PET FOOD ALERT

farmerman

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 02:09 pm
Squinney--nope, the garlic is just for the flavoring. I have a buddy whose a vet working for ALPO over near Allentown. Thier "premium" dog foods have more garlic in it cause its a flavor enhancer for them. We also sometimes use water with beef bullion when we run out of canned to mix with their dry food.

My vet feeds a mix of dry food, thats been just moistened withabout 1/3 can of dog food. Whenever we go away for weekends we board our dogs with the vet and they start carrying on shortly after we get out on the road. Thye know their going to "doggie camp".
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 05:05 pm
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 05:15 pm
Go Hill's Science Diet! I have back up Hill's wet food for when my cat feels icky and refuses to eat his dry kibble. I imagine they might recall this as well. I'll feed him tuna until I hear further. It's a prescription brand and I'm guessing I'll have to call his vet about it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 05:19 pm
Thanks Miller. Ill check our pantry to see whether theres any SCience Diet cat foods. I think Mrs F getds Fancy Feats but Ill be sure.

Anybody have any idea what the ingredient was that cause the sickness?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 05:24 pm
I seem to remember reading some possibles in an early link, maybe on this thread, or, gee, on google, which by now has quite a lineup of articles, many of them repetitive.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 05:25 pm
One person took her cat to the Vet, the cat died as a result of kidney failure and the bill was $6900.

Whatever the ingredient in the food, it's surely toxic.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 09:31 pm
Singapore may be toxic pet food source

Singapore (dpa) - Singapore's Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority is investigating the recall of millions of containers of pet food sold across North America after 10 animal deaths, the AVA said on Monday.

It advised members of the public to immediately stop feeding the products to their cats and dogs.

Canadian pet food company Menu Food recalled dog food sold under 48 brands and cat food sold under 40 brands on Saturday after receiving complaints from US owners that their dogs and cats were vomiting and suffering kidney failure after eating.

The recall covers its "cuts and gravy" style food sold from December 3, 2006 to March 6, 2007.

It is sold in cans and pouches, and includes such brands as Iams, Nutro and Eukanuba.

The AVA is seeking to determine if any of the affected pet food has been imported to the city-state.

Dogs or cats which have consumed the suspect food and show signs of kidney failure such as loss of appetite, lethargy and vomiting should be taken to their veterinarian, the AVA said.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 06:45 am
Quote:
Iams, Nutro and Eukanuba

These are among the best of brands.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 06:50 am
I was very concerned when I read about this, because my son has two cats, whom he absolutely adores. If something happened to them, it would be like losing a member of the family.

I had no cause to worry. When I called him, he told me that he never feeds his animals cat food. He feeds them tuna that is made for humans.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 06:54 am
Miller wrote:
Quote:
Iams, Nutro and Eukanuba

That's what we're told.
In Oz you can't buy Iams & Eukanuba at the supermarket, just from the vet & specialty pet shops. Expensive, too.
But it's only the tinned (or "wet") products that are the problem, apparently.... but me, now I'm becoming a bit concerned about the dried varieties now...

I wish someone could explain what exactly it was (in the bad batches) that caused such severe reactions. I think people have a right to know.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 07:05 am
Hills Science Diet in the cans is also very expensive.

Vets advise against feeding dogs, human food too.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 07:23 am
Miller wrote:
Quote:
Iams, Nutro and Eukanuba

Not true. These are among some of the mid-grade foods offered. Despite the price.

We've been told these are premium foods but if you know a little something about pet food and do some homework, you'll find that all three of these brands use fillers and artifical preservatives in their foods as top ingredients; stuff which costs little for them to make. Those companies make a TON of money off their food.

You're best bet for dog food is one that is as natural as you can get it; one without artifical preservatives. One that lists meat products (whole or meal) first. Avoid by-product if possible as this often includes the ground up bone from the animal as well (filler!). It might appear to cost more at first, but you're dog will eat less and you will buy less in the long run.

With a dog that went through an awful first year with gastrointestinal issues, I've done a bunch of research on commercial foods. She is doing better on Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul than she ever was on Hills Sciene Diet Prescription food (which should be better for her, right? Confused ) AND the Science Diet cost TWICE as much as the Chicken Soup....and Chicken Soup has much better ingredients. I know we could do even better but so far, I haven't found anything she both likes and is good for her.

Get the Facts

Best Food

Dog Food Info

Kibble Analysis (this is interesting! Note where Iams, Euka and Nutro rate---3 star at best!)

Cost Per Pound
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 07:30 am
Oh and we've noticed a HUGE decrease in poo since she was taken off the Hills. Where as she was pooing 2-3 times a day, now she goes once, maybe twice if she gets treats. And the piles are much smaller. Proof to me that the food she is on now provides much better nutrition than the Hills.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 07:32 am
msolga wrote:

I wish someone could explain what exactly it was (in the bad batches) that caused such severe reactions. I think people have a right to know.

Aflatoxin.

Quote:
Aflatoxin, a naturally occurring chemical that comes from a fungus sometimes found on corn and other crops, can cause severe liver damage. Aflatoxin poisoning can cause sluggishness, lack of appetite and in severe cases heavy vomiting, fever and jaundice.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 07:37 am
Dog Food Analysis

Again Iams and Sciene Diet rank mid or low on the scale. Nutro get's a better rating on this one but I don't agree.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 07:42 am
Miller wrote:
Hills Science Diet in the cans is also very expensive.

Vets advise against feeding dogs, human food too.

Which is silly. Dogs don't eat bagged food in the wild. Humans started feeding them crap and that's what they get now. If any one of our dogs were wild dogs and were presented with a carcass or a bowl of kibble, which would he choose?

For those who can afford to feed their dogs human grade food, it's a wonderful option. But obviously, not all of us can afford a juicy steak for Fido.

If anyone is interested, check this out.

BARF

FAQs on BARF
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 07:43 am
Thank you, Bella.

Beg pardon if this information was there all along, somewhere earlier in the thread .... I missed it.

So now I'm wondering how this fungus came to be present in those particular batches of meat. Vegetables in the mix? (No, no one need try to answer. Just wondering away here ....)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 07:47 am
msolga wrote:
Thank you, Bella.

Beg pardon if this information was there all along, somewhere earlier in the thread .... I missed it.

So now I'm wondering how this fungus came to be present in those particular batches of meat. Vegetables in the mix? (No, no one need try to answer. Just wondering away here ....)

I am not sure...it was probably listed in one of the articles.

I think it was just that the ingredients were old or got wet or something and caused the fungi to grow. I think it occurs on corn and wheat...grains rather than veggies. Could be wrong here...but that would be my best guess.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 07:50 am
Thanks again, Bella.

Yes, I figured that it'd probably a good idea to go back & read all the articles & links provided here.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 09:00 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Oh and we've noticed a HUGE decrease in poo since she was taken off the Hills. Where as she was pooing 2-3 times a day, now she goes once, maybe twice if she gets treats. And the piles are much smaller. Proof to me that the food she is on now provides much better nutrition than the Hills.

Couldn't it also mean that she's simply getting less fiber?
0 Replies