Why we all love war

coberst

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 02:44 pm
The logic contained in killing others in order to protect our own life makes clear anything that may puzzle us regarding the frequency of war in human history. When I kill an enemy and thereby affirm the power of my life, then, certainly the staging of massive life-and-death struggles affirms our whole society. The outsider ponders known incidents when the mob delighted in watching the prolonged death of someone; we need not ponder if we comprehend sapiens' drive to survive. "They are weak and die; we are strong and live." "My God is stronger than your God".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,076 • Replies: 35
No top replies

aidan

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 04:03 pm
Coberst- my sister is currently doing a degree in business administration and management and she was telling me about this very interesting conversation that took place in one of her classes, that reminds me somewhat of the phenomenon of scapegoating that you bring up here.

There was a man in her class who had served a tour of duty in Iraq from which he had only recently returned. When the subject of human relationships within an organization (especially at work) came up, he mentioned a concept called a "hate sink". She'd never heard of it, and was asking me if I'd ever run across the term. I hadn't, so she explained it to me. Apparently, a hate sink serves the same purpose as a scapegoat.

This man was saying that in his unit in Iraq, there was one person who was chosen (at first by unspoken tacit agreement, but later by a spoken and agreed upon group strategy) to be the recipient of all the negative and bad feelings of the rest of the group. He didn't go into detail about how or why this particular person was chosen-but he did say that it was unifying and strengthening to the group to have this person on which to project all of the group anger and negativity-in other words a common place (in the form of a human being) in which to "sink their hate".

The rewards to the group were seen to be beneficial enough that the repercussions to this chosen person were no longer of any concern to them. She said this man expressed no embarrassement at having participated in this activity and expressed no concern for the person chosen to fulfill this role for his group. She said she asked him what happened to the person-and he responded that he didn't know and didn't care.

Interesting, huh? "Hate sink"- I think it's an incredibly accurately descriptive term for what some humans will do to another, as you said, to "fuel one's own aggrandizement and immunity".
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 04:44 pm
Aidan

Human behavior can be very freightening.

I had heard that expression of using the phrase 'heat sink' before' In the electronics business a piece of equipment will have heat sinks that are pieces of metal upon which an electronic component is mounted so that the heat sink would absorb the heat generated by the device. I have also heard the phrase that a home is an infinite 'money sink'. Any home owner can recognize the meaning of this term.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 05:03 pm
Quote:
Human behavior can be very freightening.

Yeah, we're always lugging stuff around...
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 12:29 am
I came to the conclusion many years ago, that behind every war, was a power struggle :wink:
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:52 am
vikorr wrote:
I came to the conclusion many years ago, that behind every war, was a power struggle :wink:
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 03:46 am
A related concept was expressed another way years ago. The idea was that if one wanted world peace, one would have to fake an invasion from Mars.
This idea was actually carried out by Orson Welles:

http://www.transparencynow.com/welles.htm

By humankind having to rally against "the other" a bond would be formed.
Apparently, one of the main drives of the human being is for power, and control. Sadism, on the personal level, is the ultimate control of another human being. The sadist has so much control, that he actually has a life and death power over another individual.

In groups, this same drive for power and control is observed in wars. This need for power and control is so prevalent in human society, that when one occasionally hears of some peaceful aboriginal group, the people in that group become a curiosity, something to be studied by anthropologists as an anomaly.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 10:32 am
Quote:
We have no way of knowing our self until we begin to study what these sciences have learned and can tell us.

Then how do you explain the Buddha, and enlightened person who "knew himself".

Also, that phrase was said to be inscribed in the temple of Apollo at Delphi in ancient Greece, and it has been attributed to at least five ancient Greeks:

Chilon of Sparta (Chilon I 63, 25)
Thales of Miletus
Socrates
Pythagoras
Solon of Athens

(From wikipedia on "know thyself")

All of them were men who lived long before the sciences you advocate. Science is cold and calculating, and there's more to human nature than that. To know thyself is not a matter of scientific knowledge. So I think you're on a wrong track with that remark.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 11:33 am
Cyracuz

I shall take refuge in ignorance. My ststement is based upon my present knowledge and I know nothing about Buddha. I suspect Buddha knows nothing about me.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 12:40 pm
Quote:
I shall take refuge in ignorance.

You don't have to tell me that... Twisted Evil
0 Replies

pswfps

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 11:14 am
Quote:
Interesting, huh? "Hate sink"- I think it's an incredibly accurately descriptive term for what some humans will do to another, as you said, to "fuel one's own aggrandizement and immunity".

Yes, that approach works quite well for the feeble minded.
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 09:17 pm
Re: Why we all love war
coberst wrote:
The logic contained in killing others in order to protect our own life makes clear anything that may puzzle us regarding the frequency of war in human history. When I kill an enemy and thereby affirm the power of my life, then, certainly the staging of massive life-and-death struggles affirms our whole society. The outsider ponders known incidents when the mob delighted in watching the prolonged death of someone; we need not ponder if we comprehend sapiens' drive to survive. "They are weak and die; we are strong and live." "My God is stronger than your God".

The only ones who love war have never been in combat.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 11:10 pm
pswfps wrote:
Quote:

Or for those with a feeble will. Do you think a feeble will is necessarily the result of a feeble mind? I think you're right, it definitely has to do with weakness somewhere-I'm just not sure exactly where that sort of weakness abides in a person- or why or when it develops.
Or if it is a developmental stage that most people go through-only it seems that the majority of humans get stuck in it.
But for those who do manage to develop through it and on into being able to stand as an individual without the need to pull others down in order to build themselves up- what do you think has made the difference.

