Boy I can be stupid ;-)

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 01:20 pm
Original post removed, twas stupid, I stand by the rest.

I'd poked some fun about this post: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=272916#272916

Dumb move, dumber responses though.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,560 • Replies: 127
No top replies

snood

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 01:24 pm
I doubt the character of someone who would devote this amount of time and energy to create a thread with the sole purpose of ridiculing. "It isn't meant meanly." In a pig's eye.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 01:27 pm
Snood,

Every day you doubt someone's character. I've gotten used to it. Incidentally posting on A2K takes a lot less of my time and energy than it must for you.

I clearly said it's meant to be an offense at the brainfairt, not an offense to george (though he is certainly free to interpret it that way).

People make mistakes and others call them on it.

You seem to be trying to call me on one and yet you don't entertain the notion that you might be mean.

Again, the beam dammit!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 01:44 pm
And BTW, if I ever exhibit sheer stupidity in my arguments I URGE you to call me on it.

Anything else would be very mean.
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 02:33 pm
Well, well george.

While the intricate patterns of microscopic quantum electrodynamics and macroscopic gravity do inspire in me a strong religious awe, and do motivate me to lead a so-called spiritual way of life -- see 'the meaning of life'-thread -- they're no proof for a deistic cosmology.

Georgeob1 is a funny character: science claims global warming is real and dangerous, yet he refuses to believe it. Modern physics he then uses to leap to theological conclusions.

I'm sure he'll find a slippery argument out of that contradiction.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 02:37 pm
Yes, Craven, I believe both Snood and I have been called on "meanness" or some such synonym in the middle of other threads. The difference is in your actually posting a New Topic to do this ... Now, I could see the humor in your thread about being God, as well as a lot of sychophantic crap, in some of the responses; however, this one really is plain old mean. Come on, Craven, it won't hurt to just admit it.

Please at least try to see how starting a completely new thread is different from being testy in an already-posted thread, ok?

Thank you for taking this in the spirit in which I have posted it; ie trying to be helpful, not hurtful, okay?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 02:37 pm
wolf,

I haven't seen george be funny (except for once when he accused me of logorrhea in one of the funniest comebacks ever).

I have seen george be very intelligent. And my intention is to poke fun at this particular slip up of his, not him.

I happen to think he was spot on with you. Science claims global warming is real but science is divided on whether the cause is human.

George is absolutely right to have reservations about your theories.

In short I can't offer you any sympathy, I disagree with your CIA conspiracy theories, your claims on Aliens and some to most of your claims about global warming.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 03:10 pm
sweetcomplication,

This is not humor about god. It's humor about a brainfart.

And to some extent noting a brainfart can be mean. I posted this in a new topic because george is busy trying to assert anoteher outlandish claim on his topic and the people who are participating have asked more than a few times to stay on topic.

I'm more than willing to admit that it would be nicer to simply have a laugh and keep it to myself but I chose not to. And I stand by it.

People here have very duplicitous morals, they question the character of those who they disagree with and laud the same actions when it comes from one they empathyze with.

Snood tried to question my character elsehwre for not using PMs for criticism yet a day or two later he decides that that is a moral rule that does not apply to him.

People of one political affiliation rant and rave when a snide comment is directed at someone with a closely aligned political affiliation yet cheer when something snide (read witty) is used against their political opponent.

So the world is unfair and all is ill.

While you seem to take it as the absolute truth that I was mean and that I should own up to it you fail to consider that our moral compass might be far different.

I'm not out to "get" george, he is one of the smartest people here and despite our differing beliefs I'd rather talk to him than many who think like me.

I am making fun of something he said that, to be perfectly honest, I think was very dumb. This does not mean he is dumb. I say dumb things all the time and expect to be called on it.

Now where this leads is the fine line of what you should be able to think is stupid and what you should do about it.

Was george mean when he poked fun at wolf along the lines of being an alien?

You seem to make a great deal of fuss about the new topic versus using the one it happened at.

I recognize that internet manners differentiates between something in a topic versus on a topic but I disagree in this case. I did not wish to digress too much on his thread. I have no intention of insulting george. He has done me no wrong. I have every intention of having fun with some fun to play with logic.

And if you think it's mean and I don't we'll have to differ. Just like in every other case where one person thinks someone is mean and others disagree. People like to be convenient with their morals and like to question character for things they forgive themselves for.

snood questioned my character here, a day or two ago he questioned it for not using PM to do so. There is obviously a great deal of difference in what is considered mean or not.

Everytime the logic of theism is taken lightly some theists cry foul. I have had my character questioned for the thread in whihc I play god. It is supposed to be mean and blasphemous. Others think a thread in which one asserts that there is a god and that we who do not believe in a god will burn for eternity.

Bottom line is we will continue to differ on what is and is not mean. I'd think it mean for my brainfarts to be ignored. I'd rather hear about them in no uncertain terms.

I make no case that I am polite or humble. I am an arrogant ass. But I do take issue with the "mean" label. Saying that george's logic was daft may not be polite but then again very time you disagree with someone it can be construed as impolite.

