time, if ever)Nation
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 08:10 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Not everyone in Britain is such a keen supporter of George Bush as is Tony Blair

World Opinion Poll wrote:
Like the Australians, a majority of British voters also favor withdrawing from Iraq, according to a YouGov poll conducted in March. Fifty-five percent said they favored the withdrawal of British forces. Of those respondents, 24 percent supported the immediate withdrawal of British troops and 31 percent said the troops should be withdrawn within the next year, regardless of conditions in Iraq. Only 39 percent of those polled in Britain said they supported keeping British troops in Iraq until Iraq's own police were able to take over security operations.

Actually, and this might surprise you Brandon, the real reason I am so mad with the American administration (and not please with Americans, I am not anti American per se) is not that we (you and us) invaded Iraq and got rid of Saddam, but that under American leadership WE SCREWED IT UP.

Whatever the situation before, we are now in a global struggle with militant Islamists for the control of middle east oil. Its a struggle we cant afford to loose, and because of the idiotic incompetence of American leadership, particularly in the immediate "post invasion" phase in Iraq, its going to get a lot worse before it gets any better.

Although it's hard to judge with the information at my disposal, it does seem to me that the occupation could and should have been handled more effectively. However, I would like some clarification as to what you mean when you say that we are there for oil. It goes without saying that we don't really want most of the world's oil supply in the hands of radical Islamic mental cases who hate us, but I believe that the reason we are remaining in Iraq is that (1) we believe that the democracy we have tried to establish in Iraq deserves protection, and that (2) the insurgents are mostly evil men who deserve to be opposed, and that (3) some of the people we are fighting, if allowed to triumph in Iraq, will try to harm us in the future. Do you have any hard evidence that we're remaining in Iraq for reasons connected with oil? Are we stealing the oil? How are we stealing it, and how are we transporting the stolen oil back to the US?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 08:41 am
Brandon:

This is not about stealing oil, just making sure that the USA controls who controls the oil. The dream was that we would put in place a peaceful democracy friendly to the US and which just happened to control the second largest reserve of oil in the world. The new Iraq would be smack in between Iran and Saudi Arabia acting as both a beacon of democracy and a buffer to keep Iranian mitts off of all those reserves.

As it appears now, Iranian influence grows by the hour and even the House of Saud is pissed at the Bush boys. What we are going to end up with is a bunch of Shi'a in Iraq, well-connected to Teheran, with their hand on the OFF valves of those oilfields.

Joe(look up Declining US Oil Production since 1988)Nation
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 08:44 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Brandon:

This is not about stealing oil, just making sure that the USA controls who controls the oil. The dream was that we would put in place a peaceful democracy friendly to the US and which just happened to control the second largest reserve of oil in the world. The new Iraq would be smack in between Iran and Saudi Arabia acting as both a beacon of democracy and a buffer to keep Iranian mitts off of all those reserves.

As it appears now, Iranian influence grows by the hour and even the House of Saud is pissed at the Bush boys. What we are going to end up with is a bunch of Shi'a in Iraq, well-connected to Teheran, with their hand on the OFF valves of those oilfields.

Can you provide any evidence whatever that our motivation for the invasion was connected with oil?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 08:47 am
Iran has released a third letter purportedly written by Faye Turney in which she says she has been "sacrificed due to the intervening policies of the Bush and Blair governments."

The third Faye Turney letter (full text)
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 08:56 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:
Brandon:

Can you provide any evidence whatever that our motivation for the invasion was connected with oil?

