1950's hose and hairstyle

Swimpy

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 02:49 pm
Nylons would still have had seams up the back. No pantyhose. Garter belt. I doubt you could find those things outside of redericks of Hollywood. I think a ponytail would be appropriate for you, Soz. I think you have a bit too much hair to make a beehive work, IMO.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 02:51 pm
By the 50's, I think they found a way to avoid the seams up the backs. I think so...
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 02:56 pm
I remember them, eoe. They were still around.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 02:59 pm
Really? Oh well. If push comes to shove Soz, you can do like the ladies did when nylons were in short demand during WWII. You can draw the line along your leg with an eyebrow pencil. Right Swimpy?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 02:59 pm
Soz' hair is longer though....

I'm still pondering - when I was in college - 59-64, we were as a whole a much dressier bunch than in the years since. I wore (low) high heels to class most days. A woman could wear slacks at UCLA, but it was forbidden at SMCC, our local junior college where I took Trigonometry and California History in summer session.

But the second half of the fifties going a bit into the sixties was also the time of coffee houses and beat poets, and you'd find more young women with long hair, with black clothes, a sort of beatnik look. So while there was the general look of all the photos shown so far, there was also a style stream of "cool, man"... and I'm faintly remembering a woman in a couple of my classes in 1959 that took the same bus I did; she wore dresses and skirts, had very long light brown hair tied in a long ponytail. She was a dance major...

What am I saying, short hair was certainly prevalent; but long, even longer than Veronica Lake, etc., did happen in certain arty circles. Well, that was around '59. Not sure about earlier...

You know who might know, is Merry Andrew.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 03:05 pm
You're right...beehives were more in the 60's.

garters? You should be able to find them at Victoria's Secret too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 03:06 pm
I remember them too, not sure quite what year pantyhose exploded on the market.. thinking late '50s. Or maybe not quite late 50's.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 03:09 pm
I don't remember the seamed ones with the high ankle thing... just seams going to somewhere lower on the ankle. Garter belts are hell by the way, er, if worn all the time to hold your nylons up. Talk about getting your knickers in a twist...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 03:10 pm
Pantyhose were closer to mid-60's. I remember starting out in garters and moving into pantyhose by junior high.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 04:46 pm
Up until recently I was watching some tv shows from the late fifties. Liked seeing how people looked. Didn't see many women with long hair that was worn down or loose. Nothing longer than shoulder length. Women with long hair wore it up in, dare I say it, buns.

Definitely high collars--Peter Pan collars. Pearls will be great. Button earrings would also be great. Red lipstick and nail polish.

Seamed stockings.

And whatever you do, remember, women then wore HATS and GLOVES. I'd say that most of the women on the shows came out wearing hats. Don't know where you'd be able to find the right kind. And many wore gloves--on the show. I remember women carrying gloves, two in one hand.

Top clip medium-sized purses--no shoulder bags.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 04:49 pm
As I "recall" (that's a joke): the forties were beatnik scary makeup and hair--almost as bad as the last decades' goths; the fifties were Toni Home Permanents (e.g. the daughter on Father Knows Best and Dale Rogers); the sixties were political staight long hair (sexy by my standards), after that it's all a blur. Let me read this thread and see something is jarred loose.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 04:54 pm
Faye Emerson, tv star of the late fifties. I remembered her bun.

http://www.bertinot.com/pictures/faye_emerson.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 04:57 pm
I've loved shoulder bags most of my life, probably in direct reaction to carrying around hand bags (handbags?) in my early days.

It's interesting, because in a way the fifties were almost as varied as the sixties, end to end, as can be seen a bit on Walter's link. Gloves, yep. I think I have more hats now than I did then, but my mother was Mrs. Hat.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 04:58 pm
Oooh, I think I could do that bun!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 04:58 pm
That would be a good look - sort of a bus sans the snood... Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 05:02 pm
Toni Home Permanents - didja know I was in one of those commercials? (my father was the director, I was an extra for the fun of it. My pay was a Toni doll.) that was in 1950. I didn't like the Toni doll very much. (Would that I would have kept it in its box unopened...)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 05:06 pm
Wow!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 05:16 pm
Eek, not a bus, a bun...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 06:27 pm
Here is an entire website dedicated to the 50's.

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/fashion/album/
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 06:33 pm
sozobe, having your hair up like Audrey Hepburn would look very good
on you.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/earnnoi/Audrey-Hepburn-2_resize.jpg
0 Replies