PET FOOD ALERT

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 09:36 am
littlek wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Oh and we've noticed a HUGE decrease in poo since she was taken off the Hills. Where as she was pooing 2-3 times a day, now she goes once, maybe twice if she gets treats. And the piles are much smaller. Proof to me that the food she is on now provides much better nutrition than the Hills.

Couldn't it also mean that she's simply getting less fiber?

Well, considering grains are a source of fiber and would make her poo more, sure it could be a reason for her not going as much.

But the why would the piles be smaller? The only reason they would be smaller in size is that there is less waste from her food. And she isn't constipated at all. She poos pretty easily. No straining from what I see, and the poo is a (gross) good consistancy.

I just know that it makes sense; less fillers, better food. More fillers, less nutrition.

Name brands mean nothing to me. Hill's, Euka and Iams have all made a name for themselves as "premium" dog foods but if you compare ingredients with other "premium" less well known dog foods, you'll see that SD, Iams and Euka use much cheaper ingredients . There are worse foods than those three, I know. But they aren't the best as many people are lead to believe.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 09:39 am
And I don't want you to think that I am saying you are feeding your dog crap...I just want people to know that there are better foods out there for the price you pay. Just trying to share what I've been forced to learn over the last year.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 09:54 am
bELLA--tHANKS FOR THE AFLATOXIN link. We do testing of our high moisture corn and hays for aspergillus and we spot check the sheep for any symptoms.
It makes perfect sense, since much of the pet foods are cereal grains and thats where the aspegillus hides.

PS, my wife selects cat foods that are lowest in ASH content, then everything else. Also for the doggies, we use a Science Diet "Light" during the winter when they arent as active.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 11:14 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Oh and we've noticed a HUGE decrease in poo since she was taken off the Hills. Where as she was pooing 2-3 times a day, now she goes once, maybe twice if she gets treats. And the piles are much smaller. Proof to me that the food she is on now provides much better nutrition than the Hills.

My dog is on Hills Science ( maintance) and does not have giants stools, because the dry food is not real high in fiber.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 11:44 am
My dog has giant ones anyway (she's 65lbs) but it's much less now than it was before.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 09:03 pm
Re: Recalled Dog Product Information
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Recalled Dog Product Information
Recall Information 1-866-895-2708

Americas Choice, Preferred Pets
Authority
Award
Best Choice
Big Bet
Big Red
Bloom
Bruiser
Cadillac
Companion
Demoulas Market Basket
Fine Feline Cat, Shep Dog
Food Lion
Giant Companion
Great Choice
Hannaford
Hill Country Fare
Hy-Vee
Key Food
Laura Lynn
Loving Meals
Main Choice
Mixables
Nutriplan
Nutro Max
Nutro Natural Choice
Nutro
Ol'Roy
Paws
Pet Essentials
Pet Pride
Presidents Choice
Price Chopper
Priority
Publix
Roche Bros
Save-A-Lot
Schnucks
Springsfield Pride
Sprout
Stater Bros
Total Pet, My True Friend
Western Family
White Rose
Winn Dixie
Your Pet

Recalled Cat Product Information
Recall Information 1-866-895-2708

Americas Choice, Preferred Pets
Authority
Best Choice
Companion
Compliments
Demoulas Market Basket
Fine Feline Cat, Shep Dog
Food Lion
Foodtown
Giant Companion
Good n Meaty
Hannaford
Hill Country Fare
Hy-Vee
Key Food
Laura Lynn
Li'l Red
Loving Meals
Main Choice
Nutriplan
Nutro Max Gourmet Classics
Nutro Natural Choice
Paws
Presidents Choice
Price Chopper
Priority
Save-A-Lot
Schnucks
Sophistacat
Special Kitty
Springfield Pride
Sprout
Total Pet, My True Friend
Wegmans
Western Family
White Rose
Winn Dixie

Thanks for posting this, B. There's lots of confusion being reported at the moment. All I've heard in the media is that premium pet foods were involved. Absolutely not true.

We were feeding one of our cats SophistaCat (PetSmart brand) and Special Kitty (wal-Mart brand). There's nothing wrong with these foods, but definitely not premium. They're both on the list.

BUT, one must check each line in the above list posted by B (Recall List), as only some of the products are apparently affected. For example, in our case with the Wal-Mart brand, it's all the pouch food (we had the 5.5 oz tins). With PetSmart, it was 3 oz tins that had the problem and had none of those.

