Homosexuality v. Christianity -- A FEW QUESTIONS:

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 09:52 am
Sofia wrote:
True.

I'm beginning to understand Frank's point about cherry-pickin' our druthers re: the Bible.

Sofia

I didn't read this until after I posted my last response to you.

Perhaps you do see what I'm talking about.

I certainly do not want to put reasonable Christians in a box here, but perhaps rejecting the god of the Bible on this issue should ring an alarm bell in their heads about all the other stuff also.

Perhaps the Bible has some good information for humans on how to live a decent life -- AND IT IS FICTION when it comes to any informtion supposedly gotten from a god.

Whatta ya think?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 09:56 am
Sweetcomplication

Au wrote:

[Frank
Location, location. How can we who sit fat, dumb, happy and secure in the US hope to understand how it feels?...[/quote]...

and you immediately responded...

sweetcomplication wrote:
au: sit back and wait for the slings & arrows; happened to me on another thread...BTW, thank you for your bravery Cool

If that was directed at me, I honestly do not know where it is coming from. I do not remember ever giving you a hard time on anything -- and I have not been engaging in "slings and arrows" kinds of things on A2K.

Did I miss something?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 10:35 am
I don't think sweet meant you had been having at her, Frank, I figure she was just making a general observation on the hazards of posting a statement at odds with current consensus opinions. Dunno why she'd think those hazards remarkable ... happens to me all the time Rolling Eyes.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 10:43 am
Timber
And also the best kind of response it makes the juices of discourse flow.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 10:53 am
Frank, good heavens, not you; in fact, never you! Someone here (a female, at least someone posing as) has attacked me relentlessly and also gotten her/his friends to do so as well - it's been terrible to be such a target; trauma-inducing actually; especially when I have sent PMs requesting forgiveness (absolution apparently denied by such a "Christian") to its PM address only to be rewarded by angry, vicious, long diatribes of attack. There is a difference, au, between getting the juices going and simply trying to suck the juices out of someone, ie me.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 11:04 am
Frank, I became so concerned over what you might have referred to when you thought I might have been referring to you that I went back several pages to find this, as posted by au:

"Frank
Location, location. How can we who sit fat, dumb, happy and secure in the US hope to understand how it feels? To be in danger of being blown to bits every time we venture out. To be called to do battle on a continuing basis and also to have spent years battling the same enemy.
Taking all those factors in consideration would you have a kind word for that enemy or perhaps would you feel the same way as Steissd
As the saying goes walk a mile in my shoes"

My quote to au did indeed come directly thereafter; however, it in no way referred to you even though you were in fact the person au had addressed.

My quote (as repeated by you above) referred to what happened to me on at least 2 other threads where, upon speaking up on behalf of my very own strongly and passionately held beliefs and core values, that other woman (or man, who knows?) began a relentless, almost never-ending, most brutal form of spamming me at every turn. I tell you it nearly succeeded in driving me away from A2K altogether until I began receiving many PM's of incredibly supportive comments (thank you to all!) who gave me the strength to live, to stay and fight another day ...

So, Frank, we okay now?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 11:29 am
We're okay, Sweet. I was just a bit confused.

Ain't no way I want confrontation with someone using an avatar like yours!!!!
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 11:30 am
Well, Frankie, I suppose that depends on the definition of "confrontation", now, doesn't it? :wink:
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 11:34 am
au1929 wrote:
Frank
Location, location. How can we who sit fat, dumb, happy and secure in the US hope to understand how it feels? To be in danger of being blown to bits every time we venture out. To be called to do battle on a continuing basis and also to have spent years battling the same enemy.
Taking all those factors in consideration would you have a kind word for that enemy or perhaps would you feel the same way as Steissd
As the saying goes walk a mile in my shoes.

That is precisedly my point, Au.

If I were an Israeli -- living in Isreael, I might very well consider every Arab an enemy. I might consider every Palestinian a Terrorist -- and every Islamic -- a threat.

I might actually hate all Arabs; all Palestinians; all Islamics.

But if I were a Palestinian living in the occupied areas, I might very well consider every Israeli an enemy -- and every Jew a threat. And I might consider Israel to be a terrorist state.

I might actually hate all Jews and Isrealis.

But I would be a fool in either case.

I stand by my comments about the obvious bigotry in many of Steissd's statements -- and I think my observations are appropriate.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 11:36 am
sweetcomplication wrote:
Well, Frankie, I suppose that depends on the definition of "confrontation", now, doesn't it? :wink:

WHEW!!!!

It is getting hot in here.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 12:11 pm
Well, some folks is gettin' a bit heated ... dunno if that's altogether cool, to mix a metaphore. Sometimes its all too easy to fan flames, even when the object is to quench the fire. C'mon, kids ... its all just electrons and pixels. This ain't the place for squabbles, no matter their foundation or lack thereof.

Now flirting ... that's a different thing entirely. Bring it on ..... Twisted Evil
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 12:15 pm
Why timberlandko, what a large beak you have...Very Happy
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 12:17 pm
I shoulda known ... I s'pose Guatam and blatham will be along shortly Laughing
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 12:20 pm
Timber, is inter-species flirting okay? I'd like a bit o' tail, please; and that clown, oh, my, may I squeeze your horn?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 12:30 pm
Frank said--

Perhaps the Bible has some good information for humans on how to live a decent life -- AND IT IS FICTION when it comes to any informtion supposedly gotten from a god.

Whatta ya think?
------------------
I believe the Bible is inspired by God. I think its a mish-mash of a bunch of different stuff. I do pick out what I feel is important to me--and that's a small portion.
It doesn't bother me that many people discount the whole book--that many people don't believe in God or Christ...
Why does what I believe seem to bother you?
Not meant to be any negative thing--but I am curious.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 12:43 pm
Sofia wrote:
It doesn't bother me that many people discount the whole book--that many people don't believe in God or Christ...
Why does what I believe seem to bother you?
Not meant to be any negative thing--but I am curious.

Doesn't bother me at all, Sofia.

I'm just having my say.

And when I see inconsistencies (I don't see any inconsistencies in what you just said) I mention them.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 12:49 pm
Frank-- I think we probably have more in common than not--

I checked out your profile, and it says something about being an Agnostic Activist. I am assuming your primary interest in your activism is to break down the barriers that cause so much divisiveness. (But that is just an assumption.) You seem to be doing that from the outside, and I have been trying to do that from the inside.

If I am wrong about your motivation for Agnostic Activism, I'd love to hear why you consider it an important thing to do. You are a fascinating guy, to me.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 12:58 pm
I do recall many discussions about the word "know". I remember your arguements that 1) Nobody 'knows' and 2) If #1 is true, we should all be agnostics.

Is that pretty much it?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 02:46 pm
I think most religious writings have plenty of good lessons for people, and some great bubbe maisses as well. I also think that a really thought-provoking film, book or documentary can accomplish the same things. Heck, for me, a well-written comic book or cartoon can do that. It's only when the bible gets held up as the word of some god that I am bothered.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 02:49 pm
Ahhhhh, a Yiddish clown - may I squeeze your horn anyway, please?
0 Replies