I do my best to avoid unecessarily insulting people, I don't call them names. I do take issue with arguments I disagree with. And I try my best not to be sensitive about my arguments. Simply put, if disagreement with ratiocination you find intellectually bankrupt is rude then where does it end.

If I say that I believe in god and someone else says they don't is that mean? Are they saying I hold fallacious beliefs and am a fool?

This is like the ole, "are you calling me a liar?" trick. I reserve the right to say something is untrue without necessarily stooping to calling him a liar. If we get too sensitive about thinsg then any disagreement about tightly held beliefs is mean. Then george saying I should read up on an unrelated subject and saying my beliefs is increasingly indefensible is mean.

I disagree. I can be rude, I can be an ass, but I try not to be mean. Tere are things I could do to avoid the accusation of being mean but some of them I'm not interested in. If I wanted to avoid ever being interpreted as mean I'd not even be able to criticize public figures. A few members here have equated criticism of Bush with personal insult. Does that mean everyone who has criticized Bush here has been mean?

Come on, I think the arguments george gave were daft. Daft beyond belief. I do not think george is daft at all. I think he's a smart guy who has done me no wrong.

If the logic is daft I will say so, I am sorry that it is not positive. But avoiding negative opinions is not something you are going to convince me to adopt.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 03:19 pm
Just thought of another angle.

I have long maintained that meaness is as meaness is perceived. If most think it's mean that is the most relevant fact, intention becomes secondary.

So, if anyone thinks it's mean, I apologize. I maintain my opinion of the arguments and maintain that my intention was not to be mean

But wanna know sumthin'? snood questioned that, he almost called me a liar! Whoa! That be soooo mean!!! Glad I have thick skin. :-)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 04:02 pm
"Even Kant would recant now."

I wish I had had cause to say that.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 04:04 pm
Pod.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 04:07 pm
Um, Deb is telling me that I'm not mean, I'm just stupid. :-)

"Nah, you look fine, you just need a nose job"
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 04:09 pm
"I am an arrogant ass"

...just goes to prove, no matter what else, you and I can still find something to agree on.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 04:09 pm
NO! Not stupid at all!!!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 04:10 pm
Goodness me - that is an accusation I would never throw at you Craven!

Just differently sensitived.

Thing is, Craven would find it absolutely hilarious if somebody opened a thread like this on anything he said that made no sense - he is most rigorous and nondefensive about his arguments.

If somebody opened a thread like this about one of my brainfarts, I would cry...come to think of it, someone opened a whole thread saying that I was evil...(well, that wimmin were, and using me as an example)....hmmmmm

I am a registered wuss, and proud of it!
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 04:12 pm
You're not mean Craven Very Happy

He said something stupid that turned out to be hilarious, so if you wanna make a joke about it then it's ok, you made a mistake, pay for it, it's not being mean.

Btw, I had an incredible laugh with this thread, thanx Craven.

George, we all say stupid things from time to time, so don't worry, I even said really stupid things quite often. :wink:
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 04:13 pm
Well, I hate to come to a party late, and with bad news to boot, but ...

I thought it was one hell of a nasty thing to do, Craven, and I accept your apology.

I also have some observations that I hope you can accept:

Both georgeob1 and snood can be more than a little obnoxious, and I feel certain they are aware of that talent. Candidly, I always thought I was capable of setting the snark bar higher than anyone.

Until I encountered you.

One of the differences between you and all the rest of us here is that, intellectually, we're all little birthday candles and you are the lighthouse searchlight. I don't have any problem with that except that you keep reminding us every chance you get.

The other difference between us is likewise apparent: NOBODY ELSE would dare open a thread here mocking another's member's intelligence. And thank goodness. How Abuzz-ish that would be.

Again, with all candor, I must say that I find what has been posted here to be extraordinarily condescending, especially so since it comes from the creator and moderator of the forum itself. Creator, moderator, and opiner (make that, 'ridiculer') just strikes me as a bad combination.

It's sort of like God butting in to your life every now and then and telling you you're an idiot.

(You'd like to tell Him to **** off, but you enjoy living in His world a bit too much to say so to his face... :wink: )

And one last thing (before I am vaporized): I find myself in disbelief that I am taking up for georgeob1...does the fact I'm doing so make me any better in your view?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 04:14 pm
Snood,

You say that to me all the time yet chide me for being mean when I do far less.

I know I'm an arrogant ass. I have many faults. But how can you reconcile equating one to an arrogant ass to carping some shoddy arguments?

Again, the beam.

but don't let that stop you, like I said, when I am wrong I EXPECT to be called on it. I might not agree with you but don't let that stop ya.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 04:15 pm
I have never claimed george is obnoxious! Damn I wish people would quit reading their thoughts into my writing.

George has been nothing but civil. Now to read the rest of your post.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 04:21 pm
Jeez

I wonder what Snood would have said to Craven if he knew several of the remarks George made were directed to me???
0 Replies