Why we all love war

vikorr

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 10:18 pm
Quote:
snookered said:
You think?

Hi snookered. Even though my statement was rather simple, it plays out in so many different ways. I have yet to see a war that wasn't due to a power struggle, yet as simple as the thought is - the knowledge of such doesn't lessen the number of wars men fight.

Quote:
Quote:
snookered said:
The only ones who love war have never been in combat.

Do you think so? Sometimes it seems that people who have been in combat actually develop a taste for war.

Having never been in combat I can only go with you for the most part on this one (and I agreed for the most part anyway)…but what about sociopaths?

Quote:
Geligesti said :
Only good men start wars ... who would fight, to the death, for an evil person?

You think? Look up the exploits of any of the Great Conquerors, and you will see they killed many people who I daresay wanted nothing but to be left in peace. Then you have people like Bin Laden. Have you ever done any research on the Vikings? It seems stories of their practices sickened even their own population. Some people even think Bush is evil.
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 10:55 pm
vikorr wrote:
Quote:
snookered said:
You think?

Hi snookered. Even though my statement was rather simple, it plays out in so many different ways. I have yet to see a war that wasn't due to a power struggle, yet as simple as the thought is - the knowledge of such doesn't lessen the number of wars men fight.

Hi vikorr, I was agreeing with you. War has to boil down to power. Other reasons for war, which also boil down to power; Land-Israel and Palestine, oil-Iraq, Nuclear weapons - most of the world vs. Iran.

Quote:
Quote:
snookered said:
The only ones who love war have never been in combat.

Quote:
Quote:
vikorr said: Having never been in combat I can only go with you for the most part on this one (and I agreed for the most part anyway)…but what about sociopaths?

Are still talking about War as in combat? "Aiden" would have us believe that football is war.

I don't believe that real sociopath would make it through the physical, or Basic training, or even think about joining an Army.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 01:40 am
Quote:
Are still talking about War as in combat? "Aiden" would have us believe that football is war.

No, football is a game, Snookered- at least from my point of view- although some coaches (and I've seen this first-hand as well) would have their players believe that victory on the pitch or field is as important as a victory on the field of some battle.

Actually, I wouldn't have you believe anything you don't want to. By the same token, I'd hope that you would allow me to have my beliefs, even if they're different from yours. I think the world is a much happier place when people are able to believe what they want to believe. Maybe if everyone would be allowed their own beliefs without pressure to conform or change, there would be fewer wars- you think? Laughing

Quote:

This is another quote I thought was interesting Coberst, but again, I wonder if you think this has changed for most people. Maybe my view is skewed by reading this forum, but my impression is that most people can't abide mystery, and won't assign awe to anything that hasn't been laid out and put in perfect logical order- in other words, explained to their standards of scientific method, and even after it's been explained, they'll do their own fact check, thanks very much.
Awe is an emotion that seems to have gone by the wayside for the most part. If a person doesn't believe in anything, and nothing has meaning- where does awe even fit in anymore?
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 04:09 am
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 10:22 am
[
Quote:
Geligesti said :
Only good men start wars ... who would fight, to the death, for an evil person?

sar·casm (särkzm)
n.
1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 05:49 pm
Quote:
Aidan
This man was saying that in his unit in Iraq, there was one person who was chosen (at first by unspoken tacit agreement, but later by a spoken and agreed upon group strategy) to be the recipient of all the negative and bad feelings of the rest of the group. He didn't go into detail about how or why this particular person was chosen-but he did say that it was unifying and strengthening to the group to have this person on which to project all of the group anger and negativity-in other words a common place (in the form of a human being) in which to "sink their hate".

Interesting, huh? "Hate sink"- I think it's an incredibly accurately descriptive term for what some humans will do to another, as you said, to "fuel one's own aggrandizement and immunity".

It was probably "this" man that initiated this act of a BULLY. He was probably a bully as a kid, as a teenager and finally supposedly as a soldier. For all you know it was that one group of bullies. All this incredibly, accurately, descriptive term, (phew your wordy) is merely the same act portrayed on school yards around the word. A victim of a few bullies, scapegoat or not.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 11:30 pm
There is a fine line between love and hate. The killer of your loved one will receive the love that has been transposed into hate.
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 11:41 pm
talk72000 wrote:
There is a fine line between love and hate. The killer of your loved one will receive the love that has been transposed into hate.

