THE BRITISH THREAD II

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 10:25 am
When Cameron made comments in New York to Bloomberg, the city's former mayor, unaware he was being recorded, he said ...
"The definition of relief is being the prime minister of the United Kingdom and ringing the Queen and saying 'It's alright, it's okay'. That was something."
And then ...
http://i60.tinypic.com/3522d5v.jpg
"She purred down the line."
50 Shades of Eton.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 10:40 am
bump
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 10:41 am
bump
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 12:59 am

1. I never liked Frank Lampard much before, but he's doing okay for the Super Blues.

2. I wonder what's happened to Spendius?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 01:06 am
@Walter Hinteler,

Apparently Her Madge doesn't watch the BBC, and Cameron thought he's phone her to let her know the outcome.

Perhaps she can't afford the TV Licence.

"By the way, ma'am, now that you've learned that your kingdom is not to be broken up after all, how do you feel?"

"Are you quite sure one's holiday let is quite secure, Mr Cameron?"
izzythepush

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 02:16 am
@McTag,
Has anyone seen Plebs? It is really good.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 03:05 am
@Walter Hinteler,
He had probably been cut off halfway, and the purring noise was just the dialling tone.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 05:43 am
@Lordyaswas,
There's an interesting report in one of your favourite papers: Forgive me, your Majesty: Cameron's humbling apology after boasting that Queen 'purred down the phone' to him over Scots vote
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 05:51 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It's nice to see you reading my so called favourite papers so regularly, Walt. Wink
McTag

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2014 01:54 pm

I see the Royal Air Force up to yesterday had flown six sorties over Iraq and had taken out a pickup truck.

Field Marshall Montgomery, thou shouldest be living at this hour.
McTag

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 03:42 am

Another stooshie brewing, a bigger one this time

Quote:
A MAJOR stand-off is looming between Westminster and the Scottish Parliament over controversial Tory plans to scrap human rights legislation.

The Scottish Government last night joined condemnation of Conservative proposals to repeal the Human Rights Act – which enshrines the European Convention on Human Rights in domestic law – should the party win next year’s general election. The move would require the consent of the Scottish Parliament and MSPs will be called on to block the move, the Scottish Government said.

If Westminster still wanted to proceed, it would then have to rewrite the Scotland Act, the legal foundations of the Scottish Parliament.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/tory-human-rights-plan-provokes-holyrood-rebellion-1-3562556
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 03:56 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

I see the Royal Air Force up to yesterday had flown six sorties over Iraq and had taken out a pickup truck.

Field Marshall Montgomery, thou shouldest be living at this hour.

Don't you mean Tedder or Harris?

Notes:
1. Marshal (one L)
2. Shouldst
3. Allegedly, Monty liked towelling down adolescent boys after they had been for a run and a shower, and Field Marshal Slim (14th Army) liked having little boys on his lap and having a little fiddle.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2014 09:55 am
This toe-to-toe between Wenger and Mourinho was interesting - I'd never thought, Wenger could be so aggressive.
McTag

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2014 12:47 am
@contrex,

Notes yet? Have you ambitions to take over from JTT as resident prat?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2014 12:51 am
@Walter Hinteler,

David de Gea saved a few blushes by his performance yesterday, I just having seen my MOTD2 recording this morning.
Everton were going for a record of three wins against United, and were unlucky to meet a goalkeeper in such fine form.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 04:40 pm

Look out, Walter, UKIP is taking over the south coast, where the foreigners come in.

Wink
izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 05:41 pm
@McTag,
Have you ever been to Frinton On Sea?

Quote:
Indeed, the most exciting drama to hit Frinton since the opening of the much-disputed fish and chip shop at the end of Connaught Avenue (called, with admirable irony, Nice Fish and Chips) is the row about the town's first pub. Old AA guidebooks used to dismiss the town with a single line: "Frinton-on-Sea has no pub." Local outrage at plans to open one and the many meetings that followed have been rumbling on since donkeys wore high hats.

The anti-pub lobby has always insisted that pubs are against the original Frinton spirit and that there are plenty of clubs and hotels in the town where locals and visitors may take a drink (if they must) without Frinton going the whole hogshead and opening a public bar. But at the beginning of August the Kent brewer Shepherd Neame is to cut the ribbon on a pub-with-food on the site of the former Blowers and Coopers ironmonger store slap in the heart of Connaught Avenue.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/uk/easternengland/722519/Essex-Mind-your-Ps-and-Qs-in-Frinton.html
contrex

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 10:11 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Have you ever been to Frinton On Sea?

There used to be, in British Railways days, a sign outside Liverpool Street station which read HARWICH FOR THE CONTINENT and, it is said, a wag added FRINTON FOR THE INCONTINENT.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 10:58 am
@contrex,
I know, I lived there for a year. Weirdest place I've ever been too. There was a secondary and two primary schools, but the average age was 70. Mary Whitehouse was from that neck of the woods, backwards, reactionary, right wing and highly religious.

At every school my daughter went to she was a good kid, when she was at Frinton she was the bad one. I was once called in to see the headmistress because some of the parents complained after hearing her sing, 'I'm smarter than the Devil.' She was copying Homer from the episode where he sells his soul for a doughnut.

Nowhere else would this be a problem let alone one where parents had to be called to the school.
margo

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 11:14 am
@izzythepush,
You've been breeding a right little rebel there, ITP. Shame on you! Laughing