THE BRITISH THREAD II

izzythepush

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 02:31 pm
@margo,
You don't know the half of it, she's learnt to speak fluent Chinese so she can avoid talking to me.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 02:55 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Even I read it sometimes - it shows up on my google news list. Harrumph.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2014 01:10 pm
@izzythepush,
I love your kid, give a hug!

Mine used to imitate Beavis and head bang while singing, "Breaking the law, breaking the law." It concerned a couple of teachers. Kids with smarts and a sense of humor tend to concern some teachers.

She's a a working Archeologist after being graduated Summa cum Laude.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2014 01:31 pm
So, were any of you into the Northern Soul scene?

I enjoyed this article, might like the film -

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/oct/11/northern-soul-rebellion-dance-floor-paul-mason

Me, I was around when Rock Around the Clock was newly on the radio, 1954, poorly informed then and no doubt less well informed now. Still, I enjoy stories like this.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2014 02:35 pm
@izzythepush,
My two daughters developed a language they used up into their teens. I used to think it was giberish in an attempt to gaslight me. Now I'm not so sure.

Kids are a great gift.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 05:28 am
'Illegal immigrant with Ebola missing in Leicester' hoax poster appears in medical centre

Why was I reminded now of a former frequent poster here?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 07:24 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Not to be confused with Dale Maily.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 01:36 pm
@izzythepush,
Just wondering: as it seems, the UK will leave the EU - and it seems as well, as all is just and only about immigration.

What makes me wonder is that no-one seems to talk about the fate of nearly 2.5 million Britons, who are living in various EU-countries - hearing fewer foreign languages spoken on British trains means that English would be spoken less often in European trains.

There will still be some British troops in Germany until the end of the decade - the British Forces Healthcare in Germany is done in five German civil hospitals (Designated German Provider (DGP) Hospitals), European Health Insurance Cards are provided by the Guys & St Thomas NHS Trust.
It's not just to make new reciprocal healthcare agreements.
contrex

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 02:05 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Just wondering: as it seems, the UK will leave the EU

Don't bet on it.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 02:08 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
There's been a lot of fuss about Europe because of the Clacton byelection, and the Tories are sounding tough on Europe because there's an election coming up.

If there is a referendum, and it's by no means certain there will be one, people will seriously have to weigh things up. Most people see UKIP as a bunch of nutters, they're just very vocal, and take advantage of voter apathy in mid term elections.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 02:35 pm
@contrex,
You're spot on, contrex. Everyone is letting off steam at the moment because one protest vote mid term won't really have any ramifications.

When it comes down to the proper, serious matter of the referendum vote, it will be a Scotland all over again, with the silent masses voting quietly to stay in.
As long as we stay out of the ill thought through timebomb Euro, and Brussels is hopefully made to be a lot more transparent, with a few fine tune tweaks here and there, the EU could be a great place to be in the future.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 09:40 am
So UK towns are 'under siege' by migrants and foreigners, feeling "swamped" by them.

And I wonder, how some Spanish towns feel with 1.5 million Britons living in Spain. (In Germany, we've fortunately only 130,000 British co-citizens, besides a few tenthousand soldiers and their families.)
georgeob1

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 10:02 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Do you feel the same about the many Turks in Germany? My impression is that most Germans feel they're at best unwelcome guests.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 10:14 am
@georgeob1,
I'll have to tell my Turkish-German cousins-in-law that they are at best unwelcome guests Rolling Eyes

Seriously, Turks have been part of many German communities for over 30 years now. It may be different in some parts of Germany, but they are simply part of the family/community in the areas I am familiar with.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 10:35 am
@georgeob1,
Really? I'm not familiar which such acquaintances.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 10:39 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Seriously, Turks have been part of many German communities for over 30 years now. It may be different in some parts of Germany, but they are simply part of the family/community in the areas I am familiar with.
Most have got the German nationality. (I friend's son-in-law is of Turkish origin, a chief inspector in the police. Her daughter is of ["German-"]Russian origin, a lawyer.)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2014 05:31 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

So UK towns are 'under siege' by migrants and foreigners, feeling "swamped" by them.

Another rapid volte face by Tory ministers.

Quote:
Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has said he "misspoke" when warning that some areas of the UK could be "swamped" by immigrants without changes to European Union rules on movement.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29784486

Maybe your post is what tipped him over. (I like to think it was.)

This is one European we're very happy to welcome to Southampton.
http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/cms_images/player/graziano-pelle-shirt-signing148-1749303_478x359.jpg
lmur

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2014 05:39 am
@izzythepush,
Wasn't sure where to post this. Here seems as good a place as any.
It appears that illusionist, David Blaine is furious. His record for doing f*** all in a box for forty four days has just been smashed - by Mario Ballotelli.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2014 05:52 am
@lmur,
Hooray!
lmur

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2014 05:58 am
@izzythepush,
Nobody likes a gloater!
0 Replies