Disney introduces its first black princess

Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 02:50 pm
The Frog Princess," which will be set in New Orleans and feature the Walt Disney Studio's first black princess. "The film's New Orleans setting and strong princess character give the film lots of excitement and texture," Walt Disney Studios Chairman Dick Cook said. Disney said its new animated princess -- Maddy -- will be added to its collection of animated princesses used at the company's theme parks and on consumer products. The film is set for release in 2009.

Wow that's right - there has been about every ethic type of princess except black. Release in 2009 - didn't realize how long it took to make an animated film.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 828 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 02:53 pm
Little late for my niece...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 02:54 pm
Never too late - I still love watching the Disney princesses.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 03:00 pm
As one can see from your avatar, Linkat Wink

I think it's about time that Disney embraces all type of skin colors -
Pokohantas and Mulan was a step in the right direction, and I am pleased
to see a black princess coming into theaters. Although it could have
been a lot sooner than 2009, it's better late than never!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 03:56 pm
Don't forget Jasmine (Aladdin).

Mulan annoys me though. Not the character -- I think she's one of the coolest ones. But her inclusion in the "Princess" grouping. That was the whole POINT of the movie -- that she chafed against the uber-feminine role she was supposed to be playing. Yet for "Princess" stuff she's always pictured in full dress-up regalia, rather than as a soldier. Hmph.

Meanwhile, call me cynical (I am), but I expect that Maddy specifically came out of the demographic gap in the "Princesses" franchise. As in, first "Hey, we need a black Princess," then the movie. There are worse motivations of course.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 03:58 pm
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 10:29 am
And Esmerelda (not technically a princess - though as you said neither is Mulan) she was a gyspy.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 10:30 am
Wow.

Disney is finally getting people of color out of the submissive roles.

20 ******* years behind
but none the less... yay. Smile
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 11:29 am
Does the evil white prince shoot her kitten?
0 Replies