Can't Access a Website Now...

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 07:52 am
Not sure if this goes in computers or internet...but...

We recently moved a computer in our house. We have one that is the main hub connected to the internet modem and then the other that is wireless connected to the first one. After moving this second computer, we find that we are unable to get onto our banking website on ANY of the computers in our house. It's not the website becuase I can get on anywhere else (at work for instance). We tried adding the site as a safe site and redoing our security crap but that didn't work.

Any suggestions on reasons for this before we call our provider and spend hours trying to figure this thing out??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 761 • Replies: 11
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 09:15 am
I'm not following. You say you moved the wireless one? I would think it would move all the time, unless it isn't a laptop. See my point?

Do both systems have wireless connections? Are you sure that you aren't accidentially connecting to somebody else's WiFi?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 09:33 am
Yeah...my hubby has patches on the router for his game that still work...everything else is fine.

Except that one website.

And it's werid because the computer was wireless prior to the move but only AFTER the move did the website not work on all computers. Maybe it's totally unrelated. Confused
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 09:34 am
Simple test - most routers/firewalls have a "disable all rules" feature. Try that (temporarily).
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 09:42 am
Why would our firewall have changed?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 09:43 am
Who knows? Maybe it auto updates. Maybe that got triggered by something else you did.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 09:44 am
Hm.

Will try...I just hate calling tech support.

So any solutions that might work prior to being tied up by a techie are definitely worth trying.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 09:46 am
Go to a command prompt, type "ping www.yourbanksite.com."

See if it tries to ping. (Substitute you bank's website for the address above.)

Running XP? Try "ipconfig /flushdns" at the command prompt; it will remove any cached DNS entries that might be screwing things up.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 09:47 am
You won't need tech support to do that - it should be easy. One click to turn off all rules, one to apply. Test.

If that fixes the problem, you need to turn rules back on in bunches or one at a time to find the offending rule.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 10:56 am
Gawd I hope I didn't completely knock her offline!!! Laughing
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 11:45 am
DrewDad wrote:
Go to a command prompt, type "ping www.yourbanksite.com."

See if it tries to ping. (Substitute you bank's website for the address above.)

Running XP? Try "ipconfig /flushdns" at the command prompt; it will remove any cached DNS entries that might be screwing things up.

Tried this and it came up "timed out". ?

I haven't tried the firewall thing because I didn't have time at lunch...I am back at work now so I am not in front of my computer.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 01:35 pm
Try pinging a website that you can get to. That may not work either - ping (ICMP) is often blocked.
0 Replies