1950's hose and hairstyle

cyphercat

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 11:26 am
Can we see a picture of the dress by itself at least, even if you don't want to show you in it? Smile (I really love fifties fashions, is why I ask)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 11:46 am
It's actually not even a real vintage dress -- I bought it at the Gap about a year ago. There seems to be a major 50's fashion moment going on that I didn't fully realize until I went to Target to get the lipstick and hose.* Ballet flats, spike heels, full skirts (lots!), lace overlay pencil skirts, tight sweaters, capris/ leggings, shirtwaist dresses -- I could have easily assembled a perfectly passable 50's outfit from new clothes at Target.

Pictures were taken, not by us though, if I get one of myself that's not awful I'll post.

*That was all I ended up buying btw.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 11:50 am
...oh, and bobby pins. Usually I just put a stick through my bun or do a complicated thing with a hairband, with bunch of ends sticking out. This had to be a sleek bun, needed bobby pins, since I have a layered cut and there's no easy way to make it sleek.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 03:32 pm
sozobe wrote:
THERE! That's pretty much what I was calling a chignon -- I thought a chignon was a 50's thing but I'm not seeing much of it.

I don't know if I have the right cut for the top puffiness, but could be done I think..

soz, if you make a french twist, the hair on the crown of your head will automatically start to poof up.

When I do one, it's the #1 reason I have to drop my hair and start again. I like a little poof, but you actually have to pay attention and keep smoothing the crown into the hair as you "jelly roll" (my term) it in.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 03:34 pm
oops, sorry, didn't see the party was over...glad you had fun.

Yes, please take a picture!!

Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 06:00 pm
It was poofing, just not in the right place. (I was trying to get the poof closer to the hairline, it was poofing out towards the crown of my head, didn't look right. More 60's than 50's.)
0 Replies