P.A. Contis: Any Information?

Noddy24

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 03:36 pm
I have a print by P.A. Contis who was active in the Pittsburgh area in the '60's and '70's.

Does anyone have any information on this artist?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 744 • Replies: 5
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 03:42 pm
No, but I'll look around a little, that way I won't have to go out in the midday sun and rake dog poo....
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 03:48 pm
The only thing I could find on the Web was this:

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/3163674

I've seen the Contis name mentioned in books on Stow Wengenroth but I don't know if it is the same Contis or anything more than that the name is mentioned.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 03:48 pm
Just googling quickly I see a couple of Contis' who are listed as artists, not from PA, (both from New York as I remember), and not with the initial P.

However, there's a garage in Clinton, Pennsylvania named Contis Garage - maybe the artist is someone in that family.

http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Contis.Garage.610-623-9914
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 04:13 pm
Osso--

You have noonday sun. We have eight inches of snow.

I'm more interested in the artist than in his humble roots. I inherited the picture from a beloved family member and just decided to stop wondering about the artist and ask.

Fishin'--

You found my P.A. Contis. Not only can I see similarities in style, the signatures on the Live Auctioneer's sample are obviously by the same person.

I'm a little shocked at the price. I inherited my painting and while it has considerable sentimental value for me, I wasn't aware that it was also worth a little bit of money.

Thank you both.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 04:22 pm
Well, it's 76 here at nearly 4:30 pm. What the hell? We had a streetscape of snow not so long ago.

Fishin, that's great that you found it.
0 Replies