You know using Google is not that hard

http://www.ratical.org/ratville/CAH/RRiraqWar.html

Quote:
Summary

Although completely unreported by the U.S. media and government, the answer to the Iraq enigma is simple yet shocking -- it is in large part an oil currency war. One of the core reasons for this upcoming war is this administration's goal of preventing further Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) momentum towards the euro as an oil transaction currency standard. However, in order to pre-empt OPEC, they need to gain geo-strategic control of Iraq along with its 2nd largest proven oil reserves. The second coalescing factor that is driving the Iraq war is the quiet acknowledgement by respected oil geologists and possibly this administration is the impending phenomenon known as Global "Peak Oil." This is projected to occur around 2010, with Iraq and Saudi Arabia being the final two nations to reach peak oil production. The issue of Peak Oil has been added to the scope of this essay, along with the macroeconomics of `petrodollar recycling' and the unpublicized but genuine challenge to U.S. dollar hegemony from the euro as an alternative oil transaction currency. The author advocates graduated reform of the global monetary system including a dollar/euro currency `trading band' with reserve status parity, a dual OPEC oil transaction standard, and multilateral treaties via the UN regarding energy reform. Such reforms could potentially reduce future oil currency and oil warfare. The essay ends with a reflection and critique of current US economic and foreign policies. What happens in the 2004 US elections will have a large impact on the 21st century.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 11:08 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:
Brandon:

You know using Google is not that hard

http://www.ratical.org/ratville/CAH/RRiraqWar.html

Quote:
Summary

Although completely unreported by the U.S. media and government, the answer to the Iraq enigma is simple yet shocking -- it is in large part an oil currency war. One of the core reasons for this upcoming war is this administration's goal of preventing further Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) momentum towards the euro as an oil transaction currency standard. However, in order to pre-empt OPEC, they need to gain geo-strategic control of Iraq along with its 2nd largest proven oil reserves. The second coalescing factor that is driving the Iraq war is the quiet acknowledgement by respected oil geologists and possibly this administration is the impending phenomenon known as Global "Peak Oil." This is projected to occur around 2010, with Iraq and Saudi Arabia being the final two nations to reach peak oil production. The issue of Peak Oil has been added to the scope of this essay, along with the macroeconomics of `petrodollar recycling' and the unpublicized but genuine challenge to U.S. dollar hegemony from the euro as an alternative oil transaction currency. The author advocates graduated reform of the global monetary system including a dollar/euro currency `trading band' with reserve status parity, a dual OPEC oil transaction standard, and multilateral treaties via the UN regarding energy reform. Such reforms could potentially reduce future oil currency and oil warfare. The essay ends with a reflection and critique of current US economic and foreign policies. What happens in the 2004 US elections will have a large impact on the 21st century.

I asked for evidence, not another unsubstantiated opinion.

I could, for instance, allege that your motive in posting on A2K is to gain material for a book you're planning to write on abnormal psychology, but without a shred of evidence, such an allegation is worthless. I repeat, can anyone provide any evidence whatsoever that the invasion was motivated by oil related issues?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 11:25 am
...and in the meantime the oilprice is jumping AGAIN !
oil stocks that had been laggards these last few weeks have shown a nice uptick(actually down a bit this morning - they give a good indication how things are playing out , almost hour-by-hour ) .
no complaints from the "three sisters .
hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 11:34 am
if you are interested in learning how some of the oil profits are being invested , check out the link . big oil doesn't seem much disturbed by 15 british sailors being "detained" - it's business as usual .
hbg

link :
...HOW TO INVEST OIL PROFITS...
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 12:45 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
I repeat, can anyone provide any evidence whatsoever that the invasion was motivated by oil related issues?
Take a look at the link. As for your assertion that I am motivated by a desire to collect material for a book on abnormal psychology, well keep posting Brandon.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 12:56 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
I repeat, can anyone provide any evidence whatsoever that the invasion was motivated by oil related issues?
Take a look at the link. As for your assertion that I am motivated by a desire to collect material for a book on abnormal psychology, well keep posting Brandon.

I'm not going to search a Web site for 45 minutes trying to substantiate a claim that you, not I, made. Do you have one solitary, single particle of evidence that the invasion of Iraq, or our present occupation, is motivated by a desire for oil? Obviously, we'd have to be insane to want the Islamic militants to dominate the world's oil supply, but do you have one single fact that you can provide, of any type, that supports your contention that that's why we're there?
0 Replies