Papers show British Air Force hunted after UFOs

Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 07:43 am
Cunning Coney, your wit and courtesy shine through as always. Perhaps you can help us somewhat in this discussion, and lay to rest the question as to whether or not there is intelligent life in Canberra.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 07:52 am
WAITING FOR THE UFOs
Graham Parker

No-one can hide it anymore we know it's not imagining
Even the skeptics are unsure when they stop to think
People are not worth their life now they are obsolete
We're dying to be invaded and put the blame on something concrete.

Waiting for the ufos waiting for the ufos
We are waiting for the ufos we know that they're there

We're just a joke they sometimes crack, they'll get away with anything
The government is holding back, they won't say a word
Now is that a light in sky or just a spark in my heart?
Can I accept this as evidence or will that tear the whole act apart?

This new obsession is turning us alien too,
Too much more resounding my heart just stopped pounding for you

Waiting for the ufos waiting for the ufos
We are waiting for the ufos waiting waiting
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 08:23 am
The greatest ufo story i heard happened in rural Delaware about 10 years ago. Some county police saw a "ufo " and had a wide area search started. Finally they found this large metal object that they made the object of their intense investigation. They got the state police involved and when a few detectives showed up to inspect this object , they quickly discerned that it was, indeed, not an interstellar craft. the giveaway was the inscription on nthe side 'UFO" in block english letters. These aliens have a great sense of humor

lowan, there are a few examples of exceedANCE OF THE SPEED OF LIGHT IN NATURE. THE MOST USEABLE IS THAT (OOPS) the phase velocity of x-rays through glass exceeds the value of c. I see that as an opportunity and a problem. Its a problem in that wed have to carry these big pieces of glass around if we wanted to travel at super-c.

Also, besides the issue of exceeding mass boundaries , the conundrum of c has always been the issue of causality. for example if news could be sent at super-c speeds, then the news could actually preceed the event.

weve never been able to demonstrate a super -c speed until this experiment at MIT 9followed up by independent confirmation someplace in deutchland) so, id say that maybe in another 100 years or so well have a better understanding of boundaries in general. And remember that Einstein put the limit on c, so when we exceed c, we are obliged to redefine relatavistic space. everything just makes more work.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 08:36 am
Glass? All I have to do is carry glass around? Will my glasses work? There is "hyperspace" happening in my GLASSES? Wow!

Setanta (curtsying) - er, happen to LIKE lots of politicians - and public servants - I find Canberra interesting - gossip and suchlikewise!
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 09:42 am
The utility of personal opinions in this subject is moot. It's important to study the subject. And when you do, you'll find that some UFOs have features that are simply above our heads.

There are radar observations, expert testimonies, government leaks, etcetera. What will it take before we believe it's happening? What will it take?

The proof is there, you just have to dig into it.

We are not the only ones in the universe performing space travel and looking for other living planets! It's a statistical certainty that other inteligent life exists out there, and it's a statistical certainty that many of them are exponentially advanced on us. Try to put those two certainties together, and you're halfway there.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 09:52 am
Well, Our Dear Bunny, no offense was intended, and i'm gratified to think that you find Canberra and its seasonal inhabitants interesting. Washington and it's temporary residents often cause be to despair, but then my natural inclination to take almost nothing seriously reasserts itself, and all seems well.

I was amazed to see you curtsey, and you do it so gracefully ! But, then, given your Harvey-esque nature, i ought to have known.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 09:55 am
wolf wrote:
It's a statistical certainty that other inteligent life exists out there, and it's a statistical certainty that many of them are exponentially advanced on us. Try to put those two certainties together, and you're halfway there.

Wolf, please explain how these are statistical certainties. So-called "statistical certainty" is very frequently claimed by creationists to "prove" that life on earth having originated from non-life is impossible.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 10:05 am
The manipulation of statistics is a relatively new form of prostitution--and, in fact, it only really enters the public realm after the 1830 parliamentary fight over the first reform bill in England. Since that time, however, those who would weild statistics to bludgeon the non-believer have lost no time in adopting the weapon. Any bald statemens about statistical certainties enter into that arena of prostitution in which exotic dancers are usually found--which is to say, that one pays one's money and neither gets kissed nor screwed.

