I'm going to read the Bible, and I'm going to post about it.

material girl

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 07:21 am
Cant wait til he gets to the bit about incest.

Im still waiting for the sequal to The Passion of the Christ film, he was reserrected at the end, wheres the sequal?
0 Replies

Cobbler

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 06:20 pm
So I was doing some more reading..

Cain has just killed Able. He's gone east to the land of Nod, and has met a wife.

"Cain knew his wife, and she conceived and bore Enoch; and he built a city, and called the name of the city after the name of his son, Enoch." - Genesis 4:17

That's cool.. but where did his wife come from? All that has been said thus far is that Eve had Cain and Able, Able died and Cain left.

A couple of chapters after that, God says this..

"Then the LORD said, "My spirit shall not abide in man for ever, for he is flesh, but his days shall be a hundred and twenty years." Genesis - 6:3

Man does not live to be above 120?

Jeanne Calment, born February 21, 1875 and died August 4, 1997 | 122 years old.

Just as one example..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, that's not really the point of the post. You see, later on in Chapter 6, it starts to talk about Noah and the Ark. We all know the story, but here are some verses of it anyway..

"Make yourself an ark of gopher wood; make rooms in the ark, and cover it inside and out with pitch. This is how you are to make it: the length of the ark three hundred cubits, its breadth fifty cubits, and its height thirty cubits. Make a roof for the ark, and finish it to a cubit above; and set the door of the ark in its side; make it with lower, second, and third decks.
For behold, I will bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh in which is the breath of life from under heaven; everything that is on the earth shall die. But I will establish my covenant with you; and you shall come into the ark, you, your sons, your wife, and your sons' wives with you. And of every living thing of all flesh, you shall bring two of every sort into the ark, to keep them alive with you; they shall be male and female.
Of the birds according to their kinds, and of the animals according to their kinds, of every creeping thing of the ground according to its kind, two of every sort shall come in to you, to keep them alive. Also take with you every sort of food that is eaten, and store it up; and it shall serve as food for you and for them." Noah did this; he did all that God commanded him." - Genesis 6:14-22

A cubit could be a number of lengths, but to be safe I'll use the largest one, which is 2.25 feet.

The length of the ark was to be 300 cubits, width 50 cubits, and height 30 cubits. Using the formula to find area ( Length x Width x Height ), it could be said that the area of the ark was about 450,000 cubits, which is 1,012,500 feet.

Now, Noah was supposed to take every kind of food and every kind of animal into the ark. There are over 6,000 species of reptiles, 9,000 birds, 1,000 amphibians, and 15,000 species of mammals. Forgetting the fact that some of those animals were big, like Elephants and whatnot, let's just average it out.. let's say every animal took up 4 square feet. If you were to take every one of those animals and their mate, it would equal to 250,000 square feet.

Assuming each pair of animals is going to eat/drink one square foot of nourishment everyday ( Of course birds won't, and of course elephants will eat more, but anyway. ) for all the days they are out there means that you would have to get all of the animals, which is approximately 31,000.. and each give them one square foot of food each day. This, assuming they were out there for 40 days, ( I know 40 days just meant "A long period of time.", but I need to work with numbers here. ) would mean that they would have had to started out with 1,240,000 square feet of food. Add that to the already 250,000 square feet of animals taking up space, and you have 1,490,000 square feet of "stuff."

That's 477,500 square feet more than the ark could handle.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 06:37 pm
George wrote:
You can probably afford to skip one or two.
The plan is for THE ENTIRE BIBLE to be reviewed here.

At my age, I'm afraid I won't make to Ephesians.

At my age, I won't invest in green bananas.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 06:45 pm
Cobbler wrote:
So I was doing some more reading..

Cain has just killed Able. He's gone east to the land of Nod, and has met a wife.

"Cain knew his wife, and she conceived and bore Enoch; and he built a city, and called the name of the city after the name of his son, Enoch." - Genesis 4:17

That's cool.. but where did his wife come from? All that has been said thus far is that Eve had Cain and Able, Able died and Cain left.

A couple of chapters after that, God says this..

