What's your favorite exercise?

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 03:50 pm
Unfortunately, I'm partial to pulling my chair up to the proverbial groaning board. This is counterproductive.

I do enjoy walking with a dog, but the current Family Dog is very territorial. She'll defend her house and her yard, but she's a quivering wimp on the highways and byways.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 06:28 pm
Swimming. Absolute favorite. Anything that involves water and me in it, actually, so long as the water is not frozen.

In close running is hiking. Get up, go outside, walk. Doesn't matter where.
The less fuss the better.

Camping isn't exactly an exercise but everything to do with it that is physical is my stuff. Right down to hauling your own water.

There have been a lot of others that I have enjoyed too, but these ones never get old.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 07:50 pm
Anything not involving a machine.

The hamburgers' original family doctor indoctrinated me with a fine hatred of any kind of exercise equipment. Insisted that getting out and doing anything was better than exercise equipment.

Swimming's definitely number one for me. Wish I had better access to a big pool. I can do laps for a long long time. It's probably when I feel absolutely best in the world.

Walking/cross-country skiing/canoeing. Loved dragon-boat racing but I bulk up too quickly to do that as a permanent part of a routine. The bellydance and Egyptian folkdance classes I've been taking since last June are pretty cool - first time I've ever liked a group fitness thing. Hmmm, nemmind, I loved TaeBo back in the day.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 08:20 pm
I checked walking, that's my favorite now. I jogged (descibing what I did as running would make JoeNation laugh) for about fifteen years in the seventies and eighties, bit of the nineties, and can't remember when I switched to walking or why. I think it was our arch office changing location. Wretched intersection (type F) between the office and all the lovely routes, and more intense work at work.

But I forgot swimming. I never really learned to swim, past the dog paddle, even though I'd taken swimming lessons as a child, twice, never getting any good at all at what we then called the australian crawl (dunno what they call it now) that being introduced in the last lesson the two times I took swimming about six years apart. I spent a lot of years being afraid of the deep end of a swimming pool. Then in my thirties I went to the local YMCA and took more than one series of swimming classes, probably three or four. Loved it!

Finally got the hang of the crawl and finally got up to doing a mile at a time; my husband and I would go to the Y about three times a week in the evenings. It was a bit of a hassle re the lanes, as I was never fast enough for the fast lane, and people in the slowest were in the way, mostly, and the middle was crowded.. Also, I would sneeze for two hours straight afterwards. Still, I remember how neat it was.

When I win the lottery, I'll get my very own long lap pool. (I tend to frown on them in real life, for ecological reasons, but since this is fantasy it's all right.)
0 Replies

BayAreaBiker2001

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 07:28 pm
Favorite exercise. Vast biking range
Since 1998, I have enjoyed biking. I have biked to San Francisco 18 times, to Gilroy twice, to Sunol, Santa Cruz, Sausalito, Half Moon Bay, and San Leandro once each. Next year, I plan to bike to Los Angeles during the AIDS LifeCycle.
0 Replies

BayAreaBiker2001

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 07:31 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I checked walking, that's my favorite now. I jogged (descibing what I did as running would make JoeNation laugh) for about fifteen years in the seventies and eighties, bit of the nineties, and can't remember when I switched to walking or why. I think it was our arch office changing location. Wretched intersection (type F) between the office and all the lovely routes, and more intense work at work.

But I forgot swimming. I never really learned to swim, past the dog paddle, even though I'd taken swimming lessons as a child, twice, never getting any good at all at what we then called the australian crawl (dunno what they call it now) that being introduced in the last lesson the two times I took swimming about six years apart. I spent a lot of years being afraid of the deep end of a swimming pool. Then in my thirties I went to the local YMCA and took more than one series of swimming classes, probably three or four. Loved it!

Finally got the hang of the crawl and finally got up to doing a mile at a time; my husband and I would go to the Y about three times a week in the evenings. It was a bit of a hassle re the lanes, as I was never fast enough for the fast lane, and people in the slowest were in the way, mostly, and the middle was crowded.. Also, I would sneeze for two hours straight afterwards. Still, I remember how neat it was.

When I win the lottery, I'll get my very own long lap pool. (I tend to frown on them in real life, for ecological reasons, but since this is fantasy it's all right.)

From 1975 to 1985, I too enjoyed swimming. I once swam nearly two miles nonstop or about 1.5 nautical miles.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 09:21 pm
So, I could swim, then. (Would probably expire mid lane at this point, as I'd have to learn to breath again.) I never was that great at treading water though...

Welcome to a2k, bayareabiker!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 09:31 pm
Let's see.

At home:
I do what Shewolf does. Crank the music up and either clean (sweating like a roasting pig) or dance/jump around. One hour of this - drenched in sweat, every muscle shaking. Love it.

At the gym:
Punching the heavy bag. Nothing comes close. It's a complete physical and mental release.

Outside:
Downhill skiing
Road biking
Cross country skiing
Canoeing

I bike every day, so downhill skiing will be my favorite, since I don't get to do it as often.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 05:52 am
schwimmin with bow legged wimmin
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 07:15 pm
@Chai,
Chai wrote:
What's your favorite exercise?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cf/Fish_Slapping_Dance.jpg
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 07:47 pm
@Linkat,
Hey, that's good. If you get serious about the kid's scooter, you might look up Kick Bike. They're a blast, and faster than you would ever believe. Not sure how they work on hills.
0 Replies