Nevertheless, we made a decision to return both brands to the respective shops anyways, even though there was no problem. Why? Because we wanted to send a message back to the brands and the manufacturer that negligence was involved. We had heard that some of the animals that Menu Foods uses to test their own products in-plant had died and the public were not informed until much later. They knew there was a problem!

The recall affects a portion of the dog and cat food Menu Foods manufactured between December 3, 2006 and March 6, 2007. Again, why did it take so long? Damage control?

So far, a new source of wheat gluten, that is put into the food, has been suspected as being the problem, although this is not confirmed as yet.

In the meantime:
Quote:
Stock price of pet food maker plummets
TORONTO, March 19 (UPI) -- The stock price of a big private-label pet food maker that recalled 60 million containers of wet pet food across North America fell nearly 24 percent Monday.

Menu Foods Income Fund fell 25.45 percent to $3.48 in mid-afternoon trading on the Toronto Stock Exchange after closing down 26 percent Friday after the recall was announced. [...]

source

Serves the buggers right. Mad
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 06:43 am
Re: Recalled Dog Product Information
Reyn wrote:

Nevertheless, we made a decision to return both brands to the respective shops anyways, even though there was no problem. Why? Because we wanted to send a message back to the brands and the manufacturer that negligence was involved. We had heard that some of the animals that Menu Foods uses to test their own products in-plant had died and the public were not informed until much later. They knew there was a problem!

Serves the buggers right. Mad

Good for you! Not only that....you also can never be too careful...when Zoe got a little bit of the (ahem) runs the other day, I freaked out and started watching her like a hawk, even though her food isn't on there.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 10:27 am
rat poison
CNN just announced that rat poison has been found in some of the recalled dog and cat food. Evidently someone set out to deliberately kill pets.

BBB
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 12:07 pm
Re: rat poison
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
CNN just announced that rat poison has been found in some of the recalled dog and cat food. Evidently someone set out to deliberately kill pets.

B, if you find a link for this story online, could you please post it?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 12:10 pm
Results 1 - 30 of about 337 related articles. Search took 0.05 seconds.

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1602348,00.html

Quote:
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 12:12 pm
Rat Poison Found in Recalled Pet Food
Rat Poison Found in Recalled Pet Food
By MARK JOHNSON
AP
ALBANY, N.Y. (March 23)

Tests turned up rat poison in the pet food suspected of causing kidney failure in dogs and cats across the country and killing at least 16, state officials and scientists announced Friday.

The toxin was identified as aminopterin, which is used to kill rats in some countries, state Agriculture Commissioner Patrick Hooker said. Aminopterin is not registered for killing rodents in the United States, though it is used as a cancer drug, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.

State officials did not say how they believe Aminopterin got into the now-recalled pet food, though they said no criminal investigations had been launched.

The Food and Drug Administration has said the investigation was focusing on wheat gluten in the pet food. Wheat gluten itself would not cause kidney failure, but the common ingredient could have been contaminated, the FDA said.

The pet deaths led to a recall of 60 million cans and pouches of pet food produced by Menu Foods and sold throughout North America under 95 brand names. There have been several reports of kidney failure in pets that ate the recalled brands, and the company has confirmed the deaths of 15 cats and one dog.

Signs of Trouble

Experts advise owners to call their veterinarian if a pet has eaten recalled food and shows symptoms of possible kidney failure. An animal could be in trouble if it:

· Stops eating
· Appears tired and lifeless
· Seems excessively thirsty
· Urinates much more than usual
· Vomits
· Has diarrhea
· Seems to have abdominal pain

Source: USA TodayMenu Foods last week recalled "cuts and gravy" style dog and cat food. The recall sparked concern among pet owners across North America. It includes food sold under store brands carried by Wal-Mart, Kroger, Safeway and other large retailers, as well as private labels such as Iams, Nutro and Eukanuba.

Menu Foods is majority owned by Menu Foods Income Fund of Streetsville. The company also makes foods for zoo cats, but those products are unaffected by the recall.

The company's chief executive and president said Menu Foods delayed announcing the recall until it could confirm that the animals had eaten its product before dying. Two earlier complaints from consumers whose cats had died involved animals that lived outside or had access to a garage, which left open the possibility they had been poisoned by something other than contaminated food, he said.

Menu Foods planned a media teleconference for later Friday, a spokesman said.

A spokesman for New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo said he was not aware of any criminal investigation involving the tainted food. FBI spokesman Paul Holstein in Albany said Friday he was not aware of any FBI involvement in the case.

"I don't know where we'll go from here," he said.

