Thank you newsman, Captain Obvious

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 09:23 pm
Twice on the news tonight, and on the front page of boston.com, I am told by these genius newspeople some breaking news:

CHINESE FOOD IS BAD FOR YOU!

It has a lot of fat and sodium?!?!?!?!?!?! Now, if this actually news to you, allow me to smack you in the face. I'm glad we need studies for this kind of news.

Seriously, is this news to anyone? This reminds me of the Dateline "special" I watched alerting us consumers that if you don't fully cook your chicken, you can come down with salmonella poisoning...however even that was less obvious.

http://www.boston.com/ae/food/articles/2007/03/21/study_says_chinese_restaurant_food_is_loaded_with_calories_fat_and_sodium/?p1=MEWell_Pos4
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,078 • Replies: 20
No top replies

littlek

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 09:26 pm
Not surprising to me! Of course, it still depends greatly on what you order. Also, the carbs tend to be highly processed. I wonder how food is in China.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 09:51 pm
Un huh. Like, what do they have for breakfast.

Sorry, that joke is wearing kind of thin, but I just had to do it.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 09:51 pm
littlek wrote:
Not surprising to me! Of course, it still depends greatly on what you order. Also, the carbs tend to be highly processed. I wonder how food is in China.

Funny you should ask. My mother just got back from China and she said the two most popular places are KFC and Pizza Hut, lines are out the door. However, as a tourist she was served what we think of as Chinese food here in this country - stir fries in sweet sauces, gooey noodles, corn starch based soups, white rice and a lot of chicken with peanuts in more sweet sauce. My mom asked one of the servers if Chinese people ate like this and the woman answered "No, we call this "group food" and it is what we serve people from other countries."
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 09:58 pm
Greenwitch - pretty much as I'd have guessed!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 06:34 am
Slappy--

Remember, every year, early in April there is a big push in the media on Water Safety.

Every year--by mid-April, if not before--kids drown.

Classroom teachers deal either with eternity or futility. I'm not sure which.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 06:53 am
Well this morning, I heard on my local news that British scientists have recently conducted a study that shows that kids who are less active, and spend time on the couch instead of outside, get fat. Shocked You're KIDDING???!!!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 06:57 am
When we lived on the west coast where you could actually get authentic asian/chinese food, it was always good for a laugh to compare what was on our table to the asian customers' table. It was like you were eating at completely different restaurants. The native speakers order off an unseen menu and their food usually consists of lots of greens and high quality proteins prepared in unusual ways. The Americans get glop.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 07:02 am
since culinary glop is one of the only really strong exports we have left it seems only fitting that it return to us. Laughing
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 07:10 am
As others said it is not that Chinese food is bad for you - it is "American Chinese" food that is bad for you.

I have eaten frequently in China town and many of the dishes are very healthly. I used to date an Asian guy and we always ate the more authentic Asian dishes - I love veggies any way and these dishes are usually full of fresh veggies.

Chinese food is not crab ragoons, chicken wings, poo poo platters, etc. These are American dishes.

Also my college roommate was from Japan and she took me to an authentic Japanese restaurant. It was mostly fish, rice, seaweed and veggies - all very healthy. She told me that the Japanese steakhouses (those where they cook in front of you flipping stuff in the air, etc) in Japan are American restaurants.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 07:14 am
when you dated the asian guy.... did you always want more sex an hour after?

(old, no longer funny really.... but I couldn't resist....sorry Embarrassed )
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 07:22 am
Linkat wrote:
As others said it is not that Chinese food is bad for you - it is "American Chinese" food that is bad for you....

Chinese food is not crab ragoons, chicken wings, poo poo platters, etc. These are American dishes.

Linkat said "Poo Poo Platter." (snicker, snort)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 07:36 am
The #2 plate....
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 07:38 am
cjhsa wrote:
The #2 plate....

In American cuisine it is referred to as the chicago hot plate...only difference really is that the asian version contains more MSG.....
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 07:43 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
when you dated the asian guy.... did you always want more sex an hour after?

(old, no longer funny really.... but I couldn't resist....sorry Embarrassed )

He was only half Asian so it did take a little longer than that.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 07:44 am
squinney wrote:
Linkat wrote:
As others said it is not that Chinese food is bad for you - it is "American Chinese" food that is bad for you....

Linkat said "Poo Poo Platter." (snicker, snort)

Yeah you like that!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 08:35 am
Linkat wrote:
I love veggies any way and these dishes are usually full of fresh veggies...Chinese food is not crab ragoons, chicken wings, poo poo platters, etc. These are American dishes..

If you read the article, they point out even a plate of stir-fried veggies has something like 800-1000 calories.

When it's cooked in a ton of oil and soy sauce, it'll still have fat, and soy sauce is high in calories and sodium.

Steamed Chinese dishes are good....steamed chicken w/vegetables. Good stuff.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 08:36 am
So are steamed pork buns.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 10:51 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Linkat wrote:
I love veggies any way and these dishes are usually full of fresh veggies...Chinese food is not crab ragoons, chicken wings, poo poo platters, etc. These are American dishes..

If you read the article, they point out even a plate of stir-fried veggies has something like 800-1000 calories.

When it's cooked in a ton of oil and soy sauce, it'll still have fat, and soy sauce is high in calories and sodium.

Steamed Chinese dishes are good....steamed chicken w/vegetables. Good stuff.

I don't consider stir fry a Chinese dish either - maybe it is, anything fried whether stir or deep fried is bad for you.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 10:53 am
I've made home-made stir fry that had only a tablespoon of olive oil.

Just about any restaurant dish is gonna have loads of fat in it.

Had fettucini alfredo lately?
0 Replies