PET FOOD ALERT

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 05:07 am
I just heard on NPR about deaths of dogs apparently linked to pet foods under the "Cuts and Gravy" brand. The food has been linked to acute kidney failure in a number of pets in the US and Canda. I hope someone can find oput more because so many pet food companies can or bag their products under many different labels. Ill do a search about cuts and gravy, but , just beware for now.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 11,768 • Replies: 187
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 05:22 am
Found a web site that mentions the recall but in a context of an investment strategy (Unless Im reading this wrong)MENU FOODS
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 05:57 am
Maybe I am a little behind on times, but I just learned the other day that most animal foods ( for cats and dogs) have sick animal parts in them

The animals that are not well enough for HUMAN consumption, are given to our pets as meal.

Animals with tumors, diseases, growth defects...

showered with antibiotic ( sometimes.. because FDA doesnt require that with animal foods) and packaged and given to our dogs and cats.

Essentially.. you might as well be feeding your dog a tumor for breakfast and your cat a disease for lunch.

Im sad to say that this article has come of no shock to me.

Im hoping that it starts some better regulations for our furry friends foods.
Why should they eat the trash animals we dont?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 06:04 am
One of the labels that may be affected is IAMS, which we use. Its a CAnadian Company with plants in NEW JERSEY (oy) and Kansas.

I would be very concerned about the New Jersey recipes
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 06:08 am
I know for a fact that IAMS has a hand in NutroMax 's ingredience..

so NutroMax is another to avoid
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 06:08 am
isnt IAMS under the Purina label?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 06:15 am
apparently, a number of companies use "Toll manufacturers" to make their products. Although the term(toll manufacturer) is mostly used in the chemical industry, it has foods and flavors and fragrances included. Apparently the Menu Foods companies make pet foods for many other brands. All the Toll manufacturer is given is a recipe and a contract.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 08:17 am
Pet Deaths Prompt Recall of Pet Food
Pet Deaths Prompt Recall of Pet Food
By ANDREW BRIDGES, AP

WASHINGTON (March 17) - A major manufacturer of dog and cat food sold under Wal-Mart, Safeway, Kroger and other store brands recalled 60 million containers of wet pet food Friday after reports of kidney failure and deaths.

An unknown number of cats and dogs suffered kidney failure and about 10 died after eating the affected pet food, Menu Foods said in announcing the North American recall. Product testing has not revealed a link explaining the reported cases of illness and death, the company said.

"At this juncture, we're not 100 percent sure what's happened," said Paul Henderson, the company's president and chief executive officer. However, the recalled products were made using wheat gluten purchased from a new supplier, since dropped for another source, spokeswoman Sarah Tuite said. Wheat gluten is a source of protein.

The recall covers the company's "cuts and gravy" style food, which consists of chunks of meat in gravy, sold in cans and small foil pouches between Dec. 3 and March 6 throughout the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

The pet food was sold by stores operated by the Kroger Company, Safeway Inc., Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and PetSmart Inc., among others, Henderson said.

Menu Foods said a full list of brand names and lot numbers covered by the recall would be posted on its Web site - www.menufoods.com/recall - early Saturday.

The company said it manufacturers for 17 of the top 20 North American retailers. It is also a contract manufacturer for the top branded pet food companies, including Procter & Gamble Co.

P&G announced Friday the recall of specific 3 oz., 5.5 oz., 6 oz. and 13.2 oz. canned and 3 oz. and 5.3 oz. foil pouch cat and dog wet food products made by Menu Foods but sold under the Iams and Eukanuba brands.

Menu Foods' three U.S. and one Canadian factory produce more than 1 billion containers of wet pet food a year. The recall covers pet food made at company plants in Emporia, Kansas, and Pennsauken, New Jersey, Henderson said.

Henderson said the company received an undisclosed number of owner complaints of vomiting and kidney failure in dogs and cats after they had been fed its products. It has tested its products but not found a cause for the sickness.

"To date, the tests have not indicated any problems with the product," Henderson said.

The company alerted the Food and Drug Administration, which already has inspectors in one of the two plants, Henderson said. The FDA was working to nail down brand names covered by the recall, agency spokesman Mike Herndon said.

