PRIVILEGE

snood

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 12:42 pm
...and some people have trouble trying to see things from another's perspective.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 12:42 pm
Respect, less fear and suspicion....
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 01:03 pm
While in Oakland there was a serial rapist about and he was described as dark wear a hooded sweat shirt. People including the women were going nuts of course.

I experienced black men crossing the street to avoid have to pass a white woman for fear of starteling or causing fear to the woman.

I tried an experiment - every time I saw a black male heading my way I gave them my best smile and said good morning or what ever. The postive responses where over whelming and I loved the looks I saw in the eyes of the regular men who were being condemed in the media because of the color of their skin.

The rapist was finally caught and not black.

In Texas, Calif, AZ, white bread folks are totally afraid of Mexican even though the rely on these folks for most labor in these states.

I think some people feel priviliged and they are afraid that different looking people will take away this non privilage of being white.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 01:24 pm
On suits in Latin America.
Ten years ago, when I was in my thirties, every time I went to the bank in my normal attire, I was treated by the clerks with "tĂș", the second person pronoun used when there confidence and equality. Every time I went to the bank wearing a suit, the clerks gave me the "usted", the second person pronoun used when there's not confidence or equality.
My father was a suit-adorer. He was very smart, and made his way to sales manager without a jr. high school diploma. He said the suit gave him, instead of the school documents, the respectability he needed to prove his capabilities.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 01:41 pm
husker wrote:
Almost everyday of my life is a social experiment in privilege, prejudice, and pride, all accentuated by my dress, appearance, and behavior, in contrast to my work and private position. I'm sure if I were dress the part I'd make an additional 20,000+ annually.

Man, you GOTTA give me the name of that tailor! Shoot, I could invest a cool grand into a suit, then just watch that extra 20 grand roll in every year! Where do I sign up? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 01:48 pm
Yeah, I'm with snood. I'm coming out of retirement for that extra 20 grand. Tailor's address, name, and telephone number will suffice. Wink
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 02:09 pm
When I go to a tradeshow, meet a customer, or do an interview I dress-up a little - otherwise I wear shorts, poloshirt, or a button down EVERYDAY, even in the winter, and sandals about 3-4 days a week. Heck in an office at a desk or at a board table they don't see your shorts!! Then I sometimes think about it and say "I'll dress to the T's and shoe'um" then I think "Screw'm", I used to work in a billion dollar business suit-tie everyday - no MORE! I'll let job performance speak for me.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 02:14 pm
still waiting for that 20G a year suit tailor, homey.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 02:19 pm
Korry's Clothiers, 569 Danforth Avenue, and it seems there is always a 50% off sale going on....I don't know if that means you will only net an extra $10 000, but it's worth a try.

www.korrys.com
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 02:27 pm
Laughing :wink:

<but I think husker was serious...>
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 03:09 pm
Starting @ $1,200
http://www.gregchapman.com/BS_chaulkstripe.jpg

Armani Collezioni $1,000
http://bluefly.speedera.net/zs.bluefly.com/mgen/Bluefly/prodImage.ms?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 03:19 pm
husker, Our older son owns Armani suits. I never owned one, and never will. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 03:21 pm
CI - truth is me neither.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 03:29 pm
I think the only way I would get an Armani suit is if I was armed and forcibly took many.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 03:31 pm
yer a funny man, husker. If I could afford one of those, I guess I'd be ambivalent about whether I'd want to bother about another 20grand a year, too.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 03:52 pm
Good point, snood. If I had that much wealth, enough to buy Armani suits, I doubt very much I'd be worried about another twenty grand in my (Armani) pocket. Laughing c.i.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 09:51 pm
hmmmmmm
nice suit.
i think i'll see if goodwill or value village has one in setanta's size.
t'would look nice with those nice t-shirts i just got him. :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 09:57 pm
They may well, Bethles - there are lots of designer recycle shops here - selling near new stuff.

Hmmm - maybe not so much men's stuff - it hardly changes from year to year, does it?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 09:58 pm
No way I can afford stuff like that - but I consider myself immensely, humungously, ridiculously, privileged.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 10:00 pm
okay, wabbit, tell us how you are "immensely, humungously, ridiculously, privileged." c.i. Wink
0 Replies