moleskine sketchbook

Tico

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 10:26 am
Cool Keep posting, Vivien! I love the spontaneity and immediacy of these types of sketches.

(And it makes my fingers itch to dig out my own pencils and sketchpad!)

(You know that staring is cat language for aggressive challenge, right? Of course Rosie is perturbed. But she'll get over it. Smile )
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 05:43 am
thanks Tico

yes, I know it's an aggressive thing in cat language but I do the cat language thing of blinking! - I'm sure you've seen the slow blinks that say I'm happy and love you and I'm not staring aggressively! (weird woman sits there sketching and doing slow blinks at cat!!!)

yes, do some sketching! and post them here?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 05:03 pm
Those cat studies are terrific, Vivien. Cat watching is a glorious diversion.

I like the long studies too. I recall seeing similar things on your website and thinking what an inventive way to look at landscape - like through a narrow window. It really changes my perception. Love it!

I was thinking about you and your sketchbook just today.

Mo is suddenly making major leaps in drawing and writing and I think it is simply because I have been making an effort to do things by hand instead of on the computer. (Once again wishing against reality that I could draw.)

I think I'm going to surprise Mo with a sketchbook (and maybe one for me too) because seeing work all collected together (like your lovely book) is really so wonderful.

Thanks again for sharing your book with us.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 12:40 pm
Thanks for that Smile

I think the his and hers sketchbooks would be a brilliant idea - he could write a brief sentence about the art work - it will be lovely to look back on in the future. Very Happy

I went out sketching this afternoon - I'm going to do a project on our local rivers and canals, I'd done a lot of research - like where is the source??? I hadn't a clue! Embarrassed and found out fascinating history, ley lines, geology ... all sorts of stuff Smile

So today I thought it was lovely and sunny and I really should make a start. I went to this marina on the canal not far from where I was teaching - I had to use 'clean' media 'cos I was in my work clothes and I am a messy painter!

This one is in those Lyra skintone coloured pencils

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/vivien/eunionwharfmktharbsepiacpcopy.jpg

and this one was meant to be in ink but I decided after I'd sketched it out in line that I wanted colour so carried on with coloured pencils.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/vivien/eunionwhartmktharbcolpencilscopy.jpg

these aren't in the moleskine but in an 11 inch square Daler Rowney hardback sketchbook with heavy cartridge paper.

The wharf was busy in Victorian times with goods carried by canal but the warehouses had got very run down. Recently they did them up and turned them into loft apartments overlooking the marina, which is packed with narrowboats.

Osso you know some Italian - the moleskine sketchbook is Italian - people seem to pronounce it mole skin - is it moll ess kee nay?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 01:10 pm
I don't know if that'll be in my dizionario! I'm guessing, before I try to look it up, as mo-le'-skin-ae, but on the other hand, they pronounce some english words as english words, for example, sport is lo sport.

Nope...
Well, Babelfish says moleskin in English is moleskin in italiano, so I'd still say, if they're right, which they are probably not, as I'd rather trust the company... mo - le' - skin... or would I pronunce it that way?
Will have to remember to ask Raphillon.

A notebook, on the other hand, is a taccuino, emphasis on cui.

Aha! Babelfish is wrong, here's the ital company site -
http://www.moleskine.com/ita/_interni/storia/default.htm

So, I'm back to close to what you thought, guessing Mo-le'-skin-ae. But it could be Mo-le-skeen'-ae.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 01:34 pm
wow again vivien.

Smile
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 12:41 am
thanks Osso Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 12:49 am
I was no help, Vivien, but I had fun...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 01:11 am
Vivien, Finally made my way here. Glad I did. Your sketches are wonderful. Shewolf said they had a tactile quality. I agree.

You have a gift. Thanks for sharing it with us.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 08:33 am
Hi and thanks Roberta Very Happy

I've added a bit to the boat in that second one - it felt too short

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/vivien/eunionwharfmktharbaddedto.jpg

I think when I come to do a finished piece it would look good very long and thin horizontally to fit a lot of the wharf and more boats in - time will tell, more research needed Smile

I hope all is well with you?
0 Replies