"Then the LORD said, "My spirit shall not abide in man for ever, for he is flesh, but his days shall be a hundred and twenty years." Genesis - 6:3

Man does not live to be above 120?

Jeanne Calment, born February 21, 1875 and died August 4, 1997 | 122 years old.

Just as one example..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, that's not really the point of the post. You see, later on in Chapter 6, it starts to talk about Noah and the Ark. We all know the story, but here are some verses of it anyway..

"Make yourself an ark of gopher wood; make rooms in the ark, and cover it inside and out with pitch. This is how you are to make it: the length of the ark three hundred cubits, its breadth fifty cubits, and its height thirty cubits. Make a roof for the ark, and finish it to a cubit above; and set the door of the ark in its side; make it with lower, second, and third decks.
For behold, I will bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh in which is the breath of life from under heaven; everything that is on the earth shall die. But I will establish my covenant with you; and you shall come into the ark, you, your sons, your wife, and your sons' wives with you. And of every living thing of all flesh, you shall bring two of every sort into the ark, to keep them alive with you; they shall be male and female.
Of the birds according to their kinds, and of the animals according to their kinds, of every creeping thing of the ground according to its kind, two of every sort shall come in to you, to keep them alive. Also take with you every sort of food that is eaten, and store it up; and it shall serve as food for you and for them." Noah did this; he did all that God commanded him." - Genesis 6:14-22

A cubit could be a number of lengths, but to be safe I'll use the largest one, which is 2.25 feet.

The length of the ark was to be 300 cubits, width 50 cubits, and height 30 cubits. Using the formula to find area ( Length x Width x Height ), it could be said that the area of the ark was about 450,000 cubits, which is 1,012,500 feet.

Now, Noah was supposed to take every kind of food and every kind of animal into the ark. There are over 6,000 species of reptiles, 9,000 birds, 1,000 amphibians, and 15,000 species of mammals. Forgetting the fact that some of those animals were big, like Elephants and whatnot, let's just average it out.. let's say every animal took up 4 square feet. If you were to take every one of those animals and their mate, it would equal to 250,000 square feet.

Assuming each pair of animals is going to eat/drink one square foot of nourishment everyday ( Of course birds won't, and of course elephants will eat more, but anyway. ) for all the days they are out there means that you would have to get all of the animals, which is approximately 31,000.. and each give them one square foot of food each day. This, assuming they were out there for 40 days, ( I know 40 days just meant "A long period of time.", but I need to work with numbers here. ) would mean that they would have had to started out with 1,240,000 square feet of food. Add that to the already 250,000 square feet of animals taking up space, and you have 1,490,000 square feet of "stuff."

a} It should be obvious that Cain married his sister. That would not have been a problem since the human race then was reputedly much closer to perfection than it is now.

b} The 120 years most likely refers to the length of time God allowed for Noah to complete his assignment.

c} As for the square/cubic footage of the ark, who are we to say what would have been necessary? If Noah's efforts had been insufficient, and they may well have been, God would have simply provided what was lacking.
0 Replies

Cobbler

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 06:48 pm
neologist wrote:

a} It should be obvious that Cain married his sister. That would not have been a problem since the human race then was reputedly much closer to perfection than it is now.

b} The 120 years most likely refers to the length of time God allowed for Noah to complete his assignment.

c} As for the square/cubic footage of the ark, who are we to say what would have been necessary? If Noah's efforts had been insufficient, and they may well have been, God would have simply provided what was lacking.

A) Well it doesn't say Cain's sister followed him to Nod, but hey, maybe he did.

B) Ah, yea, you might be right.

C) God could also provide what is lacking in crippled people, but well, he doesn't. I think he should have just given Noah the right directions in the first place.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 06:51 pm
One can easily nitpick and natter over seeming inconsistencies in the scriptures. And there is a certain reward in doing so, namely the moral license one gains from ignoring God's laws.

The only problem is the net cost of the license.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 06:55 pm
Cobbler wrote:
neologist wrote:

A) Well it doesn't say Cain's sister followed him to Nod, but hey, maybe he did.

C) God could also provide what is lacking in crippled people, but well, he doesn't. I think he should have just given Noah the right directions in the first place.
I see you haven't gotten to the places in the Bible where God promises to restore all those who have suffered and to give all who died without knowing him the opportunity to live the life that Adam and Eve lost.