My take on statistics as "proof" of anything is to remind everyone that four out of five doctors represent 80% of a statistically insignificant sample. If you don't provide the numbers, and back up their provenance, you are engaged in the intellectual equivalent of pissing into the wind.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 11:28 am
There is no statistical certainty, rather there is a statement of probability. The probability that something might happen should be reason to give you pause, BUT it is not a guarantee that it will happen. One of the problems with the arguments over UFO's is that too many people throw around terms they either do not understand or use incorrectly to bolster a weak argument.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 11:36 am
wolf, you'd get a lot more respect if you ratcheted down all your hyped-up "certainty" talk, and admitted that we really don't know what UFOs are. You're losing credibility by making it sound as if you "know" something that you really can't. I can't help but remember, when I read your posts here, that you have made some pretty wild statements elsewhere.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 04:01 pm
Crying Wolf?

Oh my! Sorry! Couldn't help it - mutant sense of humour - disappears, chagrined....
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 04:07 pm
Of course we don't know what UFOs are. That's what the "U" stands for.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 04:14 pm
LOL!
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 11:47 am
I've had heavy pc problems that took me some time to fix. It'll take a bit more to get me crying. Smile

I advise everyone to investigate the evidence for yourselves, check the links etc. No more witty remarks out of primitive emotionality -- investigate. Science more than ever.

I've been studying this topic for over ten years -- didn't believe in it at first, just like you guys.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 11:54 am
wolf wrote:
I advise everyone to investigate the evidence for yourselves, check the links etc. No more witty remarks out of primitive emotionality -- investigate. Science more than ever.

I've been studying this topic for over ten years -- didn't believe in it at first, just like you guys.

wolfie: "primitive emotionality"? give me a break! Science doesn't have all the answers. Emotions are things I certainly hope I never lose. I bet you're a sheep in wolf's clothing and you really 'feel' as well ...

Then, your 2nd paragraph appears to be in support of UFO's; ok, I'm dizzy now Rolling Eyes :wink: ...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 01:24 pm
No more witty remarks, wolf? Yassir!
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 01:26 pm
Hey, Roger:

Yassir, that's my baby,
Nosir, don't mean maybe ...
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 02:15 pm
I didn't wanna step on your toes, sweetcomplication. Of course I feel too.

What I mean is, that there is a lot of scientific investigation to be done into the UFO phenomenon, before leaping to judgments. And a bit of detective work quickly tells us that very credible people gave very incredible testimonies on this subject.

http://extraterrestrial-life.net/
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 03:22 pm
You know, Wolf, you just won't give up until someone punches ya in the nose. I've visited the sites you've linked, and they are shite. I've had the decency not to point this out, but given the nasty remarks you have repeatedly made about me why bother?

The author of the screed at the site you have just linked is described as "T. Deflo, Philosophy MD." Tell me, Wolf, what it is that a Philosophy MD does? When your arguments get sick and twisted, do you call a Philosophy MD to come prescribe a healthy form of wisdom? My achin' ass, you have got to be incredibly credulous. People like T. Deflo count on the credulity of those such as you, and your desire to believe which allows them to foist the most outrageous crap onto their audience.

T. Deflo wrote:
I studied Philosophy for 4 years and terminated 1996 with a graduate thesis about the possible existence of extraterrestrial intelligent life.

Now what precisely is that supposed to mean? I don't really need to ask that, however. This clown is providing a semblance of credentials, without having in fact claimed to have graduated with any type of degree from any specific institution of higher education. He/she knows the audience well, giving a patina of expertise for the suckers who came looking to be convinced of that which they were already eager to believe.

So what do you plan to do for a living when you grow up, Wolf? Philosophy MD . . .
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 03:28 pm
For 50 bucks I'll get a scientist or "expert" to say anything. For a little more I can get him/her to do this in a court of law.
0 Replies