Aminopterin, also used as a cancer drug, is highly toxic in high doses. It inhibits the growth of malignant cells and suppresses the immune system.

A complete list of the recalled products along with product codes, descriptions and production dates was posted online by Menu Foods and is available at http://tinyurl.com/2pn6mm. The company also designated two phone numbers that pet owners could call for information: (866) 463-6738 and (866) 895-2708.
---------------------------------------

Associated Press writer Andrew Bridges in Washington contributed to this report.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 02:18 pm
The poison was identified in the Dog and Cat food by Cornell University personnel.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 02:18 pm
Quote:
Aminopterin is also used in some countries as a rodenticide, although it is not approved for this use in the United States. On March 23, 2007, ABC News reported[4] aminopterin was the chemical linked to a 2007 pet-poisoning incident: wheat from China containing the drug would have been used in a Menu Foods product, resulting in over 1000 pet deaths reported to an independent website,[5] although only 16 could be directly verified. The incident resulted in a massive recall of the affected foods.[6] The link to aminopterin was confirmed by New York State Agriculture Commissioner Patrick Hooker and Dr. Donald Smith, dean of Cornell University's College of Veterinary Medicine, in a statement released on the same day.[7][8]

[edit] Symptoms of poisoning and first aid
One article states that damage is done after a few hours of exposure, meaning fast first aid and medical treatment is critical. [9]

The previous article also mentions weight loss as one symptom of exposure. Another source lists additional symptoms: "Signs and symptoms of acute exposure to aminopterin may include nausea, vomiting, anorexia, stomatitis (inflammation of the oral mucosa), pharyngitis (inflammation of the pharynx), erythematous rashes (red rashes on the skin), hyperpigmentation (abnormally increased pigmentation), chills, fever, gastrointestinal hemorrhage, and renal failure (especially in high doses). May induce abortion in pregnant women."[10] First aid information is also included at the quoted source. The source article is discussing human exposure, so this may only be a rough guide for animals and pet symptoms.

from Wikipedia. .
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 02:23 pm
Aminopterin (4-aminopteroic acid), a 4-amino analog of folic acid, is an antineoplastic drug with immunosuppressive properties used in chemotherapy. Aminopterin is a synthetic derivative of pterin. Aminopterin works by competing for the folate binding site of the enzyme dihydrofolate reductase. Its binding affinity for dihydrofolate reductase effecticely blocks tetrahydrofolate synthesis. This results in the depletion of nucleotide precursors and inhibition of DNA, RNA and protein synthesis.

Its antifolate activity was first used by Sidney Farber ( Founder of Dana Farber Cancer Center, Boston Ma) in 1947 to induce remissions among children with leukemia.[1][2] Although more potent than methotrexate, it was replaced by methotrexate in the 1950s, due to unpredictable toxicity. Now in a more pure preparation, aminopterin is back in clinical trials for patients with leukemia.

The compound was used as an abortifacient in the 1960s and earlier, but was associated with congenital malformations.

WIKIPEDIA
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 02:31 pm
Thanks B and Beth for posting that info. Much appreciated.

Also for FM and Miller for follow-up.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 02:54 pm
Do you wonder, now, if any Rx medications are making their way into the USA from China?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 09:51 am
Okay, I'm assuming now that those that have been following this thread are aware that there is now a 100% recall (on the wet cat & dog food) on the products manufactured by Menu Foods.

Menu pet food recall widens

Menu Foods wrote:
Menu Foods Initiates Market Withdrawal of All Varieties of Recalled Wet Pet Food to Ensure Consumer Protection

TORONTO, ONTARIO--(CCNMatthews - March 24, 2007) - As a result of reports from the FDA and various media outlets that some recalled lots of "cuts and gravy" style wet pet food remain on store shelves, Menu Foods has asked all retail outlets to immediately remove all impacted varieties of wet pet food posted at www.menufoods.com , regardless of the date code.

Menu Foods remains concerned that consumers are able to purchase recalled items.

There is no known risk from items not listed on the recall list but an abundance of caution is called for in this situation. FDA has been apprised of this action.

Also, you can now join the class action lawsuit that has been filed:

Pet Food Recall Class Action
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 11:45 am
Filed for "Pain and Suffering" of the owners.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 02:43 pm
Reyn, I may be sick, I don't think that article says what you say it says. Doesn't it just say all of it's cuts-n-gravy products?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 02:45 pm
Reyn, second only to clowns, I am freaked out totally by ventriliquist dummies.
0 Replies