I thought we were considering, "Why people like war?" Most people realize there is a fine line between love and hate.
The idea of love being transposed into hate, is well, stupid.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 12:44 am
coberst wrote:

Quote:

In terms of humans needing or wanting mystery, now that I understand in what sense you meant, this makes more sense to me, and I agree that this is characteristic of humans- I thought you were talking about mysticism. I guess it's important to remember though, when I question whether humans are still interested in and able to believe in phenomena that can't be explained, I should distinguish between humans living in developed and technologically advanced societies and human beings who don't. I think that distinction makes a huge difference in terms of what people believe, and how much they do or don't seek out mystery (of the mystical sort) in their lives and in turn how much they are willing to invest it with value.
Quote:
Humans have an overwhelming desire to invest life with great significance.

I was reading about the "lost generation" in Japan. These are the children of the generation of Japanese workers who pretty much embodied the term "work ethic" and apparently there is a trend for young adults in Japan now, to have just thrown in the towel in terms of work, or playing at their particular society. Although some of them come from privileged backgrounds, have gone to University and could participate in society and work in any way they chose-they have opted out- they sit at home and play computer games.
Do you think that in developed countries, the lack of "mystery" has contributed to a lack of meaning and purpose for some people?
I was thinking about that-that as people have denied that there is anything to believe in, they've focused that energy on themselves- and if they can't find meaning or value within themselves-they try to fill that hole with "stuff" or fame - and when that doesn't work- they just give up and find ways to make the time (their life) pass.

Quote:
Wo/man is not a player in society but is a player at society.
Civilization has become an uncritical style of life that sacrifices the free energies of the citizen to a self-absorbed and largely fictional pattern of social meaning.

Yes, like a big game. Why do you think some people have mastered it, while others just flat out refuse to play?

Quote:

As I said, I think some people just refuse to play- or if they do, they play it their way, without worrying about how anyone else plays it- without enforcing their rules on anyone else. Those are the people I truly respect.

Quote:
"And this experience, or at least an approach to it, is the ultimate aim of religion, the ultimate reference of all myth and rite…The paramount theme of mythology is not the agony of quest but the rapture of revelation."

Yes. And maybe all these wars are in search of that phenomena of apogee or revelation and that feeling of rapture.
To me, it feels like a connection. And when that connection is right- with whatever it may be- another person, a piece of music, a certain place at a certain time, an accomplishment or achievement that I didn't think I'd make or have, or even just an idea- there's no other feeling like it.

Snookered wrote:
Quote:
It was probably "this" man that initiated this act of a BULLY. He was probably a bully as a kid, as a teenager and finally supposedly as a soldier. For all you know it was that one group of bullies.

Yes. Don't you think that war is bullying- taken to the extreme? That's why I was saying that the definition of war should not just be confined to armed conflict within or between nations.

Quote:
All this incredibly, accurately, descriptive term, is merely the same act portrayed on school yards around the word. A victim of a few bullies, scapegoat or not.

Yes, but I don't think you should minimize what the cost is to those who are bullied.

Quote:
(phew your wordy)

I know- bad habit Laughing . But I did find hate sink to be "incredibly, accurately descriptive" to the point that it was worth the extra words. I mean, I can picture it-it just so accurately describe what one turns someone else into when they decide to bully, whether as an individual, small group, organization or country.
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 09:23 pm
Snookered wrote:
Quote:
It was probably "this" man that initiated this act of a BULLY. He was probably a bully as a kid, as a teenager and finally supposedly as a soldier. For all you know it was that one group of bullies.

Quote:
Yes. Don't you think that war is bullying- taken to the extreme? That's why I was saying that the definition of war should not just be confined to armed conflict within or between nations.
Quote:

No, I do not believe war is an act of bullying in any extreme, except possibly Bush and his "short Mans Bravado," to take a war to the wrong country.
Bullies always pick someone they believe can be dominated. Guys growing up always run into bullies. It's funny how fast a bully will become meek at the least bit of resistance.
Quote:
All this incredibly, accurately, descriptive term, is merely the same act portrayed on school yards around the word. A victim of a few bullies, scapegoat or not.