Menu Foods is majority owned by the Menu Foods Income Fund, based in Ontario, Canada.

Henderson said the recall would cost the company the Canadian equivalent of $26 million to $34 million.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 08:21 am
Just got an email about this. Not impressed.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 08:22 am
Recalled Dog Product Information
Recalled Dog Product Information
Recall Information 1-866-895-2708

Americas Choice, Preferred Pets
Authority
Award
Best Choice
Big Bet
Big Red
Bloom
Bruiser
Cadillac
Companion
Demoulas Market Basket
Fine Feline Cat, Shep Dog
Food Lion
Giant Companion
Great Choice
Hannaford
Hill Country Fare
Hy-Vee
Key Food
Laura Lynn
Loving Meals
Main Choice
Mixables
Nutriplan
Nutro Max
Nutro Natural Choice
Nutro
Ol'Roy
Paws
Pet Essentials
Pet Pride
Presidents Choice
Price Chopper
Priority
Publix
Roche Bros
Save-A-Lot
Schnucks
Springsfield Pride
Sprout
Stater Bros
Total Pet, My True Friend
Western Family
White Rose
Winn Dixie
Your Pet

Recalled Cat Product Information
Recall Information 1-866-895-2708

Americas Choice, Preferred Pets
Authority
Best Choice
Companion
Compliments
Demoulas Market Basket
Fine Feline Cat, Shep Dog
Food Lion
Foodtown
Giant Companion
Good n Meaty
Hannaford
Hill Country Fare
Hy-Vee
Key Food
Laura Lynn
Li'l Red
Loving Meals
Main Choice
Nutriplan
Nutro Max Gourmet Classics
Nutro Natural Choice
Paws
Presidents Choice
Price Chopper
Priority
Save-A-Lot
Schnucks
Sophistacat
Special Kitty
Springfield Pride
Sprout
Total Pet, My True Friend
Wegmans
Western Family
White Rose
Winn Dixie
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 08:25 am
the master recall list for dog food

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html

~~~~~~~~

thanks for posting about this, farmerman. I heard something about it just as I was falling asleep last night - and I couldn't recall it quite right when I woke up.

~~~~~~~~

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/03/17/ap3525999.html

<I>

Quote:
The recall covers the company's "cuts and gravy" style food, which consists of chunks of meat in gravy, sold in cans and small foil pouches between Dec. 3 and March 6.

The pet food was sold by stores operated by the Kroger Co., Safeway Inc., Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and PetSmart Inc., among others, Henderson said.

P&G announced Friday the recall of specific 3 oz., 5.5 oz., 6 oz. and 13.2 oz. canned and 3 oz. and 5.3 oz. foil pouch cat and dog wet food products made by Menu Foods but sold under the Iams and Eukanuba brands. The recalled products bear the code dates of 6339 through 7073 followed by the plant code 4197, P&G said.

Menu Foods' three U.S. and one Canadian factory produce more than 1 billion containers of wet pet food a year. The recall covers pet food made at company plants in Emporia, Kan., and Pennsauken, N.J., Henderson said.

The company alerted the Food and Drug Administration, which already has inspectors in one of the two plants, Henderson said.

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~

so if you've got any wet pet food in the house - check it or simply toss it
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 08:35 am
Quote:
specific 3 oz., 5.5 oz., 6 oz. and 13.2 oz. canned and 3 oz. and 5.3 oz. foil pouch "wet" cat and dog food products manufactured by Menu Foods Inc. Emporia, Kansas plant with the code dates of 6339 through 7073 followed by the plant code 4197. This voluntary recall is part of a larger product recall by Menu Foods Inc., a contract manufacturer that makes a small portion of canned and foil pouch 'wet' cat foods for Iams and Eukanuba as well as other non-P&G brands.

