'Mad About You' question

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 02:31 pm
I have a niece who is hooked on Mad About You. So hooked that as her 18th birthday present, she'd like the complete series' dvd. I looked online and could find only the first 3 seasons on Amazon etc. Only one site, that I've never heard of - tvaddicts or something - listed all nine (?) seasons as available.

Has anyone heard of this Website? Would it be foolish for me to buy something from them online? Does anyone know of any other sites that I may not have pulled up in my searches online?

Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 952 • Replies: 9
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 02:39 pm
It appears that Season 1, 2 and 3 have been released as complete individual season sets. There is also a "Mad About You Collection" that has 21 episodes selected from across all 7 seasons.

Those are the only authorized releases so far. Season 3 was just released last month.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 10:47 am
Thanks, fishin.

I just bought her Seasons 1, 2 & 3. Couldn't find much info about the website tvaddicts.tv, so decided to just play safe and buy her DVDs from a legit website.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 10:50 am
Re: 'Mad About You' question
_Heatwave_ wrote:
I have a niece who is hooked on Mad About You.

Isn't that interesting? I wonder just what is the appeal of that 10+ year old show to such a young woman?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 10:54 am
It was terribly romantic in the early years. Helen Hunt was great in it. It got too bitter towards the end though.

I was in my early 20's when I started watching it, not engaged yet, loved it then.

Just checked, it started in 1992, so I was 21 and had just met E.G., got engaged a year and a half later and married 4 years later.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 01:03 am
sozobe wrote:

Just checked, it started in 1992, so I was 21 and had just met E.G., got engaged a year and a half later and married 4 years later.

I think that is kind of eoe's point, though, Soz. You had just met your husband-to-be right at the time a show about people who had just gotten married came on the scene. And with no children in the show, people who were engaged could relate to it more than a show about a suburban couple with kids. Timewise, the show was almost tailor made for your life.

Heatwave's niece was pre-school when the show came on the air, so the appeal to her is not so easily explained.

I do remember the show debuted just at the time Seinfeld finally became popular-it wasn't in it's early years-and Mad About You was consciously promoted as having the same comic sensibility as Seinfeld but starring a married couple instead of a collection of single friends. That angle never really materialized that I can see, and Mad About You was a good show with good ratings, but never achieved the gotta-watch-it status of Seinfeld.

I suspect that perhaps thereason the young lady in question loves Mad About You so much is because once that Seinfeld-Mad About You-Frasier era ended, there have not been that many good TV comedies.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 07:26 am
Hmmm, the reason I brought it up is that I was 21 when I liked it, the niece is 17. That's not such a big difference. I don't think it matters that she was in preschool when it started (I'm a big fan of Monty Python shows that first aired when I was in preschool...)
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 01:45 pm
Well, yes, she probably didn't like it when she was in preschool, assuming she was allowed to watch it. I'm sure she grew to to like it in later years.

All these cable channels playing old shows results in these seemingly out-of-time fan bases.

Monty Python might have been before your time when it came out, but it was such a unique show that it picked up later fans. But up till now, I never thought of Mad About You in quite that kind of company.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 08:40 pm
I wonder how many 18 year olds can appreciate "I Love Lucy"?
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 11:19 am
Ooops! I can't believe I said my niece is 18! She's actually 21. (I'm a little bit in denial that she's that grown up.)

She lives in India, and has been following the show for the last year or so, I guess. I don't have much of a chance to talk to her - just the sporadic emails with some photos on & off - life of a busy, college-going, young lady and all that.

I've never watched Mad About You, and don't think there're re-runs on any channel these days. I'd love to watch though. Was very curious as to why my tomboy niece (who once cut her beautiful hair ala Jon Bon Jovi), is so enamored by this show.
0 Replies