[quoteYes, but I don't think you should minimize what the cost is to those who are bullied.
Quote:

I wasn't aware that I was minimizing the cost of being bullied. It can caustic to a person constantly being bullied.
I was under the impression that the person who described the "hate-sink" term to you, thought it to be very prevelant in the Iraqi war.

Quote:
(phew your wordy)

I know- bad habit Laughing . But I did find hate sink to be "incredibly, accurately descriptive" to the point that it was worth the extra words. I mean, I can picture it-it just so accurately describe what one turns someone else into when they decide to bully, whether as an individual, small group, organization or country.

I believe that this is where I entered the discussion.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 02:21 am
Quote:
No, I do not believe war is an act of bullying in any extreme, except possibly Bush and his "short Mans Bravado," to take a war to the wrong country.

I disagree. War (when it's entered into offensively) is a bid for control.
Bullies bully to help themselves believe they have and can maintain at least the illusion of control.
I think the impetus for war and bullying spring from similar sources.
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 11:02 am
aidan wrote:
Quote:

I disagree. War (when it's entered into offensively) is a bid for control.
Bullies bully to help themselves believe they have and can maintain at least the illusion of control.
I think the impetus for war and bullying spring from similar sources.

Of course a war is entered for control. Bush (who is a bully) declares this war as "defensive." To stop Terrorists where they live. One doesn't (enter) a war defensively.
Obviously you haven't ever been bullied to any real extent. Bullies do have control over their victims. Than can maintain this control until the victim uprises.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 01:39 pm
Quote:
Obviously you haven't ever been bullied to any real extent.

No, not really (to my face at least, in real life). The only time I can remember someone trying to bully me was when I was in about fifth or sixth grade, this short kid with bright red hair named Jelly Bean (it wasn't a mean name-he accepted it and liked it all the way through highschool even after he grew) used to chase me home from school. Well, about the third day, I saved my apple from lunch and kept it in my brown paper lunch bag, and when he started to run after me, I just stood my ground and swung the bag and hit him in the head with it. He backed off, and shocked, he started laughing. We ended up being good friends.
So I think you're right-the trick is to fight back and not become a willing victim.

Quote:
Bullies do have control over their victims.

Sometimes though it is just an illusion of control. Some "victims" also get something out of the relationship, and cooperate manipulatively to keep it alive. And sometimes the bully is more pitifully needy than the victim- that's why they feel the need to act so socially inappropriately. It feeds an insecurity that is often much more massive than that of any of their chosen victims.
0 Replies

pswfps

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 11:52 am
"Why do we all love war?"

It's a long thread so I am unaware if this has already been said:-

The thrill is in victory. Humans love victory. Achievement. The pattern of accomplishment is self-reinforcing: To overcome a common enemy provides greater resource for the victor and also serves to crystalise group identity. With greater resource and group identity, the tendancy for war is increased. The trait is an example of a positive feedback loop in the complex, albeit somewhat abstract, process of evolution.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 03:14 pm
pswfps wrote:
"Why do we all love war?"

It's a long thread so I am unaware if this has already been said:-

The thrill is in victory. Humans love victory. Achievement. The pattern of accomplishment is self-reinforcing: To overcome a common enemy provides greater resource for the victor and also serves to crystalise group identity. With greater resource and group identity, the tendancy for war is increased. The trait is an example of a positive feedback loop in the complex, albeit somewhat abstract, process of evolution.
0 Replies

Dedshaw

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 03:21 pm
its human nature to destroy ourselves...we are doomed...some of us arnt as violent, but as the saying goes...a person is smart....people are dumb....and thats the truth....the basic idea is fighting for what we think is right, religiouns and personal beliifes....and if you have billions of ppl who think diffreenlty then you, wellllll your gonna have a hard time gettin along...sucks we all live on the same planet eh? criminals and murderers and such roaming the streets...get into trouble...half the coutnry wants capital punishment the other half doesnt.....and just by watching the news you can tell we are all screwd....because everyone just keeps gettin more and more and more and more violent and sick and morbid, killing animals and babies and going on killing sprees......flying planes into buildings, car bombs....oh yea...we are in for a grave future...this is kinda off topic but think about aliens for a minute, even if they did exist its obvious their behind hidden from the people...the govt. knows that mass amount of ppl would go haywire from it...ppl cant handle **** enough as it is cuz we're all ready killin each other..
0 Replies