Quote:
To read can product codes, refer to the bottom of the can. The first four numbers of the second line of numbers are the date code, and the following four numbers indicate the plant code. For example, if the second line begins with four numbers from 6339 to 7073 followed by the plant code 4197, then the can should be recalled. For foil pouches, the code numbers are located at the lower left hand corner on the back of the pouch. The date and plant codes appear in the third group of numbers, beginning an 11-digit sequence.

http://www.emaxhealth.com/116/10272.html
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 08:37 am
Wowsa..... been a flurry of emails already.......
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 10:50 pm
Pet food recall has owners frantic in US
March 18, 2007 - 8:49AM/SMH

Pet owners are worried that the pet food in their cupboard may be deadly after millions of containers of dog and cat food sold at major retailers across North America were recalled.

Menu Foods, the Ontario-based company that produced the pet food, said on Saturday it was recalling dog food sold under 48 brands and cat food sold under 40 brands including Iams, Nutro and Eukanuba. The food was distributed throughout the United States, Canada and Mexico by major retailers such as Wal-Mart, Kroger and Safeway.

An unknown number of cats and dogs had suffered kidney failure and about 10 died after eating the affected pet food, the company said.

Many stores that sold the affected brands frantically pulled packages off shelves.

At a Petsmart store in Union, Silviene Grzybowski became worried when the four types of Iams products she buys for her cat, Smokey, had vanished from shelves. The cat was very sick and had not been eating for days, she said.

"The vet told us to buy her favorite food, but I'm going to call the vet right now," Grzybowski said, looking at an announcement Petsmart had taped to shelves announcing the recall.

A complete list of the recalled products along with product codes, descriptions and production dates was available from the Menu Foods Web site, http://www.menufoods.com/recall.

Menu Foods' chief executive and president Paul Henderson told the Associated Press on Friday that the company was still trying to figure out what happened.

He said that the company had received an undisclosed number of owner complaints that dogs and cats were vomiting and suffering kidney failure after eating its products.

The recall covers the company's "cuts and gravy" style food, which consists of chunks of meat in gravy, sold in cans and small foil pouches from December 3 to March 6.

In Omaha, Nebraska, Susan Balvanz said she sometimes fed her five cats packets of sliced meat and gravy sold by Nutro Products, one of the brands affected.

"I've done so much research on pet food. It didn't surprise me, but it scared me all the same," said Balvanz.

She said her 9-year-old cat, Boots, was especially fond of the food but seemed to have lost its appetite in the last few days.

At the Missouri Valley Veterinary Clinic in Bismarck, North Dakota, veterinarian Jacob Carlson has been referring worried pet owners to the Menu Foods web site.

"We've had a lot of calls," Carlson said, although none of his patients were sick.

The company makes pet food for 17 of the top 20 North American retailers. It is also a contract manufacturer for the top branded pet food companies, including Procter & Gamble Co.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Pet-food-recall-has-owners-frantic-in-US/2007/03/18/1174152858096.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 12:26 am
Well, Pacco gets a dish of one of those brands, but not wet stuff, only kibble. Sounds like that's ok..

Yikes, what a mess.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 01:13 am
What about these dry foods?

Kirkland Signature Super Premium Lamb and Rice Adult Dog Formula
Kirkland Signature Super Premium Maintenance Formula For Cats
President's Choice Finicky Cat Adult Cat Food
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 01:38 am
Chum, http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/03/17/national/main2581322.shtml?source=mostpop_story
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 04:17 am
Looks like I'm in the clear, thanks!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 06:18 am
I was wrong about our dog foods (Mrs F does all the dog food shopping Embarrassed ) It appears that we use Science Diest and she gets it in 40 lb bags that we fill a plastic tub from which I scoop. We mix it with a wet half can of (also) science diet for flavoring (then I put my magic ingredient -garlic powder) in their dishes and they just hoover it.

She gets the cats Fancy feast and that is not on the list.

I wonder what it was that got into the food mix that was doing in the animals kidneys?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 01:59 pm
I just switched Gracie from Pedigree to Purina One "Senior Protection."

Neither appears to be on the list, but Gracie was greatly offended by the new designation.

Hoping this was caught in time to stop any more deaths. Crying or Very sad

Farmer - Is the garlic just cause you love 'em or for another reason? We used to give our pup in college a garlic pill to ward off ticks and fleas. Didn't seem to help much.
0 Replies