A friend of mine was describing his father yesterday and he said that he was a wonderful human being- and then when I asked what made him wonderful in his eyes, he said, "He knew his own mind and heart and was absolutely incorruptible". I thought that was such a testament to his father- that his son saw him to be so-and so rare.
But why does it have to be so rare?

snookered said:
Quote:

Do you think so? Sometimes it seems that people who have been in combat actually develop a taste for war.
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 11:45 pm
aidan wrote:
pswfps wrote:
Quote:

Or for those with a feeble will. Do you think a feeble will is necessarily the result of a feeble mind? I think you're right, it definitely has to do with weakness somewhere-I'm just not sure exactly where that sort of weakness abides in a person- or why or when it develops.
Or if it is a developmental stage that most people go through-only it seems that the majority of humans get stuck in it.
But for those who do manage to develop through it and on into being able to stand as an individual without the need to pull others down in order to build themselves up- what do you think has made the difference.

A friend of mine was describing his father yesterday and he said that he was a wonderful human being- and then when I asked what made him wonderful in his eyes, he said, "He knew his own mind and heart and was absolutely incorruptible". I thought that was such a testament to his father- that his son saw him to be so-and so rare.
But why does it have to be so rare?

snookered said:
Quote:

Do you think so? Sometimes it seems that people who have been in combat actually develop a taste for war.

How would you know, If it seems that way? You have no way of understanding anything about men and women in war. Do you have exact knowledge of a "War Monger" (which your are suggesting)? Not just something you read.
Your an insult to my dead buddies in Vietnam, To the men in Iraq who go back to their unit after being injured.
It's called HONOR. Not many people can declare honor anymore.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 02:47 am
Sorry coberst but most of this thesis is "psychobabble". You cannot account for "war" a sociological or even an evolutionary phenomenon merely in psychological terms like "love" or "fear for one's own life" even if such emotions exacerbate the course of a conflict. You could equally start from a thesis that "war" is a "natural phenomenon" which occurs to a limited extent in many species who exhibit tribalism without the complication of "cognition". The fact that humans attach all types of convoluted rationality (religious, political, economic etc) to their urges to slaughter each other is little different to advocating "Gods will" for being swept away by a tsunami.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 03:20 am
There are many types of "war" - both figurative and literal.
In my mind I wasn't confining Cobersts theories or concepts to armed conflict between people of different nations. That's what I like about Coberst's essays- you can take them and apply them to whatever they fit in your own experience.
(The fact that the guy who explained the hate sink to my sister was a soldier was coincidental- I think there are people who do that in every working environment).

Snookered - what I said doesn't constitute an insult to anyone-and I try to personally not be an insult to anyone. But some people try very hard to take anything someone says as an insult to someone or something-illustrating exactly what Coberst was saying in his opening post.
You don't know what I do or don't know about war- either figuratively or literally. Incidentally, my own father is a veteran, and a very observant person, so I have heard a lot of first hand accounts about how different people respond to situations in war differently- and not always as you'd think they would.
Some people abhor conflict and do everything they can to avoid it and promote peace- and that's between nations and within individuals in their own interpersonal relationships -and others enjoy conflict and actively promote it- again whether that's between nations or within their own personal relationships- because they somehow seem to thrive on it.
And that's a phenomenon that has nothing whatsoever to do with honor.

But what I'm saying is those who must have conflict, and create it, if it doesn't naturally occur, do not really thrive, because (as Coberst alluded to) their self-gratification or aggrandizement is ill-gained and based on a false sense of accomplishment.
And that's a phenomenon that has nothing whatsoever to do with honor.
And I agree with pswfps- it's based on weakness (or feebleness) rather than strength.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 06:44 am

Civilization has become an uncritical style of life that sacrifices the free energies of the citizen to a self-absorbed and largely fictional pattern of social meaning.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 08:37 am
Only good men start wars ... who would fight, to the death, for an evil person?
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 12:31 pm
vikorr wrote:

You think?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 05:21 pm
Quote:
Max Weber the great sociologist showed us how power and prestige influences the division of the spoils of our economy; how war establishes our class structure; how economic considerations commodify subjects in our society; the prominent role of religion, myth, and the urge for eternal life affect our society; how we will sacrifice bread for belief and comfort for meaning; "how the whole panorama functions in a gigantic interplay of self-interest, survival, splendor and display, this-worldly waste and other worldly wonderÂ…and yet through it all how they satisfy man's basic urge to meaning, to ever-larger and more satisfying, evermore comprehensive meaning."

Do you still think this is true though? -particularly the part about sacrificing bread for belief and comfort for meaning- and then the part that I've italicized in color.
I was reading a thread today in which some (I don't think I read the whole thread, so I can't even guess what percentage) but at least some posters admitted they felt their lives (or existence) had no meaning.

It seems to me that it's become fashionable to view those who profess that they believe in anything at all, even in the meaningfulness of their own existence, as naive or deluded.

If there's nothing to believe in and your life has no meaning, then I guess it's all just killing time- at which point comfort, materialism, and realism would easily replace idealism.

Quote:
Civilization has become an uncritical style of life that sacrifices the free energies of the citizen to a self-absorbed and largely fictional pattern of social meaning.

I think this is what has happened. Because people express the fact that they feel their existence is meaningless, maybe they just absorb and participate in what seems to be meaningful to others around them. In other words because they can't find meaning within themselves, they look to others to provide it for them.
0 Replies