It is a promise that is sure to happen. It may seem to be delayed, but the reasons for that are also explained in the bible.
0 Replies

Cobbler

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 06:58 pm
neologist wrote:
Cobbler wrote:
neologist wrote:

I see you haven't gotten to the places in the Bible where God promises to restore all those who have suffered and to give all who died without knowing him the opportunity to live the life that Adam and Eve lost.

It is a promise that is sure to happen. It may seem to be delayed, but the reasons for that are also explained in the bible.

What's that got to do with giving someone the wrong directions?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 07:07 pm
Less to do with providing correction for any missed directions than with providing what is lacking in crippled people.
0 Replies

Shanster20

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 07:39 pm
a) Cain married his sister? Wasn't incest one of the reasons God flooded Soddom and Gommorah in the Old Testament?

b) owned.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 08:24 pm
Cobbler wrote:

Where does the Bible say that Noah took two of each 'species'?

It doesn't.
0 Replies

Cobbler

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 08:28 pm
real life wrote:

It doesn't.

Where did you learn to read?

"Then the LORD said to Noah, "Go into the ark, you and all your household, for I have seen that you are righteous before me in this generation. Take with you seven pairs of all clean animals, the male and his mate; and a pair of the animals that are not clean, the male and his mate." - Genesis 7:1-2

"And Noah did all that the LORD had commanded him." - Genesis 7:5

You didn't.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 08:33 pm
Cobbler wrote:
real life wrote:

It doesn't.

"Then the LORD said to Noah, "Go into the ark, you and all your household, for I have seen that you are righteous before me in this generation. Take with you seven pairs of all clean animals, the male and his mate; and a pair of the animals that are not clean, the male and his mate." - Genesis 7:1-2

You didn't.

I don't see the word 'species' in that verse, do you?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 08:38 pm
Hey.

David Plotz has been Blogging the Bible for about a year or so.

Blogging the Bible

Joe(It's hilarious)Nation
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 08:44 pm
real life wrote:
Cobbler wrote:
real life wrote:

It doesn't.

You didn't.

I don't see the word 'species' in that verse, do you?

So what's your point Real Life? If we are expected to take the story literally we would need to believe that Noah saved all varieties of life on earth by putting them in the ark. The flood covered the earth and thus drowned the rest. If Noah did not save all the species, how did they survive the flood?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 08:52 pm
and there's a bonus video from Temple Mount where he reads my favorite passage - the one plotting the conspiracy of the meek to occupy the world
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 08:55 pm
The concept of 'species' is a relatively modern one, and would have been unknown to the writer of the Bible.

The definition of 'species' is purely arbitrary. One critter is a different 'species' than another simply because we say it is.

In order to rescue all life on earth, it would not have been necessary to get one pair from each 'species'.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 09:00 pm
real life wrote:
The concept of 'species' is a relatively modern one, and would have been unknown to the writer of the Bible.

The definition of 'species' is purely arbitrary. One critter is a different 'species' than another simply because we say it is.

In order to rescue all life on earth, it would not have been necessary to get one pair from each 'species'.

I understand why the specific term "species" might not have been used, but Cobbler is still making a valid point. Based on the amount of critters/animals that would have existed in the world at the time (more than in today's world actually), the ark would not have physically been able to carry them based on the dimensions given. So how did they all survive a world under water?
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 09:58 pm
Cobbler wrote:
neologist wrote:

A) maybe, maybe not....

25: And Adam knew his wife again, and she bore a son and called his name Seth, for she said, "God has appointed for me another child instead of Abel, for Cain slew him."

Sounds like Seth was the third child. Cain was long gone. And there's the question of why god had to mark Cain. Who was going to kill him? Adam? Eve?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 10:37 pm
real life wrote:

As I understand it, species "b" is identified as a seperate species from species "a" by the fact that it can't produce offspring with species "a".

So yes, a mating pair (I'm being generous and not demanding a minimum sustainable population) of each species is required. If you want to insist that African elephants can't evolve into Indian elephants, you'll need a lot more still.
0 Replies