Can you help me find out what this is worth? Kenmore Ironer

Wed 14 Mar, 2007 05:28 pm
I'm trying to help my neighbor find out what this ironer might be worth as he wants to sell it.

I managed to find a photo of it but can't find anything regarding prices.

It is a Kenmore Automatic Ironer circa 1940s.

He has all of the original manuals for it -- operating and parts list, including the envelope the papers came in.

If my guess counts -- the thing still works.

Here is the photo (it's the big white roller thing):

http://www.co.jones.nc.us/7728023.JPG

Thanks for your help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 19,267 • Replies: 36
Topic Closed
No top replies

Chai

Wed 14 Mar, 2007 05:29 pm
Three dollah and fiddy cent.

sorry....
0 Replies

squinney

Wed 14 Mar, 2007 05:41 pm
4 dollah's. Do I hear four?
0 Replies

boomerang

Wed 14 Mar, 2007 05:45 pm
Here I am trying to help my poor, poor, little old man neighbor not sell his belonging for less than they're worth and you two jokers....

..... well.......

<sniff>
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Wed 14 Mar, 2007 05:48 pm
Thats it !

I gibe yew fihheee dorrahs!

Fihhe !
Das it!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Wed 14 Mar, 2007 05:54 pm
If I had a place to put it, I'd give 10 bucks!
0 Replies

Asherman

Wed 14 Mar, 2007 06:12 pm
That style of iron was very popular and many of them were made. They performed well, and I don't doubt that there are still many out there that remain in working order. Value is often determined by scarcity and demand, in this case there isn't much demand and there are a lot of the irons still around. Bottom line is that your neighbor's machine isn't probably worth very much at all. Its too large and heavy to be a prized collectible, though some collectors of old irons might be interested if they have a lot of space.

Perhaps a $100 price tag will find a buyer, or maybe it will go for as little as $25 to someone who has the space and remembers how good a job these old steam irons can do. Sorry.
0 Replies

boomerang

Wed 14 Mar, 2007 06:20 pm
If that's the case then that's the case. I hate to deliver bad news but....

The manuals might be worth more than the iron. We did find several similar manuals on eBay for around $20 each.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 14 Mar, 2007 06:24 pm
I dunno. I haven't seen or heard of one of those for decades. My aunt had something similar in the fifties.

A lot of old stoves are very valuable now. You might look up vintage appliance websites...
0 Replies

Green Witch

Wed 14 Mar, 2007 07:14 pm
I doubt it has much value. It's not useful, decorative or rare. Old ringer washers are sometimes used as water gardens, but this thing doesn't even have potential as a lawn ornament. I hope your neighbor isn't planning to send any of his kids to college on the sale price.
0 Replies

boomerang

Wed 14 Mar, 2007 07:26 pm
Ha!

My neighbor has great-grandkids older than Mo!

He's a pack rat trying to clean out his garage. I help him post things on craigslist because these newfangled computers are mystifying. I think money is much less an issue than space.

I don't want to see him stuck with something by asking to much and I don't want to see him ripped off by asking too little.

The vintage appliance sites are cool, osso!

The photo I posted is from some appliance museum -- that have some incredible things shown. It makes you long for the days that things were built to last.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Wed 14 Mar, 2007 07:26 pm
Boomer, when you pulled that photo from the "Things from Yesteryear" site, were you as caught up in the music as I was?

Oh, and is this you?
0 Replies

squinney

Wed 14 Mar, 2007 07:28 pm
boomerang wrote:
Here I am trying to help my poor, poor, little old man neighbor not sell his belonging for less than they're worth and you two jokers....

..... well.......

<sniff>

AAArgh! Just as I was reading that and got to <sniff> your avatar moved.

I've never seen it do that, let alone right on cue! Shocked

Okay. I'll give ya four fifty.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Wed 14 Mar, 2007 07:30 pm
Everyone, you may find Boomer's photo on this site, and while you are searching for the image, sit back in your chair, and enjoy the music.
0 Replies

boomerang

Wed 14 Mar, 2007 07:30 pm
Oh I didn't hear the music. Perhaps I should remove the mute from my computer.

Nope, that's not me. I have a different model.

This is me:

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/1926/11877488110e2583457moc0.jpg
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Wed 14 Mar, 2007 07:32 pm
You are hotter than my wildest dreams.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Wed 14 Mar, 2007 07:33 pm
Why not have a garage sale ?
Or a junkyard dealer might find use for it.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Wed 14 Mar, 2007 07:33 pm
There goes the thread.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Wed 14 Mar, 2007 07:41 pm
You see, Jane, I really thought we were making progress here. People were tossing out some pretty damned good ideas and I could tell boomer was getting excited and everything was going so fast and then you drop in and throw out that garage sale nonsense, and. well, it just seems like the life went out of the thread.

I know you meant well, Jane, but when the subject of vintage ironers comes up in the future, would you be kind enough just to keep quiet and let the adults talk?

Is that too much to ask?
0 Replies

squinney

Wed 14 Mar, 2007 07:43 pm
At some point you two need to just get a room. Could ya do that for us? Just get all that sexual tension out of the way once and for all?
0 Replies